Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

penned in..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphalfa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: penned in.. Reply with quote

The majority of the classrooms in which I teach are physically too small to accommodate the large number of students and desks present. The width
and length of the classrooms are 4 paces by 5 paces, respectfully. This area accommodates 15 desks (15 students) leaving little room to maneuver. There are no windows in most of the classrooms and students continue to wear 'michelin tire ' coats. The room gets warm with so many present and sometimes smells. The students are the ones who point this out to me. Leaving the classroom door open is not an option and neither is moving to another classroom. On a few occasions I've changed the design of the classroom to better function. An often heard comment from students and teachers is 'Change!, you can do that here? I always try to be innovative in my classes but I and the majority of my students feel
'penned in' limiting our activities. Do any of you find yourself in a similar situation? Are their any plausible solutions?

alphalfa
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to Korea

Rolling Eyes
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: i am Reply with quote

I am in the same boat, but I have windows (thank goodness).

Last year there was a girl student who we foreign teachers called, "The Farter". She would let these awful silent farts... just horrible. It took weeks to figure out who was doing it. When she left, the awful stench left with her.

Thank goodness!
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: i am Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
I am in the same boat, but I have windows (thank goodness).

Last year there was a girl student who we foreign teachers called, "The Farter". She would let these awful silent farts... just horrible. It took weeks to figure out who was doing it. When she left, the awful stench left with her.

Thank goodness!

Hahaha...That's the funniest thing I've read in a while!
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Ripping Students! Reply with quote

Don't you just hate the silent ones? Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Embarassed Mad
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm . . .

you didn't state anything about the ceiling height, but I'm betting/hoping it is about 8 feet.

If so, it would be worth it to get one of those good, solid wall mount fans. Get the school to pay for it, if possible.

Room decorations may not help the temp, but may well help the astmosphere. If it is 'your' room, do all you can!!! A room you & the kids like makes a big difference . . . As for the coats, isn't there anyplace the kids can leave them???

Since I can't see, I don't know, but I am guessing that your school is one of the ones making pi out of mu . . .

Good luck!

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: