Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Taxes for expats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you return after being away for seven years?

I don't need to file tax returns now because I haven't paid taxes. When I return to Canada and have an income in Canada I will pay tax and need to file.

They can't change their mind about seven years in the past and say that since I came back I never really intended to not be a resident and should therefore pay back tax can they?

It is scary because the amount of money for seven years of taxes is significant.
chachee99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're telling me that the Canadian Government actually expects me to file my taxes and them how much I made while teaching English overseas at a lower tax rate so they can adjust it can send me a bill stating how much tax owed them if I made the same amount in Canada? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one. Does the government think we are that stupid to just throw money in the toilet? Oh yeah regarding the citizenship. I was born in Canada; therefore I am a Canadian citizen for life!!! No government official not even the Prime Minister can ever take that away, unless he burns the constitution.

To put in short, if the Canadian government thinks for one brief second I will be giving them a portion of my gross income made overseas they have another thing coming. If they even try and force me to do so I will return back home and go on welfare. I have the right to do so being I will always be a Canadian citizen.

Remember the Canadian government says every citizen has the right basic necessities of life, that being food, water, and shelter. End of story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
redd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a long time since the last post, but....

I did the work-holiday visa thing in Australia a couple of years ago and had the same questions regarding filing when i got back. Basically what it came down to was that having a work visa in Australia made me a "deemed resident" of Australia and since i paid taxes while in Oz, I wasn't required to file again at home. They told me at the time that i could file because I might get more money back but i didn't really want to take my chances on having to pay them since i got a return in Oz that i was pretty happy with. At the time, I only had the usual secondary ties of a student loan, bank accounts, and license (i'd cancelled my OHIP before leaving).
When I filed for the year that i was away, i just put "0" in the "how much money did you make in Canada XX year" box. Never had any problems and that was something like 5yrs ago. I'm a little sketchy on my income anyway since i tend to take off every few years to travel and have had some pretty crappy-paying jobs. I've also lived in 3 different provinces in that time, but somehow i think if the government wanted to track me down for payments, they'd look me up.

I figure that working in Korea on an E2 visa has got to be similar to the work-holiday visa i had. Assuming i file for my Korean income in Korea.

I'm no expert, that's just my experience.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sever your significant ties with Canada, that should be enough. I have that covered plus I have established significant ties with Korea. I will never file any canadian taxes as long as I live in Korea.
canadian_in_korea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called revenue canada a few days ago....it seems that I do have to file my income tax from Korea...if I supply a form showing how much I paid here in tax they will deduct it from the canadian taxes I owe. BUT...My husband and I just got married the beginning of December....and I have to claim his income...it doesn't matter that he isn't a canadian citizen....he doesn't have permanent residence yet....I STILL have to claim his korean income....(sigh)...the canadian government sucks... Razz
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadian_in_korea wrote:
I called revenue canada a few days ago....it seems that I do have to file my income tax from Korea...if I supply a form showing how much I paid here in tax they will deduct it from the canadian taxes I owe. BUT...My husband and I just got married the beginning of December....and I have to claim his income...it doesn't matter that he isn't a canadian citizen....he doesn't have permanent residence yet....I STILL have to claim his korean income....(sigh)...the canadian government sucks... Razz

That's where the non-residence status comes in...
They can blow goats if you are here than more than 2 years and don't have any major ties to Canada. Worst part is if you call back and get a different person you will likely get a different answer...

SO FRUSTRATING...(I owe taxes for the last 2 years living in Canada at the highest tax rate + penalties + interest so Revenue Canada isn't on the top of my Christmas list these days)
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:
They can blow goats if you are here than more than 2 years and don't have any major ties to Canada.

As mentioned on the first page of this thread, the "two year rule" was formally cancelled in 2001, though apparently uninformed accountants in Canada still give incorrect advice when solicited by teachers.

Non-resident decisions are made entirely on your primary/secondary ties.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
turtlepi1 wrote:
They can blow goats if you are here than more than 2 years and don't have any major ties to Canada.

As mentioned on the first page of this thread, the "two year rule" was formally cancelled in 2001, though apparently uninformed accountants in Canada still give incorrect advice when solicited by teachers.

Non-resident decisions are made entirely on your primary/secondary ties.

I've been here well before 2001, so I doubt they'd give me back my residency status unless I returned to Canada. I haven't bothered filling out the forms because the guy at the taxation office told me not to worry because I only had minor links to Canada (the way he explained it, I was safe because what they are looking for is property or investments which can potentially generate revenue) and I had no revenue in Canada. I told him I hadn't been in Korea for two years yet at that time. Not that I'm worried, but the only thing that could cause problems would be the mutual fund that I got in 1999, but it's only worth a thousand bucks or so.
sprite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first hand experience:
after my fourth year away, i filed for non-res, filling out info (not tax) forms for each of the previous 4 yrs..
after a year of no news, i called. imagine my surprise to learn that i was a deemed res of canada! (they had sent the info to the address of my first job on leaving canada, despite me sending them paperwork to show i was no longer there, and despite a signed letter offering them three addresses they could use to contact me. frick.)

they had counted my korean ties against my canadian ties, which included bank account, credit card, driver's, renewed drivers, passport, renewed passport, CHURCH MEMBERSHIP. (which, unbeknownst to me, i had lost 6 months after leaving anyway.)

the nice man at international tax (honest, they aren't ugly, you don't have to id yourself) told me to contest it, and ask to have my license and passport renewals dropped as 'ties.'

i never did, and actually did file taxes for that year, in quebec. the only downside was not getting a gst cheque, because i didn't provide income proof for the first months of the year while outside.
but so far, no nasty letters two years on.

now--here's a thought. every year, you are allowed to contribute a certain amount to an RRSP, which lowers your taxable income. if you don't contribute the full amount one year, you can carry it forward 7 years.
if you don't file taxes (even as a non-resident) you don't have access to this. so if you do plan to go back to canada, it might be nice to have this amount open to you, on the off chance you make a crap load of money on your return. double check with the tax wo/man. seriously. they have to help you, and you don't have to give your name.
DirtySanchez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That time of yeara,
tax time is hera,
mucho lira disapeara

No deductions,
don't get discourgy,
I found out you can write off 976-ORGY

(operaman)

I went to the revenue canada site, read a lot of info. none too helpful. anyone know what I should do?
I've been in korea for a year and a couple months, declared non-residency when I initially left canada. what should I file for (if at all)?
If I file, will I really have to pay the remaining canadian tax percentage when I return to canada?
canadian_in_korea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you have approved non-residency ...then you don't have to file canadian taxes.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadian_in_korea wrote:
I think if you have approved non-residency ...then you don't have to file canadian taxes.

If you owe them money because of investments or royalties earned in Canada - or income tax owed for a part of a fiscal year before you left, then you need to file. But most people who go to Korea probably aren't in that situation.

Also, it is not necessary to receive any sort of "approval" to hold non-residency status. There's a form you can fill out to get their "opinion" on your status, but it's neither legally binding nor a prerequisite. You may not have intended to give that impression, but it's the most common tax-related misconception on this board and it's worth debunking at every opportunity.
brento1138

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: A friend of my mom's barber's dad's friend's auntie told me. Reply with quote

You know, I have looked into this, and looked into this... and there's absolutely no truly reliable source of info I've found. The best I can get is "my friend told me this" or "this accountant I know said this" or what not. Can't there be an actual source, reliable, lawful, etc, that cannot be argued???

The Canadian government hasn't made it too easy-looking on their website, and how can you trust them with your money anyhow. They'll just answer in the way that serves em best. Arg. Rolling Eyes

But the one thing I keep hearing is : don't worry about it, nothing will happen. So, as of now, I'm joining this crowd. Cool
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: A friend of my mom's barber's dad's friend's auntie told Reply with quote

brento1138 wrote:
Can't there be an actual source, reliable, lawful, etc, that cannot be argued???

Yes. See a copy of the relevant tax document, linked on the first page of this thread.

It is a common-language document based on Section 2 and 250 (also sections 114, 115, 128.1 and 212) of the Income Tax Act and Section 2607 of the Income Tax Regulations, which are the actual statutes. Anything else you hear, including the words of an accountant or me or the nice CCRA lady who answers your phone, is opinion, however informed.

Summary
The purpose of this bulletin is to explain the position of the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (the "CCRA") concerning the determination of an individual's residence status for income tax purposes and the factors to be taken into account in making that determination.
Bulletin 221R3, CCRA
Plutocracy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the provincial health card is considered a secondary tie. Its it important to actively cancel the health care or is simply not accessing it for the duration of non-residency sufficient to eliminate it as a secondary tie?

And for the drivers license, is it okay to simply let it expire, or must you actively cancel it?

Thnx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: