Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to eat some Kangaroo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjaminthunderbolt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: I want to eat some Kangaroo! Reply with quote

Hey ya'll,

Went to Sao Paulo in Gangnam last night (Brazilian steak house) because I was told you could find kangaroo there. Well, it seems they've taken it off the menu, because there wasn't any kangaroo in sight. The place itself was just alright, but now I've got a hankering to eat some kangaroo (or any other exotic meat besides dog that Korea has to offer)

Does anyone know another place serving Kangaroo? Any suggestions for other weird meats (dog and seafood not included)? Have you tried anything really out there that you could guide me towards?
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I went vegetarian:

moose (hunted by grandpa)
caribou (hunted by grandpa)
venison (hunted by grandpa)
wild turkey (hunted by grandpa)
elk
antelope
wild boar
frog
alligator
snake
turtle
cricket
ants (covered in chocolate!)
duck and chicken feet
beef tongue
bird's nest
fish belly (I don't recommend it)
daemyann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal wrote:
Before I went vegetarian:

moose (hunted by grandpa)
caribou (hunted by grandpa)
venison (hunted by grandpa)
wild turkey (hunted by grandpa)
elk
antelope
wild boar
frog
alligator
snake
turtle
cricket
ants (covered in chocolate!)
duck and chicken feet
beef tongue
bird's nest
fish belly (I don't recommend it)

I think he getting more at where the places were(if any were i Seoul), rather than simply what you've tried...
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah my bad.

You should try that whole chicken in ginseng soup.

If you DO want to try seafood, I'd say whole live baby octopus.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia might be more promising for 'roo and other wild game. Korea doesn't seem to have these natural resources.
crossmr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
Australia might be more promising for 'roo and other wild game. Korea doesn't seem to have these natural resources.

They import it obviously. When I had Kangaroo there it was part of the unlimited meat special. It was one of the courses.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: I want to eat some Kangaroo! Reply with quote

benjaminthunderbolt wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Went to Sao Paulo in Gangnam last night (Brazilian steak house) because I was told you could find kangaroo there. Well, it seems they've taken it off the menu, because there wasn't any kangaroo in sight. The place itself was just alright, but now I've got a hankering to eat some kangaroo (or any other exotic meat besides dog that Korea has to offer)

Does anyone know another place serving Kangaroo? Any suggestions for other weird meats (dog and seafood not included)? Have you tried anything really out there that you could guide me towards?

Jeju horse.
egrog1717

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: I want to eat some Kangaroo! Reply with quote

Xuanzang wrote:
benjaminthunderbolt wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Jeju horse.

Seabiscuit didn't do so well at the track eh? ;D
CSpace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangaroo actually isn't that good.

Its sold in most Australian supermarkets, but only tastes good on how you cook it.

I once had kangaroo sliced thinly and fried (similar to bacon) and it was delicious.

The next time I tried it as a thick steak and neither I nor my friend could eat more than 2 bites, it was not good.

I prefer crocodile, cooked in Australian "tourist" restaurants, absolutely delicious and very healthy, its the other "white meat".

crocodiles have no body fat, so crocodile meat is super healthy white meat. (tastes like chicken breast only better).

However, if you really want to eat kangaroo, then try around at one of the zoos - their restaurants may sell it. Zoo's in china have restaurants selling kangaroo meat (imported from Australia) hippo steaks, etc etc, so maybe one of the zoos in Seoul may sell it.
hwarangi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cats eat kangaroo.
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSpace wrote:

Its sold in most Australian supermarkets, but only tastes good on how you cook it.

This is very true. Kangaroo is really lean, so you need to cook it to medium rare at the most. Once you lose the pink, it becomes really dry and tough. However a nice rare to medium-rare kangaroo steak is great, and also about as low fat as red meat comes.

If anyone can tell me where to get good kangaroo in Seoul, I'm there!
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruthdes wrote:
CSpace wrote:

This is very true. Kangaroo is really lean, so you need to cook it to medium rare at the most. Once you lose the pink, it becomes really dry and tough. However a nice rare to medium-rare kangaroo steak is great, and also about as low fat as red meat comes.

If anyone can tell me where to get good kangaroo in Seoul, I'm there!

You'd do best if you can buy it frozen and cook it yourself. Sorry, I don't know where, but you would only find a seller of a rare item by asking in Korean or if you luckily stumble upon it. Would be tough to stumble on it, because it would probably be unrecognizable in some freezer. Something like, "awdeero Hoju kangeroo?"

Older buck deer are so lean you only slow cook it in a pot of water with a few spoons of olive oil with young deer being great for a medium rare pan sear. While I prefer super lean meats, they need a little bit of oil and I can't think of anything better than olive oil. I personally prefer to cook my own specialties like sea bass and pork loin. There's no MSG, it's not over cooked, not too skimpy, nor is it thinly sliced raw crud. It's baked, grilled, or slow cooked in water. Only specialty I like the Koreans make is their grilled bell pepper and shitake mushroom dish.
MattHart09

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a restaurant in Itaewon called Kabinett that has an excellent kangaroo steak. It's pretty much across the street from Rocky Mountain Tavern. It's a bit pricey, but an option for kangaroo nonetheless
Steve_Rogers2008

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwarangi wrote:
my cats eat kangaroo.

odd... my kangaroo eats cat.... he likes the Garfield kind the most. Twisted Evil
Big Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got lots of kangaroo at the Woolworths near where I'm living....in Australia. I'd ship it to you but I doubt it will be any good by the time you get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: