Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American rapes Korean woman in JimJJilbang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokricky wrote:
I don't mean to be insensitive to the victim, but when I first saw this story I just had a feeling that something wasn't quite right.

It infuriates me that a foreigner would be so stupid and behave like that, particularily while travelling abroad. If the story is true, and the suspect is guilty, I hope he receives nothing less than the most severe punishment.

Wondering why you think he's a tourist? He could have been teacher on an E-2. That's what I assumed anyways.
mateomiguel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful guys, you're getting really close to the "She was asking for it" defense, which is more a condemnation of yourselves than an actual defense of anything.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateomiguel wrote:
careful guys, you're getting really close to the "She was asking for it" defense, which is more a condemnation of yourselves than an actual defense of anything.

I don't think anyone is using this defense. Rather, we're questioning whether the story as portrayed is accurate. If she genuinely said no before or during intercourse, and he persisted, then it was rape. Given the situation as it's described and the Korean penchant for misportraying the situation to the detriment of foreigners, some of us simply aren't certain it is as it's being described.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying watching this Dave's Kangaroo Court try to sort this out. Its like a giant Rorshach test of prejudice and projection. Although it is a bit degrading to the actual participants of the drama, but when has that ever stopped the all-knowing power of the INTERNET!!!
Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, men: western rules are, you are responsible for your body AND her body, unless she suddenly decides to be responsible for her body, in which case the rules change. Also, the rules can change after the fact, as well as before the fact, and during the fact. Be ever astute on when she decides, in her drunkenness, when the rules change. She can change them but you can't. Also, be able to foretell the future so as to predict when she decides the rules changed the next day, or two weeks later, or two months (or when her boyfriend comes back). Also, remember that your drunkenness is a sign of guilt while her drunkenness is a sign of innocence.

Otherwise it's the "She was asking for it" defense.

See you down at the candlelight vigil Wink

mateomiguel wrote:
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
I'm enjoying watching this Dave's Kangaroo Court try to sort this out. Its like a giant Rorshach test of prejudice and projection. Although it is a bit degrading to the actual participants of the drama, but when has that ever stopped the all-knowing power of the INTERNET!!!

Indeed, speculation over whether a given Korean news story is being portrayed accurately or twisted into anti-foreigner propaganda is a ridiculous thing for foreigners in Korea to engage in. We should simply take what is presented in the Korean news at face value, because discussions on the internet are inherently worthy of ridicule.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Kuros wrote:

Indeed, speculation over whether a given Korean news story is being portrayed accurately or twisted into anti-foreigner propaganda is a ridiculous thing for foreigners in Korea to engage in. We should simply take what is presented in the Korean news at face value, because discussions on the internet are inherently worthy of ridicule.

This is a crime (or not) that directly involves a few people, and hopefully you are not one of those people. I might actually agree with what you say, if there were any significant hope that speculating on the case might shed some light on the matter. As it is, there isn't any such real hope.
Reggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
It reminds me of the national uproar years back when Korean newspapers reported that a US serviceman had sexually assaulted a Korean woman before attacking a Korean man in a subway carriage. The American guy concerned was summarily given a jail sentence.

What K-media never reported was the actual facts of the case: the American guy had simply touched his Korean wife standing beside him. This caused a group of angry korean men to punch and slap the wife for being a traitor to Korea. When the american husband retaliated to protect his wife, he was thrown in prison.

Never, never, never take a report from the Korean media at face value. Especially when it concerns a foreigner.

Good point.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till AES twists this one around a bit. Confused
Panda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, this woman already even agreed to go to a Jimjilbang with him, she obviously didn't dislike him in the first place.

This guy should be thrown into jail for his stinginess(stupidness) of being unwilling to pay for a motel. Even a *beep* wouldn't agree to have sex in a Jimjilbang... Rolling Eyes
Reggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly he's a total cheapskate. He went to great lengths to pay less on his dental work. For the price of a motel room, he could've gotten a really good-looking incall prostitute on the A or B rows of the red light district. But Cheap Charlie decided 20,000 won was the most he was going to pay, so that left him the choice of choosing between the Z row grannies in the RLD or finding a girl in the general public who wanted to go to a jimjilbang with him. Rolling Eyes
Old Gil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This report indicates a woman was raped. While it's true that: 1. women make up claims of rape on occasion in a fit of post coital guilt and 2. the Korean media sucks incredibly [Mod Edit], we should wait to hear more details before going off on flights of fancy. If it is indeed the case that a woman was raped, snide remarks are incredibly inappropriate.
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
This report indicates a woman was raped. While it's true that: 1. women make up claims of rape on occasion in a fit of post coital guilt and 2. the Korean media sucks incredibly hard, we should wait to hear more details before going off on flights of fancy. If it is indeed the case that a woman was raped, snide remarks are incredibly inappropriate.

I'm not going to endorse all the snide remarks here, either, since it is a serious subject and I don't know what happened. However, there are three main reasons that women make false claims of this sort and all men should know and be aware of them, because they happen ALL THE TIME.

They are:

1. To get attention
2. To get revenge
3. To get some sort of perceived social benefit

To these three should be added a fourth: to deflect blame, or guilt, or responsibility for something that happened which they were compliant with, but later decided they felt uncomfortable about. Alcohol is often involved.

Last edited by Trevor on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the hangul for the gender integrated jimjilbangs?
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That would be your place... or hers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: