Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bones of 10th century English Saxon Princess found

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Bones of 10th century English Saxon Princess found Reply with quote

LONDON (Jan. 20) -- She was a beautiful English princess who married one of Europe's most powerful monarchs and dazzled subjects with her charity and charm.

Now an international team of scientists say they think they've found the body of Princess Eadgyth (pronounced Edith), a 10th-century noblewoman who has been compared to Princess Diana.

Keynes groaned when asked whether Eadgyth could be compared to Diana, whose marriage to Prince Charles in 1981 captured the world's imagination.

But then he read from the chronicle of Hroswitha of Gandersheim, a contemporary of the princess, who said Eadgyth was "resplendent with a wondrous charm of queenly bearing."

Then followed a particularly florid passage in which German nun writes: "Public opinion by unanimous decision rated her the best of all women who existed at that time."

"Now I remind myself of that, what can I say?" he said. "She certainly fulfilled for them the function that the Princess of Wales fulfilled for many Britons."

Eadgyth bore Otto at least two children, but like Diana, died young, both at age 36.

Test results are on the bones are expected back within six months or so.o children, but like Diana, died young, both at age 36.

Test results are on the bones are expected back within six months or so.

RESTINPEACEPRINCESS
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting story. The early English, both pre-Christian and Christian, didn't seem to have a lot of reverence for dead bodies and often burned or interned them on simple above-ground hills.

Her name would have been more like Eed-hyith, with the 'hy' sounding a little gutteral, like 'yecch.'
djsmnc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:
Really interesting story. The early English, both pre-Christian and Christian, didn't seem to have a lot of reverence for dead bodies and often burned or interned them on simple above-ground hills.

Her name would have been more like Eed-hyith, with the 'hy' sounding a little gutteral, like 'yecch.'

How do you know? Were you there?
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:

Are you sure about the pronunciation?
ED209

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bones of 10th century English Saxon Princess found Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

Eadgyth bore Otto at least two children, but like Diana, died young, both at age 36.

Those Bayeux Tapestry makers never left her alone. I blame them for here death.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you know? Were you there?

Despite my dashing, youthful looks, I'm pretty old. William the Conqueror, or Bill as we called him in dorm, was a good guy. Harold was okay but couldn't hold his beer and there were rumors he didn't like girls. Those tapestry people?... well... anything goes, I tell you.

My MA was in Old English. An Anglo-Saxon 'h' and 'g' was a little gutteral but the yech sound faded away over the centuries. lady was spelled hladige and a loaf hlaf. There were no silent letters. We don't know for sure, of course, but we can look at the meter of poetry or how words changed into other words in English or German and guestimate how the pronunciation was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: