Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeosu City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbit77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Yeosu City Reply with quote

I'm moving to Yeosu City in February, and I would love to find anyone who is currently or has lived in Yeosu. I'll be teaching Kindergarten at English Space Academy. Thanks! :D
pmwhittier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get many responses here, I recommend checking out Facebook. Every city (and many neighborhoods even) have a Facebook group these days. Dave's serves a purpose (contract review, etc.) but FB seems to be where people meet and discuss current events.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew and visited some folks down there, years ago.

I found Yeosu quite lovely.

Not too cold in the winter, mountains, beaches, KTX, access to decent stores, pubs...

It is a nice little area.
imogen1991

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Yeosu Reply with quote

Hey!

I am currently living in Yeosu. Been here since April 2015 and will be here until around Mid August Smile

Yeosu is a beautiful city, nice beaches and good weather. Unfortunately we no longer have any foreigner bars which is a shame but there are a couple of places to hang out and drink if that's what you're into. Cinemas, bowling etc. Not too far from Gwangju for a decent night out. Can be in Busan in around 2.5 hours on the bus.

There is a facebook page called Yeosu Wayguks, it's quite active and is a good place to connect with people Smile
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Do Check Out Yeosu Waeguks Reply with quote

Do please check out Yeosu Waeguks, because they should be able to help you make friends. Well, I used to teach in Yeosu. It is actually a rather beautiful place, especially in spring and autumn, with the lovely flowers or the vivid, intense, autumn leaves. But it is rather spread out into different districts that were once seperate towns, divided up by steep hills everywhere. The Yeocheon area, near City Hall, is my favourite, because it's pretty, and you can easily walk to the Seonseo area. Seonseo means shipyard, but now it's just a narrow and picturesque inlet of the sea. You can walk or jog right around it and take lovely photos. I used to meet friends and go to Korean bars nearby.
There is a lovely little pond nearby, and a cafe, where the owner sometimes has English conversation groups midweek. It's called Yeosu English Cafe and is on Facebook. This might be an option depending on your schedule.
Yeosu has gyms, cinemas, cafes, restaurants and open air markets (especially Seoshijang Market). However, things are a bit spread out, but there'll be plenty of shops and restaurants where you are.
Someone mentioned that the foreigner bars closed. Unfortunately that's true. In 2014, there was a foreigner bar. It was called KUMPEL, and was in the Yeoseo-dong area, on the 7th floor of the building where BaskinRobbins is. The owner of KUMPEL spoke good English and was interesting and friendly. Sometimes the bar would be heaving with people. But go there a week later. It would be dead. There would be 2 very shy Koreans in the corner drinking Cass with salted seaweed crisps and sugared octopus tentacle. And that would be all.
Some years ago I taught in another part of Korea. The night life was good because the western people were friendly. We hung out with some Koreans too. But the crowd in Yeosu was a bit strange, and hard to pin down, and not easy to get to know. I think that partly because of Yeosu being somewhat spread out, people didn't make such an effort. By all means DO try to contact people through Facebook on Yeosu Waeguks. Bear in mind that it might also be a good idea to use Facebook to contact foreigners in Gwangjiu. Gwangjiu is the nearest large city. It is a nice place to spend the weekend and is not too far away. The nightlife there is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: