Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaining weight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrk888

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys draw the line here. Say what you will but I'm not giving out all this personal info on the Internet.

Said what I said. Take the point or don't. Deal with it. I'm done.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to know how long you've been lifting.
jrk888

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro do you even lift?
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that means you don't lift.

Funny meme though.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrk888 wrote:
Sorry guys draw the line here. Say what you will but I'm not giving out all this personal info on the Internet.

Said what I said. Take the point or don't. Deal with it. I'm done.

Alright, alright. We can forego the pic, but height, weight and age is not only doable, but mandatory for this discussion to coalesce. Both sides will come together in harmony and Dave's will forever be changed.

Be that catalyst jrk888.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if you are training 6 days a week and still gaining weight through fat, you are either not really training all that hard, or you are eating way, way, way too much food, irrespective of what it is.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrk888 wrote:
Bro do you even lift?

I do.

And some of your statements are fine, but others ring a little off.

You don't care about calories "so long as they are coming from clean sources" - so if you were to down 5000 a day of clean calories, that's be soooooo much better than 3000 from bad?

I'm down for cleaner/healthier foods, but there's also macros that you have to take into account. You say you've never counted calories, and you're not interested in it... but you're so quick to jump on the school lunch.

Did that school lunch help you gain 15lbs of muscle? WTF, I think I'm going to have to come over and chow down with ya - that's some impressive gains for an established lifter in 7 months.

15 lbs of muscle JUST from adding in a poor lunch.

Wow.

So once again, when you read what I've written above, can you not see why people would question your blaming it all on the school lunch?

jrk888 wrote:
First of all, I do it small portions throughout the day. I eat healthy. I was healthy in the U.S. Very lean, very athletic, very low body fat. It was not until Korea that I gained so much weight so quick and the only time I don't eat what I want is school lunch. I still keep the same exercise routine (said this 3 times now).

You can say it doesn't make sense to you but it's deductive reasoning. I ate healthy in the U.S. Started eating Korean lunches to remain respectful and gained 25 pounds from lunch alone. Nothing else has changed in my routine.

jrk888 wrote:
Well considering the body composition machine at my gym told me I gained 15 pounds of muscle I would consider it likely.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat seaweed soup packing on the calories I reckon.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

15 lbs of muscle JUST from adding in a poor lunch.

Wow.

Even more amazing, he's complaining about it.

"Gawwd! WTF? I just don't get it. I just keep getting more and more yoked. I hate these stupid bulging pecs, ripped quads and lethal lats. Gross. Why can't I return to the days of being so skinny that a strong breeze knocks me over??? FML!"

*looks longingly into the cosmos

*single tear falls down cheek
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had struggled with weight gain here as previously mentioned. I've mostly got it under control here now. I do like food. Guilty as charged. But try to follow the steps previously mentioned. I get the 'handsome' comment a lot from Koreans while also getting the 'pae' (belly) comment from some older Koreans and asking if I'm having a baby. I always reply: "Thank you". It completely messes them up and throws off their responses. I suggest the same for you if that's your problem. I'm really not fat, just a small belly, with muscles elsewhere.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: h Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
drydell wrote:
here's breakdown of typical Korean centenarian diet
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3062981/table/tab3/

this is the traditional Korean diet - what is not healthy about it?

Most modern nutritional experts would call that damn healthy.

Not sure what this has to do with the price of hookers in Pattaya. I've never met a single Korean who actually eats like this. It may be "traditional" but it isn't practiced, unless you're hanging with Monks in Gangwongdo.

Something a little more practical. The life saving, "well being" food Bibimbap -- praised by Koreans and English Teachers alike for its pure, life extending properties.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/korean-food-bi-bim-bap-1722876

Calories in Korean Food Bibimbap

Nutrition Facts
Korean Food - Bi Bim Bap
Servings:
Calories 643 Sodium 2902 mg
Total Fat 16 g Potassium 1018 mg
Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 90 g
Polyunsaturated 4 g Dietary Fiber 6 g
Monounsaturated 6 g Sugars 43 g
Trans 0 g Protein 36 g
Cholesterol 265 mg

Let's compare that with a Big Mac from McDonalds:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/mcdonalds-big-mac-47855082

Mcdonald's - Big Mac
Servings:
Calories 550 Sodium 1000 mg
Total Fat 29 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 10 g Total Carbs 46 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g
Trans 2 g Protein 25 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Vitamin A 6% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 2% Iron 25

More calories, A LOT more sodium, more carbs, more sugars and 3x the cholesterol.
Granted the Big Mac has more sat. fats -- but we're talking a McDonalds Big Mac here for f sake.

Most would be floored when examining any popular Korean dish and seeing just how unhealthy they all are. Korean food is laden with sodium, simple carbs and a shite ton of additives, sugars and processed oils.

But ya, keep stuffing your faces with that "well being" food, folks.

What bimbim bap is this? The kind I'm used to is all vegetables. Are you eating just the Big Mac? Usually french fries come with that along with a coke that pushes that calorie count past 1,000.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gained weight and workout every day and you blame it on school lunches.

Based on what ive read here you probably dont work out enough to actually make a difference. Running for 30 minutes a day burns what 300 calories or so depending on how fast youre running.

You dont know how many calories you eat, basically you eat more calories than you were burning before moving here. So simple solution, eat less calories, burn more calories, you will lose the weight.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*repost*

Last edited by Jyang486 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, how bout cutting out school lunches for a month, but keep everything else constant and see how that goes? if you knew school lunches were causing you to become more round in the face and stomach, why didn't you stop eating school lunches? it takes several hours for the body to fully digest, so you don't need to "feed your body" every few hours.

also, if the weight gain made you rounder in the face and stomach, then the majority of the weight gain was definitely not muscle gain. when I first came to Korea, I weighed 75 kg, a lot of it fat. I dropped close to 70 kg in the first couple months because of all the walking I did since I didn't have a car. then I gained 10 kg, up to 81 kg after 3 months of heavy lifting. that's roughly the 25 lbs you gained in the 7 months. but my stomach was flatter and face was more v-lined than when I was 70 kg. so I really doubt out of the 25 lbs of weight gain, 15 lbs was muscle.

@ nicwr2002: if I'm not mistaken, the spicy red paste you put in your bibimbap has a crapload of sugar and sodium in it. I know I can't eat bibimbap without drowning it with the red paste.
detonate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much stress and not enough rest days maybe? =/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: