Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gwangmyeong school????? ADVICE PLEASE :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amcnutt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Gwangmyeong school????? ADVICE PLEASE :) Reply with quote

I have been offered a job in Gwangmyeong, which is just outside Seoul from the sounds of it. It would be at Sogang University Language Program (SLP). I would be teaching kindergarten/elementary which is fine with me!
I had a few questions, listed below:
1) Is this a nice area? How long would it take to get downtown (Gangnam etc) on the subway?
2) Has anyone ever taught at this school? Feedback welcome (good boss? pay on time? etc)
3) This is my first offer. I'm torn between grabbing it or waiting till I get a few more offers to mull over and pick the best one. Thoughts?
yfb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why SLP is nicknamed the Slave Labor Program on this board...
amcnutt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfb wrote:
There's a reason why SLP is nicknamed the Slave Labor Program on this board...

I hope this school isn't like that. Doesn't it depend on the actual branch? That's what I've been told on this forum. All chains have their good/bad sites, which is what I was curious about...
My friend worked at one SLP (not this one) last year and said it was a great school.
My contract states that I work no weekends, I work 940 to 440 (TR) and 540 (MWF) which includes prep time and breaks.
There are 9 Canadians/Americans and 10 Korean teachers.

Anyone have any advice/input on that particular branch or the area of gwangmyeong in general?
emanresu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Gwangmyeong

It is about 45 min from Gangnam, Insadong and Itaewon and 30 min from Hongdae.

I don't know anything about that school.
Maybe you should try posting here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126655296851
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLP has the nickname of Slave Labor Program because you WILL work for 1800 minutes (20-21 classes of 90 minutes) for the SAME money as the next hakwon monkey doing 1500 minutes (30 classes of 50 minutes).

It means 6 HOURS (per week) more time on your feet in front of the class for the same money.

It's all in your contract. Read it before you sign it and be aware of what you are agreeing to.

amcnutt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I am considering it, it's the only offer I've gotten so far. Apparently this branch is very well-managed, there are many foreign teachers, and the director is great. I'm definitely considering it.

(bump! my interview is tonight and i need any last minute feedback!)
gillod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Gwangmyeong. I really like it! It's super close to Seoul (A cab to Hongdae is 10k won or a 20 minute subway ride), but it's never stuffed with brands. We have a lot of markets and traditional shops, but there's a Dunkin' Donuts, too. There are some really close little hiking trails and the river walk that goes down to the Han. People won't stare at you. Chulsan is close if you wanna get drunk without going all the way into Seoul.

I'm super happy here. PM me if you want a tour or something
meaghan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about that school, but Gwangmyeong is really nice and super close to Seoul (it basically IS in Seoul, really)
amcnutt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Gwangmyeong sounds like a really nice area, close to DT as well as places to explore the outdoors. I just joined Gwangmyeong English Teachers group on Facebook, if anyone else is on there I would love to meet new people once I get there Smile

My interview went really well and I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept once I examine the contract carefully!

Also, if I wanted to go to Hongdae would it be faster to take a cab or jump on the subway? I hear the sub is excellent in Seoul Metro!
Missihippi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subway there, cab back.. Subways stop running at midnight.

Chances are, you will be living in the foreigner "vertical ghetto" called Bobostel located near Cheolsan station. It's a good location, but the apartments are kinda old, small, and not well maintained.
detourne_me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd kinda rather live there than my 2 bedroom ju-gong apartment though.
at least bobostel was built after the invention of a level.
my windows don't close properly, the floor is slanted, the *cough* linoleum wasn't even properly applied to the floor and it sticks up all over the place.
Not to mention the walls with 20+ years of wallpaper built up.
Stine3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Worked in Gwangmyeong SLP in 2017 Reply with quote

I worked at Gwangmyeong SLP in 2017. This SLP is similar to the other stories you have heard of online about SLP. I will say that you are always paid on time and your apartment is generally okay. It's very tiny and about a 15 minute bus ride away from the school.

Although this school is not the hagwon of nightmares, I still wish I did not waste a year of my life working there. The hagwon is business-focused and just a really negative place to work. I don't think a week went by when at least one co-worker didn't cry. I even cried... a few times! And I've never cried at a job.

When ever the bosses felt like a foreign teacher was about to quit, they would give them false promises of becoming "foreign teacher manager." It never happened, and it was promised to about three of us by the time I left.

If you are thinking of working there I would give you this advice. Talk to a teacher currently working there, and then ask for an ADDITIONAL teacher to contact. There is usually one teacher that can hold their tongue enough that the director will trust them as the contact. If they cannot give you at least one additional teacher to contact, then that is because everyone else is too busy trying to keep their sanity to get through the day.
Also if you are a man then you will have it easier. Men tend to be treated better by the bosses. You will get massaged by the male owner (happened frequently), he may even break into your apartment (happened once that we knew of because the teacher was still in the apartment), and he may ask you about which female staff members you want to sleep with. This is sadly the better treatment. If you are a woman, good luck. if you are a woman who is being recruited as a kindergarten teacher just say no.

Kindergarten teachers can make much more money putting up with less riff raff at another school.
It should also be noted that all teachers teach at least a few classes of kindergarten a week. Poo will become part of your daily life. If you are not okay with that, then this job isn't for you. Honestly, this job isn't for anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: