Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who got an iPhone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatertot wrote:
crescent wrote:
I'm paying the phone in instalments.

3Gs 32gig
data plan = 45,000won x 24months
phone payment = 16,500 x 24months
contract deposit for first time user = 30,000

The contract deposit IS standard practice. I checked it out today.

So it is a 30,000 won deposit? As in, you'll get it back at the end of the contract term?

I have a question about text messages, too. I had an iPhone with ATT in the US, and I could send unlimited characters in text messages. Is it the same here, or are you limited to a certain number of characters with the iPhone like I am with my current phone?

Yes, you get the deposit back when the contract expires.
Since you pay for 'data' in the monthly plans, you will be able to send as many texts as allowed in the data plan.
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ you didnt read his question carefully.

i believe sms messages are limited to 160 characters. some of the korean mobile telco companies limit it to 80 characters though. i know it does that on my phone with skt.

im not sure how the iphone handles long sms messages, but on some phones you can type more than 160 characters and the phone will send your message as 2 (3,4, etc..) separate text messages.
Notorious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will these Korean Iphones work in Europe or can you only use them in SK?
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will only work in SK. Unless you buy a factory unlocked one and then get it certified by the kcc. If you go that route you'll also be able to use your phone with skt.
stuey11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:
If you go tomorrow to get an Iphone through a Korean, it may take around 10 business days to get it. I was told you might get it a few days earlier, or a few days later. However, don't expect to pick one up anytime soon.

I am not going through a Korean friend. I want an Iphone, I want it under my name. I'm going to keep arguing and fighting with KT, Show, or whoever else until I get what I want.

It is absolutely ridiculous we can't even sign up for a damn cell phone. Its a freaking CELL PHONE not a BANK LOAN.

Wish me luck in my fight. If anyone else wants to join me, then please feel free. I'm not a freaking minor anymore. I don't feel I need another adult to get me something that I should be able to get on my own.

I'm with you all the way. I'm in the same boat, want an iphone but under my name!!!
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveohan wrote:
^ you didnt read his question carefully.

i believe sms messages are limited to 160 characters. some of the korean mobile telco companies limit it to 80 characters though. i know it does that on my phone with skt.

im not sure how the iphone handles long sms messages, but on some phones you can type more than 160 characters and the phone will send your message as 2 (3,4, etc..) separate text messages.

Ah, sorry. Dunno.
sendittheemail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the i-phone on Tuesday. If you haven't received one yet, I'd advise you NOT to buy one.

KT service is TERRIBLE. IT SUCKS. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Here's my experience.

1. Phone was delivered much later than promised.

2. Received the phone and it was DEAD ON ARRIVAL. The SIM card they gave me didn't register at all.

3. I followed all instructions including texting them from my other phone with my SERIAL number and SIM card number, and then I called them back, and KT said that they activated my phone, and that it was working on the network.

4. That was two days ago, almost three days. Phone is still 100% DEAD. Doesn't show up on the network, cannot join KT's network, can't call anyone, can't text anyone, can only use WIFI.

5. In order to activate this phone, I had to DE-ACTIVATE my old KT phone, so now BOTH of my expensive KT phones DONT WORK.

6. Calls to KT customer service have solved nothing (YES I speak FLUENT Korean). Their response is "Well, we activated it, so it works". I explain to them that actually it doesn't work, and that it says "AWAITING ACTIVATION" and cannot access any network.

7. KT again responds that, "we activated it on the network", so it works. I ask the KT tech support to try calling my i-phone to test it. They call it. The call fails. They respond with "We dunno what the problem is, we activated it, so it must work". They ask me to restart the phone. I restart it several times with no result. I remove and re-install the sim card, NOTHING.

DEAD phone, NO Service, NO customer service, NOTHING. Four days now, still not working. Leave it to a Korean carrier to take a good product, and COMPLETELY BOTCH every aspect of setting it up. I have an expensive paper weight, actually I have two very expensive paper weights, and the worst part is that I'm actually being charged monthly service for a phone that doesn't even work.

Furthermore, KT's customer service phone lines are so JAMMED with angry customers, that it's almost impossible to reach anyone, and the wait time is 30-45 minutes at most times of the days.
travelnguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveohan wrote:
They will only work in SK. Unless you buy a factory unlocked one and then get it certified by the kcc. If you go that route you'll also be able to use your phone with skt.

I posted this on the other iPhone thread, so sorry for those that are having to read it twice.

Steveohan, read this and tell me your thoughts please.

I have a question, well a few, for those that just got the iPhone 3GS in Korea. My co-teacher will be ordering mine some time this weekend and I just want to know as much as I can before unlocking/jailbreaking it.

What network will the iPhone in Korea be on? I thought the whole problem with Korea was that they use a different network than the US. That was the reason that bringing a phone from the US to Korea or vice verse wouldn't work.

I also thought Korea didn't use real SIM cards. I have a SIM card in my current Motorola with SK. If I unlock the iPhone, will it work on the SK network? Why or why not? Did KT start a new network just for the iPhone?

Is the iPhone here any different than what is sold in the US? I looked at the version number and base band and they seem identical to those that are currently being sold in the US. With the Blackra1n update, you can unlock your AT&T phone in the US and use it on Tmobile. It is tethered, but that will be fixed soon enough I am sure.

Has anyone tried http://www.unlockediphone.info/ or a website similar? They state that their unlock feature works even with the 5.11 base band. I've emailed them to ask if it's tethered or not.

Has anyone had success popping in a SIM card from a non-Korean phone that you might just have sitting around the house? I'm hoping to pick up a couple of cards online and have them shipped here to see if they work or not.

Thanks all.
xpat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sendittheemail wrote:
I got the i-phone on Tuesday. If you haven't received one yet, I'd advise you NOT to buy one.

2. Received the phone and it was DEAD ON ARRIVAL. The SIM card they gave me didn't register at all.

3. I followed all instructions including texting them from my other phone with my SERIAL number and SIM card number, and then I called them back, and KT said that they activated my phone, and that it was working on the network.

4. That was two days ago, almost three days. Phone is still 100% DEAD. Doesn't show up on the network, cannot join KT's network, can't call anyone, can't text anyone, can only use WIFI.

5. In order to activate this phone, I had to DE-ACTIVATE my old KT phone, so now BOTH of my expensive KT phones DONT WORK.

6. Calls to KT customer service have solved nothing (YES I speak FLUENT Korean). Their response is "Well, we activated it, so it works". I explain to them that actually it doesn't work, and that it says "AWAITING ACTIVATION" and cannot access any network.

7. KT again responds that, "we activated it on the network", so it works. I ask the KT tech support to try calling my i-phone to test it. They call it. The call fails. They respond with "We dunno what the problem is, we activated it, so it must work". They ask me to restart the phone. I restart it several times with no result. I remove and re-install the sim card, NOTHING.

DEAD phone, NO Service, NO customer service, NOTHING. Four days now, still not working. Leave it to a Korean carrier to take a good product, and COMPLETELY BOTCH every aspect of setting it up. I have an expensive paper weight, actually I have two very expensive paper weights, and the worst part is that I'm actually being charged monthly service for a phone that doesn't even work.

Furthermore, KT's customer service phone lines are so JAMMED with angry customers, that it's almost impossible to reach anyone, and the wait time is 30-45 minutes at most times of the days.

Here's a thought. Go to your nearest KT shop, or its main offices, and show them that it does not work.
tired of LA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xpat wrote:
sendittheemail wrote:

Here's a thought. Go to your nearest KT shop, or its main offices, and show them that it does not work.

Like the previous poster said, take it into a KT center. There should have been a list of KT centers that will deal with issues that came with your Iphone. I had the same problem. It wouldn't activate even though they said it should. I had my gf take it in and then it was working. Not sure what was wrong, but its a lot easier if you take it in instead of trying to deal with their tech support over the phone.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2+ years with SHOW, I will be moving back to LG Telecom on Monday.

SHOW will put the iPhone in my wifes name, but not mine, unless I buy the phone outright. I have an apartment here, I own a car and I hold a VIP Samsung Card and have always paid my SHOW bills on time except on 1 occassion. I believe, that I have been good enough to take money from for 2+ years, then I am good enough now.

Goodbye SHOW, and I would encourage others to also leave SHOW, and sign your Korean partners to LG Telecom. KT/SHOW, and SK/T don't deserve your business.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
After 2+ years with SHOW, I will be moving back to LG Telecom on Monday.

SHOW will put the iPhone in my wifes name, but not mine, unless I buy the phone outright. I have an apartment here, I own a car and I hold a VIP Samsung Card and have always paid my SHOW bills on time except on 1 occassion. I believe, that I have been good enough to take money from for 2+ years, then I am good enough now.

Goodbye SHOW, and I would encourage others to also leave SHOW, and sign your Korean partners to LG Telecom. KT/SHOW, and SK/T don't deserve your business.

yep... thats how it is big fella.. you will always just be a foreigner!
I know the feeling all to well...
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:

It is absolutely ridiculous we can't even sign up for a damn cell phone. Its a freaking CELL PHONE not a BANK LOAN.

Wish me luck in my fight. If anyone else wants to join me, then please feel free. I'm not a freaking minor anymore. I don't feel I need another adult to get me something that I should be able to get on my own.

Don't bother.

The thing is, it actually IS like a bank loan -- you're not paying for the phone up front, are you? If you're 'paying in installments' that's another way of saying that you're borrowing money.

For those of you outraged, consider this: I work for SK (not telecom) as a full-time employee (ie. not contracted -- I'm the same as all regular Korean employees), I am eligible to recieve some low-interest company loans for things like housing and the employee stock ownership program all summed up it's tens of millions of won. Am I able to get one of these phones in 'hal-be' - installments? No. And I tried! My Korean is also fair and I have some contacts at SKT.. Their regulations just won't allow it.

Messed up, eh?
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
pkang0202 wrote:

Don't bother.

The thing is, it actually IS like a bank loan -- you're not paying for the phone up front, are you? If you're 'paying in installments' that's another way of saying that you're borrowing money.

For those of you outraged, consider this: I work for SK (not telecom) as a full-time employee (ie. not contracted -- I'm the same as all regular Korean employees), I am eligible to recieve some low-interest company loans for things like housing and the employee stock ownership program all summed up it's tens of millions of won. Am I able to get one of these phones in 'hal-be' - installments? No. And I tried! My Korean is also fair and I have some contacts at SKT.. Their regulations just won't allow it.

Messed up, eh?

You win hands down. What a disgrace they are.
bangbayed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried offering a deposit or asking how much of a deposit would be needed? I'm willing to put up a security deposit of a million won.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 3 of 47

Jump to: