Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Taxes for expats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plutocracy wrote:
So the provincial health card is considered a secondary tie. Its it important to actively cancel the health care or is simply not accessing it for the duration of non-residency sufficient to eliminate it as a secondary tie?

I let mine expire, though cancelling it wouldn't hurt. I get travel insurance from abroad before I visit Canada.

Quote:
And for the drivers license, is it okay to simply let it expire, or must you actively cancel it?

Thnx.

I do neither of these. I'm in a country where that license from my "home country" is a necessity to holding a local one. It's only a secondary tie, and the CCRA hints strongly in that document that they're far less bothered by secondary ties than primary ones.

There are lots of practical reasons to be a resident of another country and still hold a limited number of Canadian secondary ties.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
I get travel insurance from abroad before I visit Canada.

I'd really appreciate more information about this. Every stab I've made at it came up empty.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
The Lemon wrote:
I get travel insurance from abroad before I visit Canada.

I'd really appreciate more information about this. Every stab I've made at it came up empty.

Done it successfully in Korea on several occasions: Once from Samsung Insurance in Kwangju, and quite a few times from the KEB branch in the Incheon airport (basement level, the desk in the branch next to the free internet computers). I believe there are other travel insurance places in the airport - we used the KEB one just out of habit. Prices are reasonable, and depend on how long you'll be away, where you're going, and how much coverage you want.
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done as you did, Lemon, several times in the past. Same KEB at the airport.

But last time I tried (7 months ago) I got a different story. They told me flat out it was impossible to get short-term coverage for my home country. I asked what about before? & they just shrugged. My research now suggests they're right & that my previous "insurance" wouldnt have been valid. An inexperienced clerk should never have taken my money. Luckily I never needed to try & use it.

I've searched tons of sites since for this kind of coverage -- the largest international travel insurers, Canadian companies, Korean companies -- & none that I can find has any product whatsoever for an expat returning to his home country for a visit.

Please prove me wrong.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't prove you wrong. That said, there was nothing in the english coverage booklets they provided from 2001 to July 2004 that said I wouldn't be covered in my "home country" - I checked. There was a clause about not coughing up if I was insured another way (say, through a government insurance), but my provincial insurance had already run out so I was no longer insured.

Finally, just because you're a citizen of a country doesn't make it your "home country" anymore, unless they're choosing to define it that way. My daughter is a citizen of South Korea and Canada but no one in their right minds would say that either are her "home country", as she's spent most of her life as a permanent resident elsewhere. Are you making them aware that you're a permanent resident of South Korea and not Canada?

Give KB Bank a try. The Kwangju manager tried to sell us travel insurance last year, but we chose to stay with the better rates at KEB.

If the Koreans aren't being helpful, you can always resort to the online travel insurance services. Google will provide you with plenty, and some look fly-by-night. Here's one at random: http://www.quotetravelinsurance.com

I punched into it data for a 35 year old, resident of Korea, visiting Canada, and it told me the weekly cost would be about $16. I didn't research further to see what that specifically covered.
zee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: the whole non-resident thing Reply with quote

I remember while I was there, I could never get a good answer for exactly my situation. I have finally done all the paperwork headaches and here it is:

I was in Korea, exactly one year. (Technically 1 day short, due to the whole time zone thing). I had no primary ties in Canada (ie property or family) but I did have : a passport, a bank account, a driver's license, a credit card and I had never cancelled BC Care Card.

They make you fill out a "Determination of Residency" form, and then in all reality, it's up to you to convince the one person who is reading that form that you were a non-resident.

I explained I needed my bank account for paying off my student loan, and I didn't know I had to cancel my health care card until it was too late (which has been a whole other headache - CANCEL YOUR CARECARD).

There are questions about your intentions for the future etc, and whether you intended on coming back. I was just honest and said that when I left Canada, I had no idea if I would come back - but while in Korea, I realized that teaching english was not my true calling and I still don't know what my future plans are!

The last part is you have to show your ties to Korea vs Canada.
I kept the Canada part to just what I mentioned above. I emphasized all my activities and memberships in Korea: I belonged to two Gyms/ Health clubs, I had two Korean Bank accounts (I had a CHB account through my employer, but I got a KB account because it was closer to home and easier to send money home), I had Korean Medical coverage, I was part of a craft club and we sold things at the art market, etc.
In other words, the more involved you are in Korea (at least on paper) the more you are considered a resident of Korea.

Oh, and there was that, which was important, If you are considered a resident of Korea (which you are are if you are paying taxes and living there with a working visa) then you are less likely to be considered a resident of Canada.

So - Yes, I have been declared a non-resident of Canada for the year I was in Korea, and so I don't have to declare ANY of my income to the Candian tax people. I don't even have to file a return for 2004. BUT - technically, I should fill out a Korean Income Tax form for that year.

I hope this helps people who are in my situation.
It's way easier if you stay longer than a year, so to those people I would assure them that you are most likely fine, unless you have primary ties. For those just staying for the year - get yourself as many affiliations in Korea while you are there.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post - one that will be helpful for a lot of people in the 1-year-hogwon-tour-of-duty boat. A small point:

1. "They make you fill out a 'Determination of Residency' form". No, you're requesting their opinion, and you're under no obligation to do so. You didn't have to contact them or fill in a form if you knew where you stood. That said, because your case wasn't so clear cut, you got the comfort of a positive determination from them.

This may seem like a petty quibble, but too many people still believe that non-residency status is something you "declare" by "filling out a form". You don't declare it - you just are. And no form is necessary, though in your case it's helpful to get their reassurance that they agree "you just are" based on your situation.
brento1138

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope 2 years down the road the Canadian Tax people don't one day come up to me and say "You owe us 20,000. Pay up!"
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the link hasn't been dropped in this thread yet. A very definitive article on all of this was written by Lemon here:
http://wiki.galbijim.com/Tax_issues_for_Canadian_expats
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll raise this from the dead.

So, if I consider myself a non-resident then I just don't fill out a tax return in Canada. If I return to Canada in the future then I start submitting the returns again. And if Revenue Canada asks me why I didn't file for x number of years I tell them I was a non-resident and may at that time have to provide proof (ie no health card, bank account, etc.)

So very complicated.
brento1138

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
have to provide proof (ie no health card, bank account, etc.)

So very complicated.

Those are secondary ties, which I believe, we can have. Primary ties like a house, car (?), family, would make you a resident. You are allowed some secondary ties like bank account and health card...
Mea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm planning on doing two years in Korea (and then returning home for maybe a month or two before I move abroad again...), should I actually CANCEL my Ontario health card or just not renew it when it has to be done (2008, so while I'm still in Korea). I have no primary ties, and my only other secondary ties are bank accounts and credit cards, so I'd guess that it really doens't matter, as long as I don't use it when I'm home to visit...
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CCRA's interested in things that signal intention on your part for your home to not be in Canada in the future. If I was you I'd cancel the Ontario health card thing, though in my case I went the "let it expire" route, and made sure on visits to NS I got myself some travel insurance. Since you're not planning on using it, might as well cancel it deliberately.

Forget the detail that you're planning on being in Korea for 2 years and then visiting Canada for a month or two before the next abroad adventure. The bigger picture is, you're leaving and have no plans to return to Canada permanently. You have no primary ties, no plans to move back... I'd say (and I am not a lawyer or accountant, so take this with a serious grain of salt) that you don't need to really be concerned.

I have the same secondary ties as you - credit cards, bank accounts, provincial drivers license - but I could and would argue that I need to maintain these things in my life abroad and they are in no way residential ties to Canada.
awalk2remember

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Yikes !!! Reply with quote

WOW

How is it possible that we are almost in the year 2007 and this Canadian tax thing is so crazy...

When I lived in Korea for a year, 2002-03 I had phoned the tax people and they told me that as long as you are paying taxes in Korea, you are exempt from paying taxes in Canada.

But now I am back here, I am totally confused !!!

Can someone , preferably that has spoken recently or contacted someone in the Canadian Revenue Agency, tell us Cannucks what the hell to do ???

I have read all the posts here, but there are so many things we need to or don't need to do I am totally confused !!!

Here are the questions to be answered:

1. do we need to file ? (if we are living here for exactly one year?)
2. do we need to cancel our health care card (especially for those of us coming from B.C.?)
3. are we residents or non-residents of Canada?
4. will we self implode if we try to figure this all out ???

PLEASE HELP ME !!!

(If I find more info. myself, then I will promise to post immediately)

Happy New Year Everyone !!! Very Happy
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all of this article again:
http://wiki.galbijim.com/Tax_issues_for_Canadian_expats

It answers most, if not all of your questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: