Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaining weight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishead soup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good reason why foreigners tend to gain weight on Korean food while Koreans don't

Foreigners tend to like the less healthy food choices. Most love all the table cooked meat dishes. These while being the most delicious are the least healthy. The average meal for a Korean is a small bowl of soup and a few side dishes and maybe a piece of fish. Also consider they might eat this two or three times a day and only eat Kalbi onces a week at the most
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

NYC_Gal wrote:

If the Snickers bar is your entire meal, you're fine. I have that for breakfast sometimes, and am full for hours. It's only 250 calories or so. Definitely under 300. When it's in addition to a meal, it's not so good.

For me to be full, I'd probably need 15 Snickers bars Laughing

I'm the guy that orders three persons worth of chicken when I eat dak kalbi. And the last time I ate a Snickers bar (2, actually) was after polishing off those 3 servings of chicken, a few Chocopies, a crepe, and half a box of Binches for dinner a few days ago.

One of the hardest parts about eating healthy for me here is I have a huge appetite. It's not easy to find protein in large quantities that are cheap and healthy when you don't cook here.
dereklee003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I'm surprised how many people gain weight. I have lost 35 lbs (15 kl) since coming to Korea. I basically eat whatever I want, but I'd say my diet is close to 50/50 Korean and Western food. I think it helps that I walk everywhere and am more active than I was at home too.

The whole "white rice will make you fat" thing is BS as far as Im concerned. Both times I've lived in Asia (philippines 2 years, korea 1.5 years) I have ate rice almost everyday and lost significant weight.

I think for most Americans the problem is meal portions and fast food.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dereklee003 wrote:
Wow I'm surprised how many people gain weight. I have lost 35 lbs (15 kl) since coming to Korea. I basically eat whatever I want, but I'd say my diet is close to 50/50 Korean and Western food. I think it helps that I walk everywhere and am more active than I was at home too.

The whole "white rice will make you fat" thing is BS as far as Im concerned. Both times I've lived in Asia (philippines 2 years, korea 1.5 years) I have ate rice almost everyday and lost significant weight.

I think for most Americans the problem is meal portions and fast food.

I worked for a nutrition and fitness guru in when I was in university, and white rice, while not deadly, certainly isn't as healthy as brown rice or barley, which have the hull and more protein.

I suppose I'm an enigma. I don't eat massive portions. I was a vegetarian before coming here, but eat a bit of seafood because it's in everything here, and the only fast food I ever have is the occasional (every other week or so when I take a few students out) 2 slices of Pizza Maru, which has a healthier crust, if not the best food for you. It's green and the posters show numerous grains, at least.

I just don't have the choices here. I'm sure for many Americans, your are right, but I just can't seem to lose the weight I gained. I'm not gaining now, but I can't lose it. I figure 2 weeks at home should help some, as I'll be able to find some decent detox food at the farmers' markets, and will be able to pack the non-perishable health foods that I thought would be available here.
mcviking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Korea to have the opposite effect in terms of weight management. Smaller portions, lots of walking, and in general healthier fast foods. Sure argue all you want that white rice isn't nutritious. But I have lost a considerable amount of weight in Korea. In a year I lost about ten inches off my waist line and dropped at least 30 kilos. Look around. I don't see too many Korean fatties. Produce is cheap, lots of veggies in Korean food. As long as you don't live at McDonald's and drink every night, I think you should have no problem maintaining your weight if not losing it.
banjois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: 삼겹살.

Pork belly's gonna be the death of me....
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal wrote:
I eat brown rice, black barley, acorn or buckwheat noodles, loads of veggies and tofu, nuts, and the occasional bit of seafood.

Kimchi is eaten, but in moderation, due to the salt content.

I go to the health club, but the ellipticals are crap so I don't do the amount of cardio that I used to, but I still walk everywhere, as I did at home. I do pilates 3 times a week. I don't drink.

I've gained 7 kilo this year, which is nuts.

I can't wait to go home for home leave and load up on the natural supplements that I thought would be available here. Greens powder, green tea extract (you can add it to your fresh-squeezed OJ and there's little to no taste, with all the benefits), brazil nuts, edible goji berries, and such. Don't forget the vegetable rennet tablets so that I can make cottage cheese instead of paneer.

And fiber-laden whole-wheat pasta!

Having to subsist on mainly carbs has done this. I never ate as much rice or noodles (I hardly ate noodles!) when I was home, because I had variety.

I've started losing a little, having switched to rice and beans more often, with a high beans to rice ratio. It's tough though.

You are getting fat because you have a rubbish diet. Eat meat and vegetables. Humans didn't eat goji berries and pasta for 99.9% of their evolution, what makes you think they would be good things now?

We evolved eating meat, when tha wasn't available, we ate vegetables. Most of the crap you are rabbiting on about didn't even exist until very recently. How could that be healthy?
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:
I eat brown rice, black barley, acorn or buckwheat noodles, loads of veggies and tofu, nuts, and the occasional bit of seafood.

I go to the health club, but the ellipticals are crap so I don't do the amount of cardio that I used to, but I still walk everywhere, as I did at home. I do pilates 3 times a week. I don't drink.

I can't wait to go home for home leave and load up on the natural supplements that I thought would be available here. Greens powder, green tea extract (you can add it to your fresh-squeezed OJ and there's little to no taste, with all the benefits), brazil nuts, edible goji berries, and such. Don't forget the vegetable rennet tablets so that I can make cottage cheese instead of paneer.

Having to subsist on mainly carbs has done this. I never ate as much rice or noodles (I hardly ate noodles!) when I was home, because I had variety.

I've started losing a little, having switched to rice and beans more often, with a high beans to rice ratio. It's tough though.

You are getting fat because you have a rubbish diet. Eat meat and vegetables. Humans didn't eat goji berries and pasta for 99.9% of their evolution, what makes you think they would be good things now?

We evolved eating meat, when tha wasn't available, we ate vegetables. Most of the crap you are rabbiting on about didn't even exist until very recently. How could that be healthy?

Berries were probably one of the earliest foods that humans ate... I ate the same amount of grains when I lived back home, but I had more choices (quinoa, etc). I was a size 0 (mind you I'm only 5 feet tall, so not anorexic thin) and very fit (I worked out with weights, rode my bike, and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). Now I'm a size 3/4 and very annoyed.

Meat isn't necessary. We evolved to be able to eat meat, but we can survive very well without it. I never had a weight problem before when eating a grain and veggie diet, but the variety is lacking here.

As for pasta, I prefer grains, but eat pasta in soups. Pasta is my treat. Not every day, and never the fried crap. I had it at home, but it was never a problem before. I did have the high-fiber stuff though, so will be bringing a lot back with me.

My diet would be one of the healthiest possible if but for a number of items unavailable here. Live and learn. This time my luggage will be packed with non-perishables instead of clothes and household stuff.

Meat's fine if you like it. I just don't. I never had a weight problem before Korea is all I'm saying.
BringTheRain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost 15kg, gained 5 back, lost the 5, then gained 10 back of the 15 I originally lost in the 6 years I've been here. Shocked

I lost a ton cuz I was eating Korean food and lifting light in the gym. Then I put 10 back on mostly cuz I started going to Costco alot and started lifting heavy.

That Scientific American article is a good read. I am so sick of takin in the empty carbs that come with white rice.
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal wrote:
Senior wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:

Berries were probably one of the earliest foods that humans ate... I ate the same amount of grains when I lived back home, but I had more choices (quinoa, etc). I was a size 0 (mind you I'm only 5 feet tall, so not anorexic thin) and very fit (I worked out with weights, rode my bike, and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). Now I'm a size 3/4 and very annoyed.

Sure, early humans ate berries, but it's impossible to subsist on them.

Your young body could handle a crappy diet. It's starting to catch up on you.

Exercise is important but not essential, and it can't compensate for a rubbish diet.

Quote:
Meat isn't necessary. We evolved to be able to eat meat, but we can survive very well without it. I never had a weight problem before when eating a grain and veggie diet, but the variety is lacking here.

Grade A+ rubbish. It's impossible for a human to survive without meat.

Quote:
As for pasta, I prefer grains, but eat pasta in soups. Pasta is my treat. Not every day, and never the fried crap. I had it at home, but it was never a problem before. I did have the high-fiber stuff though, so will be bringing a lot back with me.

There isn't too much evidence that fibre is important. It is a canard extension of the lipid hypothesis.

Quote:
My diet would be one of the healthiest possible if but for a number of items unavailable here. Live and learn. This time my luggage will be packed with non-perishables instead of clothes and household stuff.

You really think a few unavailable items wrecked your diet? It's even sadder you think nonperishable items will cure your ills. Fresh meat and vegetables are the human diet.

Quote:
Meat's fine if you like it. I just don't. I never had a weight problem before Korea is all I'm saying.

You hadn't sufficiently ruined your metabolism yet. It's not too late, but you have to inform yourself about what humans are really "designed" to eat.

I highly recommend these blogs
http://www.paleonu.com/
http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Plus, a book called Good Calories, Bad Calories.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400040787 I can't seem to get my public link to work. But, if you want a thorough debunking of the lipid hypothesis, backed up with some "science", pm me and I will email you the PDF.
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringTheRain wrote:
I've lost 15kg, gained 5 back, lost the 5, then gained 10 back of the 15 I originally lost in the 6 years I've been here. Shocked

I lost a ton cuz I was eating Korean food and lifting light in the gym. Then I put 10 back on mostly cuz I started going to Costco alot and started lifting heavy.

That Scientific American article is a good read. I am so sick of takin in the empty carbs that come with white rice.

Who cares what you weigh? If you were lifting heavy you would've put on weight from muscle.
BringTheRain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior wrote:

Who cares what you weigh? If you were lifting heavy you would've put on weight from muscle.

Thread titled Gaining Weight... I'm like the 10th person to comment on weight gain in this thread, why jump on me? Crawl back into your hole.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/chestera/unsuccessful-troll.jpg
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringTheRain wrote:
Senior wrote:

Thread titled Gaining Weight... I'm like the 10th person to comment on weight gain in this thread, why jump on me? Crawl back into your hole.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/chestera/unsuccessful-troll.jpg

Relax guy. I'm not trying to diss your get up or anything. You complimented the article I posted then called me a troll. Just relax.
mcviking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:
Senior wrote:
NYC_Gal wrote:

Sure, early humans ate berries, but it's impossible to subsist on them.

Your young body could handle a crappy diet. It's starting to catch up on you.

Exercise is important but not essential, and it can't compensate for a rubbish diet.

Quote:

Quote:

There isn't too much evidence that fibre is important. It is a canard extension of the lipid hypothesis.

Quote:

You really think a few unavailable items wrecked your diet? It's even sadder you think nonperishable items will cure your ills. Fresh meat and vegetables are the human diet.

Quote:

You hadn't sufficiently ruined your metabolism yet. It's not too late, but you have to inform yourself about what humans are really "designed" to eat.

I highly recommend these blogs
http://www.paleonu.com/
http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Plus, a book called Good Calories, Bad Calories.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400040787 I can't seem to get my public link to work. But, if you want a thorough debunking of the lipid hypothesis, backed up with some "science", pm me and I will email you the PDF.

Size zero or 1 is a weight problem? Seriously? Also it is possible to not eat meat contradictory to what was said, but my heavens is it delicious. I find it fascinating that the country that is the most obsessed with fat free, gluten free, soy bean, non half, organic, sugar free nonsense also has the highest obesity rate. Vitamins are for suckers. Nutrients deprived from foods are infinitely more soluble and retained by the body. All it takes is some common sense. Take it from an ever decreasing fatty.
UknowsI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best to never be too stubborn about health tips and accept other people view. We don't have any real answers to what is healthy and what is not, so if a diet works for somebody accept it and don't preach what they are doing wrong and what they should do instead.
Senior wrote:

Please tell that to the hundreds of millions of vegetarians around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: