Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I teach in South Korea? Mental health concerns...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Can I teach in South Korea? Mental health concerns... Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a 25yo Australian who just got back from Seoul (just as a tourist) and I really enjoyed my time there so I would like to go back and teach.

I'll have finished my BA shortly. I also have a TESOL cert (earned in class) and I have teaching experience in China.

Now, about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with GAD (anxiety) I've almost weened myself off the anxiety medication as my psychiatrist feels it's no longer a problem.

I do still take prescription medication for sleeping difficulties and I also recently started taking small doses of ritalin (prescribed of course).

What are my chances of teaching in Seoul? Let me guess....NILL?

I still have 3 months till I graduate... if I can be 'drug-free' (which my doctor feels is an option) at that time and if my doctor deems my mental health to be normal/stable will it improve my chances of being issued a work visa?

If not, any suggestions about where else I can teach? Preferably a country which offers a high standard of living and good salary. Eg: Japan? Germany?

Still, I'd absolutely love to teach in Seoul.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see medicine for anxiety and sleep issues listed.

The sleep issue is a non-issue. Everyone sleeps differently, and as long as you show up for work I don't see a problem. Get your schedule with the school. If they say they don't have it yet, get a current schedule. Too many teachers forget this and it tells a lot about the job.

As for the medicine, you are stating you won't be taking it anymore, because the "psychiatrist feels it's no longer a problem".

Well, is it still a problem or not? Go to a restaurant pretend like you are going to talk to all the patrons there. Simulate being in front of a crowd to get an idea.

I wouldn't take a psychiatrist's word if all you have been doing is sitting in a small room facing them in a chair. It's only 2 of you and you are hardly going to get any feelings of anxiety.

Test yourself. Pretend you lost your cell phone, stand up in front of one of your classes and ask if anyone has seen it. If you can't do that, you'll have to work on it. However, standing up in front of kids or teenagers is a lot less stressful than adults.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont list any of your problems on the health form that you have to fill out. Just know you can't usually get any form of amphetamines (ritalin, adderall) in Korea as it is a banned substance for the most part. As for your GAD, it'll just get worse in Korea, but you're free to come and find it out for yourself.
Good luck.
nick2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:

The sleep issue is a non-issue. Everyone sleeps differently, and as long as you show up for work I don't see a problem. Get your schedule with the school. If they say they don't have it yet, get a current schedule. Too many teachers forget this and it tells a lot about the job.

As for the medicine, you are stating you won't be taking it anymore, because the "psychiatrist feels it's no longer a problem".

Well, is it still a problem or not? Go to a restaurant pretend like you are going to talk to all the patrons there. Simulate being in front of a crowd to get an idea.

I wouldn't take a psychiatrist's word if all you have been doing is sitting in a small room facing them in a chair. It's only 2 of you and you are hardly going to get any feelings of anxiety.

Test yourself. Pretend you lost your cell phone, stand up in front of one of your classes and ask if anyone has seen it. If you can't do that, you'll have to work on it. However, standing up in front of kids or teenagers is a lot less stressful than adults.

Thanks for the reply !

Honestly, I just had a great time in Seoul mainly because of the people I met and friends I made... I went along to many social meetups and I even did some volunteer work teaching kids and teens - it wasn't a problem 95% of the time, but a few times I felt anxious - but no panic attacks, the anxiety was managable.

@ dodge7: if I don't list my health problems on the form doesn't that count as visa fraud? Call me naive but isn't honesty the best policy?

and thx for the heads up about amphetamines being banned. But am I able to bring them into the country if I have a doctor's prescription? I just read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall)

"Non-prescribed Amphetamine-based medications are banned in South Korea. They are illegal to import without a doctor's prescription.[65] Adderall is not currently prescribed inside Korea, but other stimulant medications such as Ritalin are."
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honesty is the best policy and lying is visa fraud

but honesty will also ensure that you don't get a job or if you can manage to find a job you would be denied a visa.

Testing positive for Ritalin when you do the mandatory medical will also get you fired and sent home.

Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick2124 wrote:
YTMND wrote:

Thanks for the reply !

Honestly, I just had a great time in Seoul mainly because of the people I met and friends I made... I went along to many social meetups and I even did some volunteer work teaching kids and teens - it wasn't a problem 95% of the time, but a few times I felt anxious - but no panic attacks, the anxiety was managable.

@ dodge7: if I don't list my health problems on the form doesn't that count as visa fraud? Call me naive but isn't honesty the best policy?

and thx for the heads up about amphetamines being banned. But am I able to bring them into the country if I have a doctor's prescription? I just read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall)

"Non-prescribed Amphetamine-based medications are banned in South Korea. They are illegal to import without a doctor's prescription.[65] Adderall is not currently prescribed inside Korea, but other stimulant medications such as Ritalin are."

Let's just say this: if you list any of your mental health issues on the health form you are not going to work in Korea. Lie , you're in. Tell the truth, you're out. It's like going to the doctor's office and the health form asks you if you smoke pot or do any other illegal drugs. If you do, are you really going to check yes with a side note adding, "yes, I smoke 4-5 bowls a day and do a little coke on the side." Probably not. Same thing.
As for your ritalin, just bring it in your carry on luggage with doctor's note and claim ignorance of the law if you get caught (you won't get caught if you carry it on, though). You should be ok since you have a script. And I don't know anything about getting that stuff in Korea, so you'll have to do a little more research on that.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone was honest on the self declaration form, they would really struggle to fill all available positions, considering that it asks if you have ever done drugs, and the vast majority of teachers have smoked pot at some point.
AsianLatinaGirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recruiter told me recently that all a person would have to do is stop taking their medicine for a month in order to pass the physical exam. She also told me not to list any medical conditions if I had any. Since you are on medication, you may want to bring 6 months (or a year) worth of medication with you along with a doctor's letter.
nick2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsianLatinaGirl wrote:
A recruiter told me recently that all a person would have to do is stop taking their medicine for a month in order to pass the physical exam. She also told me not to list any medical conditions if I had any. Since you are on medication, you may want to bring 6 months (or a year) worth of medication with you along with a doctor's letter.

that's interesting to know. thanks Smile

when is the physical exam? upon arrival in s.korea?

also, do teachers ever get randomly drug tested? if they test me and find I'm taking a prescription medication such as ritalin (which I'm supposed to declare to immigration) for example I'm pretty sure that would earn me a quick ticket home. :/
Keeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it one thing at a time.

Get off your current medication and convince yourself you don't need it. If you do need it then maybe Korea/teaching is not right for you. I believe that many people use drugs as a crutch. There are times you are limping and need the help but you can put it to the side eventually. See if your head is better now, your doctor thinks so but only you know for sure.

Don't mention it on your visa form or they will not accept you. That is guaranteed. If you want to be completely honest then this is not the place for you.

After you are off the meds see if you can get beyond your anxiety. You taught in China was that while medicated? I know people that could not get in front of others and teach because of the stress, it happens. See if you can do it med free while under your doctor's supervision. Do it ASAP.
AsianLatinaGirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nick2124 The medical exam is usually given during your first week (or within 90 days) in South Korea.

I'm not sure but I believe teachers can be randomly tested for drugs.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers will be tested if they believe there is a just cause. A few years ago in Daegu some foreigners where fingered as possible drug users. Many of them where tested for pot.

Generally for most teachers the testing will be when ever a NET is told to get a medical check. The check is usually at the beginning or between contracts. Very unlikely will there be any random testing.

Good Luck.
iggyb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychiatry is still taboo to many Korean adults. Drugs - the same.

For a nation in which up to a few years ago, a pharmasit could sell you virtually anything over the counter without a doctor's prescription, and where they go to the pharmacy to buy all kinds of over the counter stimulants to drink for their health, they are a highly anti-drug culture. Hospitals and doctors are stingy when handing out stronger medication. (How very opposite the United States...)

If you are truthful about your medications and psychiatry visits, you won't get a visa or job.

If you need to continue psychiatric treatment once in Korea, you might want to ask if they'll keep it off your health insurance report and let you pay them directly.

In one of my recent schools, a coworker was being sexually abused and came to rely on me to talk about it - though I kept telling her to end the relationship and see a psychiatrist. Being Korean, she wouldn't for fear of the stigma.

Her issues touched on things from my own childhood. So, I ended up going to an English-speaking psychiatrist -- primarily for something to help me sleep (regular doctors wouldn't give me anything) -- and a low-grade anti-depressant.

That doctor asked if I wanted to avoid the health insurance and other official paperwork, because he said employers could figure out what it was for and it could cause problems.

I told him I didn't care. If the public school system fired me for it, I'd just go home sooner rather than later - which was looking like a good thing at the time...

Nothing ever came of it with the school. But he did give a warning, and the Korean teacher was dead-set against the idea of getting some professional help due to fear of people finding out....
mnjetter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling shenanigans on people who say unequivocally that you will not get a job if you are honest. I listed my Seasonal Affective Disorder on my application and was even asked about it in my job interview. I still got hired, and worked a full year's term at my school. I'm sure that SOME people would not hire you. Maybe even most--I have only personal experience to go by. But one thing I do know is that if I had not decided to be honest about who I am, I would not have been as happy in my situation as I ended up being. Because let's face it; a mental disorder is a part of your identity, whether you want it there or not. If you have it under control, that's awesome, but it will not lessen your stress to lie about it. I know that understanding about this kind of thing has begun to grow in Korea. One of my best friends here (Korean) is a psychiatrist, actually.

So my recommendation is to be honest. If you get hired, awesome. You will be in an understanding environment. If you don't get hired, take heart in the fact that you avoided putting yourself into a situation where you had to hide a part of who you are during a large portion of your waking hours for an entire year.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can I teach in South Korea? Mental health concerns... Reply with quote

nick2124 wrote:

What are my chances of teaching in Seoul? Let me guess....NILL?

With the current job market, Let's just say greatly reduced, possibly nil. You will have to avoid telling them on the application and letting your school know about it. It sounds to me like you could manage your condition without letting the school find out.

Last edited by young_clinton on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: