Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now people are calling machines racist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ytuque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Now people are calling machines racist Reply with quote

Are Face-Detection Cameras Racist?
By Adam Rose

When Joz Wang and her brother bought their mom a Nikon Coolpix S630 digital camera for Mother's Day last year, they discovered what seemed to be a malfunction. Every time they took a portrait of each other smiling, a message flashed across the screen asking, "Did someone blink?" No one had. "I thought the camera was broken!" Wang, 33, recalls. But when her brother posed with his eyes open so wide that he looked "bug-eyed," the messages stopped.

Wang, a Taiwanese-American strategy consultant who goes by the Web handle "jozjozjoz," thought it was funny that the camera had difficulties figuring out when her family had their eyes open. So she posted a photo of the blink warning on her blog under the title, "Racist Camera! No, I did not blink... I'm just Asian!" The post was picked up by Gizmodo and Boing Boing, and prompted at least one commenter to note, "You would think that Nikon, being a Japanese company, would have designed this with Asian eyes in mind." (See the top 10 gadgets of 2009.)

Nikon isn't the only big brand whose consumer cameras have displayed an occasional � though clearly unintentional � bias toward Caucasian faces. Face detection, one of the latest "intelligent" technologies to trickle down to consumer cameras, is supposed to make photography more convenient. Some cameras with face detection are designed to warn you when someone blinks; others are programmed to automatically take a picture when somebody smiles � a feature that, theoretically, makes the whole problem of timing your shot to catch the brief glimpse of a grin obsolete. Face detection has also found its way into computer webcams, where it can track a person's face during a video conference or enable face-recognition software to prevent unauthorized access.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1954643,00.html
Panda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn...

Some journalists are just so bored and have nothing to write about that they have to make every issue big...
ytuque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda wrote:
Yawn...

Some journalists are just so bored and have nothing to write about that they have to make every issue big...

Nearly 2 million hits on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DT3tQqgRM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: