Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get your F-2-S Points Visa - Last updated March 11th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your score at first reading this thread?
<= 10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
11~25
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
26~40
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
41~55
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
56~70
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
71~79
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
>= 80
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
>= 100
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
>= 120
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
>= 140 (Liar)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toonchoon wrote:
volunteering is not illegal for those on an E-2. i hate when i read something that look "legit" only to realize that the person is wrong about something, and probably wrong about the rest of the crap they posted too.

unless you're 100% sure, don't post bullshi+.

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

It IS illegal UNLESS you have obtained and gotten permission from immigration IN ADVANCE for an activity OUTSIDE your status of sojourn.

60k won and a bit of paperwork - primarily to ensure that it is legit volunteerism with and for a legitimate organization and not just a way of hiding "private teaching" or other "illegal" activities.

toonchoon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossmr wrote:
Quote:
volunteering is not illegal for those on an E-2

Not it isn't, but if your volunteering involves language instruction at all (like say teaching poor kids) you want to be absolutely sure you've got paper work to indicate as such. Otherwise they're not really going to buy it.

yes, because poor kids have the money to pay for such lessons.

any language lessons to poor kids should be conducted in places where such kids gather, such as community centers, orphanages and such. sure the immi will not believe somebody for teaching poor kids at their house.

by the way are you speaking from personal experience or do you know somebody that has run into trouble because of this?
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
toonchoon wrote:
volunteering is not illegal for those on an E-2. i hate when i read something that look "legit" only to realize that the person is wrong about something, and probably wrong about the rest of the crap they posted too.

unless you're 100% sure, don't post bullshi+.

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

It IS illegal UNLESS you have obtained and gotten permission from immigration IN ADVANCE for an activity OUTSIDE your status of sojourn.

60k won and a bit of paperwork - primarily to ensure that it is legit volunteerism with and for a legitimate organization and not just a way of hiding "private teaching" or other "illegal" activities.

Immigration have said volunteering isn't illegal, per se. You do need to declare it and sign the form if you intend doing it long term though for sure.

http://www.koreaherald.com/lifestyle/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100122000050
crossmr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toonchoon wrote:

yes, because poor kids have the money to pay for such lessons.

any language lessons to poor kids should be conducted in places where such kids gather, such as community centers, orphanages and such. sure the immi will not believe somebody for teaching poor kids at their house.

by the way are you speaking from personal experience or do you know somebody that has run into trouble because of this?

I seem to recall a story last year where someone got in trouble for this.
It doesn't matter if poor kids have the money to pay for it or not, they might not believe that the kids are as poor as you make them out or that you're not getting money under the table somewhere. The onus would be on you.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morrisonhotel wrote:

Immigration have said volunteering isn't illegal, per se. You do need to declare it and sign the form if you intend doing it long term though for sure.

So that would be the
ttompatz wrote:
UNLESS you have obtained and gotten permission from immigration IN ADVANCE for an activity OUTSIDE your status of sojourn.

and from the article you referenced:

According to the Immigration Control Law & Relevant Rules, Chapter 4, Article 20, "When a foreigner staying in Korea intends to engage in activities corresponding to a different status of stay in addition to those activities corresponding to his/her original status of stay, s/he shall obtain permission for activities beyond the current status of stay from the Minister of Justice in advance."

morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
morrisonhotel wrote:

So that would be the
ttompatz wrote:
UNLESS you have obtained and gotten permission from immigration IN ADVANCE for an activity OUTSIDE your status of sojourn.

and from the article you referenced:

According to the Immigration Control Law & Relevant Rules, Chapter 4, Article 20, "When a foreigner staying in Korea intends to engage in activities corresponding to a different status of stay in addition to those activities corresponding to his/her original status of stay, s/he shall obtain permission for activities beyond the current status of stay from the Minister of Justice in advance."

Quite. There was, however, an article a while back (in the last few months) where immigration stated that volunteering is not illegal at all. I'll see if I can dig it up.
shannon.sgc

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the f-2-7 visa (renamed from f-2-s visa)

http://www.seoulcityblog.com/2010/05/17/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-new-f-2-7-visa/ Thanks so much for your help~

It will be in the Korea Herald tomorrow as well.

Thanks to miljeong for your help!
languistic

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shannon.sgc wrote:

http://www.seoulcityblog.com/2010/05/17/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-new-f-2-7-visa/ Thanks so much for your help~

It will be in the Korea Herald tomorrow as well.

Hope you proofread that one first. Remember, the visa is for skilled workers.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder... If someone is able to obtain a F-2-7 visa, is this evidence of being talented enough to be considered for dual citizenship?
anynag

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toadkillerdog wrote:
Excellent! I got around a 65 on the chart and I have my F-5.
I estimate my score between 65 and 70, and I have an F-5 as well.

Most applicants would have to be between 30 and 34 years old, have at least a master's and be quite proficient in Korean to even come close to 80 points. This points system doesn't seem to favor the average English teaching crowd.
crossmr

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anynag wrote:
toadkillerdog wrote:

Most applicants would have to be between 30 and 34 years old, have at least a master's and be quite proficient in Korean to even come close to 80 points. This points system doesn't seem to favor the average English teaching crowd.

I would envision this scenario for your average english teacher who for some reason wants to stay here, but not get married.
Perhaps they're already married or something, say a couple coming here who has fallen in love with Korea and wants to stay.

They come here around mid 20s as a couple and decide they like it. initially on E2s they work, but while doing so they get a masters, in Korea at a Korean institute. They also work on their Korean. They volunteer a little and take the social integration program.

After 3-4 years, they might be in this position:
Master's 20
In Korea 5
Social Program 10
Volunteer 2 years 5
Income 5
For a total of 55 points
This means they need to make a total of 25 points on age and Korean ability.
if they haven't hit 30, they've got 20 points in age alone. Korean ability is barely a factor

this isn't as crazy a scenario as most people would have you believe.

One of the keys is having a master's and doing it in Korea. Lot's of teachers seem to take a masters in Korea, do it from a korean institute for an extra 5 points. Remember this isn't supposed to be a gimme.

Do a degree in Korea, volunteer, take a weekend course, study a little
Done.

Quote:
Time in the country should be rewarded � perhaps 2 points per year legally residing in Korea. While you don�t want to give someone residency just because they�ve been here for 10 years, time in country does reflect on a person�s willingness or ability to stay here.�

I'd say they're missing the point with this. The visa is to attract skilled people who improve themselves, not people who just want to be lazy and get the benefits of a better visa because they managed to stay in one place a long time. There is no need to reward time in country. You get rewarded for your time here if you do something with it, like study, or volunteer.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anynag wrote:
toadkillerdog wrote:

Exactly. The 2 big reasons to have an F series visa are ease of job transfer and teaching privates without getting deported or fined by immigration.

If someone has been in Korea long enough and with enough education, they probably already have a great job they don't need to worry about leaving, and if teaching privates they probably have a secure system and contacts.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anynag wrote:
toadkillerdog wrote:

I can tell you from personal experience that they have NO INTENTION of allowing foreigners who are NOT married to a Korean to ever get an F2 or F5 visa (and I was told as much straight to my face by the immigration office after trying for several years to obtain said visa).

I would GLADLY eat my words if anyone from here who is NOT married to a Korean EVER obtains an F2 or F5.

crossmr

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

I can tell you from personal experience that they have NO INTENTION of allowing foreigners who are NOT married to a Korean to ever get an F2 or F5 visa (and I was told as much straight to my face by the immigration office after trying for several years to obtain said visa).

I would GLADLY eat my words if anyone from here who is NOT married to a Korean EVER obtains an F2 or F5.

One of the stories linked above states that only two people had applied for the F2 point visa and both had received it.
Do you want ketchup with it?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crossmr wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

One of the stories linked above states that only two people had applied for the F2 point visa and both had received it.
Do you want ketchup with it?

I read the stories and didn't see any reference to any successful applicants who were NOT of Korean heritage

and

I do have personal experience trying to apply and flat-out being told to my face by MORE THAN ONE immigration office in both the Suwon and Mokdong immigration offices that it would never happen in my lifetime.

If anyone has been/is successful I take my hat off to them and would be MORE than a little bit interested in hearing first hand about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: