Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARC and VISA end dates different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Turk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: ARC and VISA end dates different Reply with quote

Hello,
My VISA end date is Aug 13th and my ARC end date is Aug 20th. I am assuming that my last day of work should be Aug 13th, right?

Does that mean I have to leave the country by the 20th since my ARC ends then?

To make it even more confusing. My payday is the 20th. What is the chance of my employer saying I never completed a full year and shaft me my severance?
tired of LA

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last day you are legally allowed to work and stay in Korea is the date on your ARC. The date on your visa is only important if you were given a multiple entry visa and you plan on taking a trip abroad and return after the date on your visa and before the date on your ARC.
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about what tired is saying. I think the procedure is to get an extension on your current visa so you can finish working and get your severance, apply for pension funds, and transfer your money out of Korea if you want.

Also, immigration will want to see flight information to OK all this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seoulio

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tired of LA wrote:
The last day you are legally allowed to work and stay in Korea is the date on your ARC. The date on your visa is only important if you were given a multiple entry visa and you plan on taking a trip abroad and return after the date on your visa and before the date on your ARC.

Um no he must be out of the country by the end date on his VISA, A visa is what you use to gain access to a country NOT an ARC. Your ARC is nothing more than your legal identification in Korea.

OP if you plan on staying past the 13th you simply phone immigration get an appointment and get an extension
tired of LA

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeinkorea wrote:
I am not sure about what tired is saying. I think the procedure is to get an extension on your current visa so you can finish working and get your severance, apply for pension funds, and transfer your money out of Korea if you want.

Also, immigration will want to see flight information to OK all this.

I'm not too sure what you're talking about. The OP didn't ask about how to extend his stay. He asked about the conflicting dates on his ARC and visa, which is the question I answered. He can legally work and stay until the date on his ARC. The date on his visa are not important except in the situation I mentioned.

Seoulio wrote:
tired of LA wrote:

Um no he must be out of the country by the end date on his VISA, A visa is what you use to gain access to a country NOT an ARC. Your ARC is nothing more than your legal identification in Korea.

OP if you plan on staying past the 13th you simply phone immigration get an appointment and get an extension

Um... Yes, I am correct and you have no clue as to what you're talking about. Maybe if you have been in Korea longer than 6 months and have actually extended a visa before, you might know what you're talking about. The expiration date on your visa is one year from date of issue, whereas the date on you ARC is one year from date of entry. Your period of sojurn is for one year, so you can stay and work until the date on your ARC. The visa is what gains you entry to Korea, but your period of sojurn does not start until you enter.
isisaredead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulio wrote:
tired of LA wrote:

it's almost disturbing how wrong you are.

the end date on your ARC is when you have to be out, OP. visas, contracts, etc make no difference - it's that date on the card.

trust me on this one - i went to immigration not four hours ago with a query somewhat similar to yours.

to address your concerns:

1. your last day of work is whenever you and your boss agreed. it will be reflected in a contract or a spoken agreement.

2. midnight, august 20, 2010.

3. no one can answer that except for you. is your boss a bit on the dishonest side? is there any reason for him to say you didn't fulfill your obligations to the contract and/or business agreement? i think you'll be fine, but i'm a total stranger who has no idea what the situation truly is. so take that as you will.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghod - the mud is thick here.

OP:

Let me clarify some things here for you (and a few others - like Seoulio who was dead wrong)

Your "visa" dates have no meaning after you have entered Korea (unless you are American AND have a multi-entry visa).

IF you ARE American AND you have a multi entry visa then your multi-entry privileges END at the expiry date on your visa. Your EXIT date from Korea is the date on your ARC.

IF you are NOT American then the ONLY date you need to be concerned with is the end date on your ARC. This the date you MUST either LEAVE Korea or get an extension before.

IF you want to/need to stay beyond the end date of your ARC it is a simple process to get a short extension (non-working) of up to 30 days.

Seoulio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if two well known and respected posters are correcting me then I must be in error, would have figured that there would be a LOGIC to this process and all seeing as though the Visa is the thing they stamp allowing you into the country, and that they tell you you have a year from the day of entry to leave.

But I guess I am wrong, sorry
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IF you want to/need to stay beyond the end date of your ARC it is a simple process to get a short extension (non-working) of up to 30 days.

Quote:
the Visa is the thing they stamp allowing you into the country.

Now it's my turn maybe to be corrected.

I thought you could in theory not have an ARC card, just visa. If you wanted to stay longer you would in my mind get an extension (VISA related, not ARC related). This extension could either be work related or be a tourist status visa.

Then, the ARC card would take a secondary role but still be necessary to update.

You could keep the ARC card and leave the country and re-enter, if you re-enter before the ARC card expires without hassles. It's the visa that would be canceled (in this case not being a multiple entry visa)

Feel free to correct if my understanding is wrong here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
IF you ARE American AND you have a multi entry visa then your multi-entry privileges END at the expiry date on your visa. Your EXIT date from Korea is the date on your ARC.

So if your ARC expires before the end of your visa, you have to leave the country?
isisaredead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

So if your ARC expires before the end of your visa, you have to leave the country?

that's why it's a common problem to have one's ARC end before the contract/visa. many people find they have to go to immigration to get a few days extension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: