Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding the E-2 Visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasces1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Question regarding the E-2 Visa Reply with quote

This is what's written as the requirement for obtaining the E-2 visa:

*In principle, a foreign language instructor shall be a native speaker of the teaching language.*

How much of this statement is true? I am Canadian Citizen who was born in Vietnam but came to Canada at very young age. English is the only language that I speak. According to this statement, does this mean I am out of luck? The guy from the Korean Consulate told me to give it a shot, but he say it's up to Immigration.

Richard
thinker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think all you need is a job offer from someone, and a BA. I know of korean canadians teaching, it shouldn't be any different for you> > > Razz

here's some stuff off their web site:

http://www.emb-korea.ottawa.on.ca/html/html1/e_menu.htm

For Canadian Citizens Only
For citizens of countries other than Canada
Required Documents for Visa
Re-entry Permit
Status of Sojourn
Alien Registration

For Canadian Citizens only:

Canadian citizens are exempt from obtaining a visa for tourism, visiting or business(without any employment activities) for a stay of 90 days or less. The permission to stay for 90 days or less will be given at the time of your entry. Those who wish to stay longer can get an extension for an additional 90 days, for a total of 6 months.

Long-term Employment Visa
The required documents for long-term employment (more than 90 days) visas vary depending on the status of sojourn (types of activities in Korea). Please contact the consular office of the
Embassy for detailed information

Visa for teaching foreign languages in Korea
The required documents to obtain a visa for teaching foreign languages
in Korea for more than 90 days are :
Two completed visa application forms
Original copy of contract beween employee and Korean employer
Original copy of employer's sponsorship form
Original copy of the employer's letter of invitation
Original copy of certificate of company registration
One set of original transcripts from university
Two copies of employee's resume
Two copies of the certificate, degree : one notarized copy and one photocopy of the same
Two copies of information page of passport
Two recent passport-type colour photos
Passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months
Cdn $75.00 visa fee

* Visas for teaching foreign languages usually take three to four weeks
from the date of application. However, approval can take less or more
time in some cases. Therefore, travel arrangements should not be made until the date of visa issuance from the Embassy has been confirmed.
Please also note that if you enter Korea before your visa is approved,
then your application for a visa will be considered nullified.

* In most cases , visas are valid for 90 days, single entry, and for a
stay of 90 days. Multiple visas are valid for one year and stays of 90 days ; these visas are only to be issued to Canadian citizens with a business
visa.

Individuals with the Cerificate for Confirmation of Visa Issuance
(Blue Form) Sponsors of visa applicants may submit relevant visa documents to the Ministry of Justice in Korea on behalf of their
prospective employees to simplify and reduce the duration of the visa issuance process. After the submitted documents have been reviewed
and approved by the Ministry, the Certificate for Confirmation of Visa Issuance is issued to the applicant.
Once the applicant obtains this Certificate, the applicant may bring the following documents to the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate to
get the visa issued:

Completed visa application form
Original copy of the Certificate for Confirmation of Visa Issuance
Passport with remaining validity of at least 6 months
One recent passport-type colour photo.
Cdn $75.00 visa fee

Re-entry Permit

With the exception of the multiple-visas, all visas including long-term visas are for a single visit which are valid for the period of three months from the date of issuance. (i.e. visa holder must enter Korea within 3 months from the date of issue and the visa is good only for a single entry). Therefore anyone who wishes to leave the country and re-enter later on during the allowed period of stay should obtain the Re-entry Permit from the Ministry of Justice prior to departure.

Status of Sojourn

Status of Sojourn is a system which classifies the status of foreign visitors entering Korea according to the range of activites permitted by the Ministry of Justice in Korea.

Anyone who needs to change their status of sojourn or plans to engage in activites other than the permitted ones must get permission from the Ministry.

The Status of Sojourn is indicated at the bottom of the visa as C-4, E-2 (there are 30 different kinds) etc.

Alien Registration

Individuals with a long-term visa (for periods longer than 90 days) are required to apply for alien registration at a local immigration office within 90 days of arrival.

For more inquiries please contact our consular office at (613)244-5028

It normally takes five working days to issue all visas; in cases where it will take longer you will be notified of the delay.
Where to send your visa application : To facilitate processing your application, please forward all necessary documents to the Consular Office in your jurisdiction.

last updated 2003-2-17
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the laws regarding E2 visa issuance please read them carefully.
-------------------------------------
E-2 Status (Teaching Foreign Languages)
A. The Object of Visa Issuance
The E-2 visa is available to individuals who have the qualifications specified by the Minister of justice and desire to instruct foreign languages at foreign language institutions, educational institutions of elementary school and higher levels or their attached language research institutions, or language training institutions attached to public/private companies or broadcasting stations, or other institutions/organizations corresponding to such institutions as described above.
In principle, a foreign language instructor shall be a native speaker of the teaching language.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE INSTITUTIONS OR ORGANIZATIONS:
- Educational institutions of elementary school and higher levels or their annex language research institutions
- Foreign language institutions registered according to the Act on establishment of institute.
- Language training institutions attached to public/private companies or organizations.
B. Application and Required Documents
A foreigner shall make an application for a visa to a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad and required documents are as follows:
Passport
Application form
Required documents
- employment contract
- copy of diploma
- substantiating documents for a foundation of institution or organization
- reference
If necessary, the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad may ask an applicant to submit more documents than required.
As you need to make an application for your visa to a Korean embassy or consulate abroad if you go out to Korea to find a job and obtain employment whilst inside the Republic of Korea you will then have to do what is known as a 'visa run.' In which you fly out of Korea to where there is a foreign Korean embassy or consulate and apply for your visa. The usual destination is Osaka (Japan) but your employer will tell you what to do and where to go, they should also pay for your flight and accommodation to wherever they send you to obtain a visa, if not I would steer clear of that institute.
When the application is approved, the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad shall affix a visa stamp in the passport of the applicant. On a visa stamp, there are the status of sojourn(E-2), period of stay(less than 1 year) and validity of a visa.
amberflannery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: how long for visa issue number? Reply with quote

how long does it take to get a visa issue number once the school has taken your paperwork to the immigration office?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: how long for visa issue number? Reply with quote

amberflannery wrote:
how long does it take to get a visa issue number once the school has taken your paperwork to the immigration office?

If the school was diligent getting to the immigration office and there is no problem with their or your paperwork the process at the immigration office typically takes 4-10 days.
danielcross

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how long for visa issue number? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
amberflannery wrote:

If the school was diligent getting to the immigration office and there is no problem with their or your paperwork the process at the immigration office typically takes 4-10 days.

Can it be any faster?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how long for visa issue number? Reply with quote

danielcross wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
amberflannery wrote:

Can it be any faster?

Do government offices in your country work faster? Are you suggesting bribery to speed the process?

Except at very busy times (like the month before each public school term starts when they are processing thousands at the same time) it usually only takes 4 days...

It usually sits on the recruiters desk longer than that. It certainly takes more time to send the docs back and forth...

Relax dude... A year is a long time... one or two days longer before you get here won't make any difference in the great, grand scheme of things and learning patience will do you a world of good for when you ARE here.

Bali, bali - hurry up and wait.

Can_AmCouple

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Drug Tests Reply with quote

I have read conflicting reports about needing to take a drug test upon arrival in Korea. Can anyone tell me about the process?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Drug Tests Reply with quote

Can_AmCouple wrote:
I have read conflicting reports about needing to take a drug test upon arrival in Korea. Can anyone tell me about the process?

Part of the required in-country medical.

You will be tested for communicable diseases, drug use, HIV/AIDS and STDs. The drug tests do NOT include testing for cannabinoids (Marijuana use).

If any of the above are positive you will be refused your ARC and ordered out of the country.

There may be contractual implications to go along with the removal order as well.

Details are in the press releases ( http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_03/BoardList.do ) and notices on the immigration webpage: http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM80/index.do

bettyspaghetti

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Visa question PLEASE HELP! Cannot get a human on the phone.. Reply with quote

at the Korean Consulate. I've been trying for 2 days at both the LA and SF Consulate. I sent all of my stuff to Korea, and they have sent me my visa issuance number. However, on the Consuls checklist one of the things I am required to send to the Consulate here is a "Certificate for confirmation of visa issuance number". What is this!? I have only an email from my school.

I scoured the Korean Consulate web site and it says : for questions regarding certificate for confirmation of visa issuance number refer here. AND THERE IS NO LINK!

Can anyone help me out?

Twisted Evil
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa question PLEASE HELP! Cannot get a human on the pho Reply with quote

vanyalasagna wrote:
at the Korean Consulate. I've been trying for 2 days at both the LA and SF Consulate. I sent all of my stuff to Korea, and they have sent me my visa issuance number. However, on the Consuls checklist one of the things I am required to send to the Consulate here is a "Certificate for confirmation of visa issuance number". What is this!? I have only an email from my school.

I scoured the Korean Consulate web site and it says : for questions regarding certificate for confirmation of visa issuance number refer here. AND THERE IS NO LINK!

Can anyone help me out?

Twisted Evil

There is no longer a "certificate of visa issuance" (the old blue paper).

Now you just have the number. You put that number on your visa application form (top right corner) and away you go.

bettyspaghetti

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Clo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that as a first time teacher in Korea I'll need to have an interview in my home country for my E2 visa??
But I've also been told that as long as I have my my doc's, I can go to Japan??

Which one is true??? I'm leaving for Korea next week and will do a job hunt when I'm out there and would really rather not have to come home for an interview?? Wink
Clo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can get my visa in Japan, do I need to get my CRB appostiled (sp??) in the UK??
Clo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can get my visa in Japan, do I need to get my CRB appostiled (sp??) in the UK??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: