Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ship my car to Korea: Pros and Cons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Ship my car to Korea: Pros and Cons Reply with quote

I will be returning to Korea in February. A company in Seattle will ship my car to Korea for $1,100. I will be in Korea for a minimum of 3 years.

Pros:
My own car to drive.
It's not a piece of crap. My last stint in Korea ('03-'09) I drove a 1992 Sonata.

Cons:
Spend $2,200 to ship a car when Korea has a sweet public transpo system.
Koreans can't fix American cars.

What say you? Please add to either list. Thanks.
Triban

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it would be worth it just for ease of transportation, but you also have to go through the hassle of getting insurance and plates, etc and the main concern is finding a good mechanic who can work on your car while not ripping you off since you are foreign.
madoka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of car are you hoping to bring over?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bring over your car and it's not made in korea...you WILL pay import taxes.....unless you have SOFA status. Check with customs and they will tell you how much tax you'll be paying.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are mechanics around Itaewon who can fix your car..

what kind of car you thinking about bringing over?
Wangja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no answers, but I shall be watching this thread as I am thinking of importing a "classic" car.

Import duties?

Registration?

Useage regulations?
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
If you bring over your car and it's not made in korea...you WILL pay import taxes.....unless you have SOFA status. Check with customs and they will tell you how much tax you'll be paying.

That's so dumb. Once you dont resell it here in Korea (and export it out later) then they shouldn't ding you for taxes.
Juregen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ship my car to Korea: Pros and Cons Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:
I will be returning to Korea in February. A company in Seattle will ship my car to Korea for $1,100. I will be in Korea for a minimum of 3 years.

Pros:
My own car to drive.
It's not a piece of crap. My last stint in Korea ('03-'09) I drove a 1992 Sonata.

Cons:
Spend $2,200 to ship a car when Korea has a sweet public transpo system.
Koreans can't fix American cars.

What say you? Please add to either list. Thanks.

Import tax: 30% on market value.
Wangja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xuanzang wrote:
hellofaniceguy wrote:

That's so dumb. Once you dont resell it here in Korea (and export it out later) then they shouldn't ding you for taxes.

Not really dumb, most countries, if not all, apply import duties and/or taxes on vehicle imports.

Most countries have a "temporary import" system using an international log book, usually valid for one year. These are usually issued by the home country's motoring club on the basis that the car will eventually be repatriated and permit the car to run on its home country plates.
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2007 Dodge Magnum. I will look into the import tax. The shipping company also has some information about taxes on their website. The car has been mechanical free. Runs like a champ. My only worry is if some blue truck driver or taxi guy t-bones me. Replacement parts could be problematic. I might just get another waguk (sp?) ride.
themagicbean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say, consider the import duties most of all. I was looking at driving my car across an international border but the 20% fee made it not worth it. Throw 1100 for shipping on top of an import tax and even though your car's nice it might not be worth it.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
Xuanzang wrote:
hellofaniceguy wrote:

Not really dumb, most countries, if not all, apply import duties and/or taxes on vehicle imports.

Most countries have a "temporary import" system using an international log book, usually valid for one year. These are usually issued by the home country's motoring club on the basis that the car will eventually be repatriated and permit the car to run on its home country plates.

Yeah, I was alluding to a temporary importation but then the OP wants to be here for years so I guess that is out.
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got six cars in the U.S., so I would love sending/keeping one to Korea. First, the taxes are crazy high. Check out this thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=1472022&highlight=#1472022

Foreign cars are expensive in Korea. I checked what my newest car costs in Korea. . . 120,000,000 won USED! Shocked

Second, parts and service are going to be a pain. Of my cars, only two have ever even been sold in Korea. I can't imagine how much it would cost to insure a car that's never been sold in the country. In addition, I would not trust just anybody to fiddle with my cars unless they've been trained in that particular model/brand.
kangnamdragun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't Koreans fix American cars?
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragun wrote:
Why can't Koreans fix American cars?

Let me rephrase that. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a mechanic who is not trained properly work on my car. This isn't a case of "seen one engine you've seen them all".

I'm not sure of the exact percentage but I would guestimate that 70% of cars on Korean roads are Korean. If there was a GM dealership in Seoul that would be great. Not sure however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: