Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrested for pot 10 years ago...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildman082

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Arrested for pot 10 years ago... Reply with quote

I've been searching on the forum and I'm pretty sure I answered my own question but I just wanted to confirm. I was arrested for pot and paraphernalia when I was 18 (10 years ago). I just received my background check and it does show the arrest but it says the charge was dismissed. In my state we have something called pre trial intervention where if you complete it your charges are dismissed. So I do not have a conviction.
Because this is a drug related offense it will prevent me from being able to get a visa correct? Is that a hard rule or is it a case by case basis? I'm just trying to figure out if I should bother applying for teaching jobs.
Thanks in advance for any help/info!
Radius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, theres no way you'll teach here.
wildman082

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply! I guess I'll have to decide if it is worth the time and money to have my record expunged.
southernman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually sucks that your record isn't automatically expunged after 7 years, if you don't reoffend. I take it you're from the USA

Several of the western countries that have citizens teaching here have that policy

The Governments of those countries acknowledge that people make mistakes and bad choices when they're students and that penalizing people for youthful digressions for the rest of their lives is wrong.

Radius, I'm not meaning you when I say the following.

Heaps of people on this board say if you have any sort or record you shouldn't be allowed to teach, to me thats a tad self righteous

I think everyone experiments when they're young and some very unlucky people get caught and prosecuted for it.

Get it expunged... I've an American friend here who did that, he's been here for over 3 years and is a very capable teacher and well liked.

Last edited by southernman on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
northway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernman wrote:
Heaps of people on this board say if you have any sort or record you shoudn't be allowed to teach, to me thats a tad self righteous

I think everyone experiments when they're young and some very unlucky people get caught and prosecuted for it.

Not to mention there are hugely different degrees of legality in regards to pot based on where you're coming from. I can smoke pot in my adopted home of Montreal in front of a cop and (at worst) get the equivalent of a parking ticket, and even the chances of that occurring are essentially nil. I can smoke pot in my home state of Massachusetts in front of a cop and get said parking ticket. Or I can smoke pot in Texas and get a permanent mark on my record. Given these inconsistencies, I don't see how people can get off saying that a pot conviction should preclude you from teaching.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildman, there's always China
southernman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
southernman wrote:
Heaps of people on this board say if you have any sort or record you shoudn't be allowed to teach, to me thats a tad self righteous

Not to mention there are hugely different degrees of legality in regards to pot based on where you're coming from. I can smoke pot in my adopted home of Montreal in front of a cop and (at worst) get the equivalent of a parking ticket, and even the chances of that occurring are essentially nil. I can smoke pot in my home state of Massachusetts in front of a cop and get said parking ticket. Or I can smoke pot in Texas and get a permanent mark on my record. Given these inconsistencies, I don't see how people can get off saying that a pot conviction should preclude you from teaching.

Agreed, some people here believe they've led a life totally beyond reproach Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by southernman on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Arrested for pot 10 years ago... Reply with quote

wildman082 wrote:
I've been searching on the forum and I'm pretty sure I answered my own question but I just wanted to confirm. I was arrested for pot and paraphernalia when I was 18 (10 years ago). I just received my background check and it does show the arrest but it says the charge was dismissed. In my state we have something called pre trial intervention where if you complete it your charges are dismissed. So I do not have a conviction.
Because this is a drug related offense it will prevent me from being able to get a visa correct? Is that a hard rule or is it a case by case basis? I'm just trying to figure out if I should bother applying for teaching jobs.
Thanks in advance for any help/info!

As long as there is ANY REFERENCE to a drug related charge is on your background check your visa application will be refused without recourse.

If you can clear it up so that it doesn't show on your FBI check you will have a chance.

Hotwire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did time 18 yrs ago for fighting. I'll not say how long but it was less than a year. I was a youngun and hadn't even been to college yet. Guy was almost ten yrs older than me and started it and should've known better as he was 26 hanging around with a bunch of 17 yr olds. Anyway.

I also had several fines for pot and petty theft etc.

Where I'm from it's all considered spent after I think it's 5 or 7 years so now my record is sparkely clean and I hope at least ten out of all the hundreds or probably a thousand korean kids I've spent time with teaching English over the years have benefited!

Not proud of the criminal (mostly petty) acts I commited but my point is people can and do change.
southernman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotwire wrote:
I did time 18 yrs ago for fighting. I'll not say how long but it was less than a year. I was a youngun and hadn't even been to college yet. Guy was almost ten yrs older than me and started it and should've known better as he was 26 hanging around with a bunch of 17 yr olds. Anyway.

Where I'm from it's all considered spent after I think it's 5 or 7 years so now my record is sparkely clean and I hope at least ten out of all the hundreds or probably a thousand korean kids I've spent time with teaching English over the years have benefited!

Not proud of the criminal (mostly petty) acts I commited but my point is people can and do change.

I take it you mean you did time in the Juvenile system, not adult time. Because assault isn't expunged from your record, just like other offences that are considered serious, they are always on your record. Prison time is definitley on your record for life. The only offences expunged are the ones that are considered misdemeanors.

Thats the way it is in my country anyway or maybe you're just trolling to wind up people..... Wink

How anyone could compare a minor pot offence to an assault that warranted a prison sentence, seriously brings your credibilty into question. However, i've posted after having partaken in the past and made a tool of myself, so I'll just assume you've had a few
wildman082

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses guys! Yes, I am from the US, and I'm looking in to getting my record expunged.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotwire wrote:

Once again the link between unemployable screw-ups being more likely to be racist haters gets stronger.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side - you have a good shot at getting into Berkeley!
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
southernman wrote:

Because he wants to teach in Korea not Montreal or Massachusetts or Texas.

That's why.
Hotwire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. In my country (UK) records ARE spent after 7 years. Yes I was in a young offender's insititute.

B. I'm not a racist or a hater and certainly not an aplotroll.

C. I was attacked at the age ot 17 by a 26 year old man twice my size and my friend helped me out without my asking and we beat the preverbial out of him. That makes me not able to be a good and compassionate teacher when I started teaching 10 years later? Anyone who thinks that is a clownish waste of space and a bore.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: