Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daejeon bars...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
definitely maybe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smuttynose is a fine, handcrqafted New Hampshire microbrew. I'd drink one.
toadkillerdog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love newbie reviews.
dudetaejeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watermelonsugar is a gay bar, notice the mushroom headed phallic hanging in the corner.
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hahaha Reply with quote

VFRinterceptor wrote:
Instead of writing back, I just decoded your words, they are bolded. Enjoy.

Anyways, what we have here is another fat western chick making friend . . . I mapped your type a long time ago. You couldn't get a guy to take your pants off if you had a $100 bill hanging out of your pants. Let's move on. . . a virtual hell for any fat person to navigate. Not to mention dance! The club is on the 2nd floor! Who knows what kind of weight this bovine is packin? . . . Maybe it just feels like a gay bar to her because guys would rather hit on eachother than talk to her....ANYHOO, moving on... . . Unfortunately for her JROCK doesn't have one of those 'stamp card' things, otherwise, they'd have to build a slide from their 2nd floor window to slide food down to her. Let's keep going... . . .induces beer goggles on and looks at herself to boost self confidence. An interesting tactic...I'll have to study about this. . .I'm guessing you tried to write 'FAT GUY' up there, but you're fingers are so big, as with the rest of you, that it must've hit both. . . I guess sitting alone at the bar for 4-5 hours chugging your 20th Cass, you're bound to open your mouth to say something other than holding your 5th bowl of pretzels or cheesy poofs and saying "NOM NOM NOM MORE NOM NOM NOM (repeat)"
[/quote]

Wow. Overkill. With a personality like that, do you really wonder why you're not a hit with the ladies?

It's astonishing how some posters on here assume all western women are fat and unattractive. It's just not true, and it's certainly not true when western women are compared to some of the western men in Korea. Trust me - I swing both ways and I have to say that I saw far more women I'd want to sleep with than men.
BaldTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that some cities a third the size of Daejeon have about as many foreigner bars. I've had some great times in Daejeon, but in my opinion, most of the bars are a waste of time for longer than 20-30 minutes. I need to go out and have a break.

Yellow Taxi is the new bar and it's great.

Cocoon is garbage. Basically, you pay 12$ to have people be in your f'ing way. Sometimes you can meet some nice girls in the bar room but forget about going anywhere near the dance floor.

Sponge is 100% hit or miss. Sometimes there's a decent crowd and a few nice ladies. Other times it's packed beyond capacity and they play crappy songs by Rihanna so god damn loud you can't hear yourself think. Then a bunch of geniuses start dancing by the pool table so you have to shove your way to the washroom. Playing music is fine, but turn down the volume down a little bit so I can have a conversation. And sometimes it's dead.

Lucky Strike is okay.

GS25 is great. So are the red chairs outside of Cocoon.

There are a bunch of good bars in Dunsan- Go with your friends. Foreigner bars are a last resort, plus they're getting douchier by the week.

I don't go down to Eunhang-dong too often, but J-Rock and Brickhouse are both decent bars. Watermelon Sugar is the worst place in Daejeon. Some dude tried to kiss my face once there and you can't even move. I hate it when people get in my way, so why would I go to a place where people are in my way on every side of me? I don't go places to dance, I go to hang out with my friends and meet women. Even if I wanted to dance, there would be no room. Plus if I started dancing, some gay dude would probably try to feel my *beep* or something.

You want a good club, go to Xenia which is outside the Yousong Riviera hotel. That's a good club. Since you're foreigners, don't expect them to bring many girls to you. That's no issue, you can bring the girls to you yourself.

Santa Clause is great too. That whole neighborhood is great.

Sponge Bar is usually a last resort and the guys who work there do kind of seem like dicks.
TK421

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, totally unnecessary to make fun of someone's physical appearance, or what you assume to be their physical appearance, for an entire post just because they disagree with what you said about the bars and the people in them. You sound like an extremely immature @$$hole and if you talk to people like that in real life you'd get your ass kicked on a daily basis. If I heard you say something like that to one of my girl friends I'd break your nose before you finished your sentence. No wonder everyone cock blocks you and you don't get good service. Screw off man.
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Yellow Taxi is a great bar. The atmosphere is really cool, pool table, darts, live bands every weekend. And the owner, Charles, is super friendly and cool.
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK421 wrote:
OP, totally unnecessary to make fun of someone's physical appearance, or what you assume to be their physical appearance, for an entire post just because they disagree with what you said about the bars and the people in them. You sound like an extremely immature @$$hole and if you talk to people like that in real life you'd get your ass kicked on a daily basis. If I heard you say something like that to one of my girl friends I'd break your nose before you finished your sentence. No wonder everyone cock blocks you and you don't get good service. Screw off man.

Laughing
dudetaejeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinju necklace wrote:
I agree Yellow Taxi is a great bar. The atmosphere is really cool, pool table, darts, live bands every weekend. And the owner, Charles, is super friendly and cool.

yes it is cool.
i just wish if the food could get to me ...
Guajiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudetaejeon wrote:
watermelonsugar is a gay bar, notice the mushroom headed phallic hanging in the corner.

Even if it is (which I'm not sure about), it's a good place to meet girls. My buddy met his girlfriend there and they've been together since early 2009. What I didn't like was that when I was dancing with some girls this Korean dude pulled me aside and said "We don't like your kind here." Maybe because I was straight! But I assumed he just didn't like waygooks for getting all the girls.

As for Santa Clause, I haven't been there recently but I recall that it was a great place to hang out with friends. It had great music selection and you could add to the playlist. There were also pool tables, darts and video games. I'd say it's a good place if you like sit down bars. Plus, the food was good and the staff friendly.
dharma bum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daejeon sounds like an awful place from these posts. Any truth to that?
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's been a LONG time since I've been in daejeon. Only 2 bars mentioned which I've been to are watermelon sugar and santa claus. Didn't go to the latter often because it was WAAAAY on the other side of the city. For me, it was ok...nothing SO special. In '98, watermelon sugar WAS something special in daejeon. Yes, the bartender was gay. Flamboyantly so on some nights. Yes, the T.O. gaypride parade poster was hung with pride in one corner. And, yes, the glowing r0d was in another with a pool of beer below. But, it was just considered a good bar to hit on weekends; not a gay bar. If the place, and santa claus are, STILL, open, I give credit where credit is due. Things watermelon sugar had going for it were interesting clientele, ok beer n prices, and music...owner took requests n he'd play ANYthing. Those things made the place a bit better than just ok, in my mind. Having said that, my friend n I DID have an altercation one night there. Those stairs outside the bathroom are STEEP. Be careful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: