Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHECK YOUR APARTMENTS!!! HUGE FIRE IN BUSAN!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoul'n'Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: CHECK YOUR APARTMENTS!!! HUGE FIRE IN BUSAN! Reply with quote

Alright, apparently no one here is reporting on this story so I will.
Today during the afternoon a fire broke out in Haeundae Busan at a high end area. A big gold building right across from the apex center 4th floor caught fire, but the fire didn't stop it kept going and raced up the side of the building within mere minutes.
No fatalities were reported however, this again shows how incompetent builders are here. This particular building (high end apt) had no safety equipment and no alarms and no fire-extinguishers. The outside of the building was covered in gold colored mylar plastic.

Check the safety of your buildings people! Here is another great example of Korea's fire prevention strategy! Seems to be working! (lol!!)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/10/01/46/0302000000AEN20101001004200315F.HTML

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20101001000621
Kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something from a James Bond movie, maybe Goldfinger himself lives there. My last year's co-teacher lives there; she was completely useless, caused me heaps of grief but I think her apartment was spared.
Seoul'n'Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurtz wrote:
Looks like something from a James Bond movie, maybe Goldfinger himself lives there. My last year's co-teacher lives there; she was completely useless, caused me heaps of grief but I think her apartment was spared.

Doubtful. All the tenants have to move as the structural integrity of the building sounds like it was compromised due to the extreme heat on the 4th floor. Shocked

The whole situation proves that Korea has a long way to go in fire safety. How many more people have to die before Korea starts to actually make it mandatory for fire-alarms and BASIC safety equipment in buildings.
How about having a common sense class too while were at it.
The whole "it won't happen to me attitude" of the general population here needs to stop. Last year it was the Busan shooting range where tourists lost their lives, now this!
FDNY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul'n'Corea wrote:

The whole situation proves that Korea has a long way to go in fire safety. How many more people have to die before Korea starts to actually make it mandatory for fire-alarms and BASIC safety equipment in buildings.
How about having a common sense class too while were at it.
The whole "it won't happen to me attitude" of the general population here needs to stop. Last year it was the Busan shooting range where tourists lost their lives, now this!

Yeah, maybe some more highly paid civil servants with golden parachutes to put these things on place. Then we can give them all low interest loans to buy houses...

No thanks. Government should be kept to a minimum, let Darwin sort out the rest.
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fire was started by ajeossi guards burning garbage inside the building!!!

Don't worry so much about your high-rise building.....they're built to code these days......worry about the uneducated 68 year-old country men who are employed to work in your building!
Seoul'n'Corea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:

Don't worry so much about your high-rise building.....they're built to code these days......worry about the uneducated 68 year-old country men who are employed to work in your building!

Sorry but "to code" means little here. Most office-tels and apartments have no safety.

Yes, you're right it seems those guards were probably smoking and threw their cigarette into the recycle. These guys are just brilliant. How did theses munkeys get hired in the first place?
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lat night's news on MBC said they were actually burning trash inside the building.

Ajeossi's love a little fire.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2926665

Quote:
Experts said yesterday�s fire was their worst nightmare come true. They said high-rises around the nation are particularly vulnerable to fire because they are built with flammable exterior materials.

�The sprinkler system worked,� said Lee Gap-jin, a senior official at Busan Fire Department�s Geumgang branch. But building codes didn�t require sprinklers on the janitors� room floor.

�And the flames on the exterior walls were too strong, so the sprinklers weren�t much help,� he said.
sallymonster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just that there are no fire alarms in my building, but here in Korea I can't even find a smoke detector that I can buy and install myself! Evil or Very Mad
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajossis burning rubbish inside a building?

This is exactly why I'm getting out of here next year.

What an utter failure.
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security guard jobs are a form of old age pension in Korea. They hire some useless turd who probably can't even read. They sleep the days away and get 1.1 million won a month.

I will save you all some time. 9 out of 10 buildings have no fire safety. They build them out of stone so they don't think they have to.

My building for example. I live on the 3rd floor. There is but one staircase. If it were blocked by a raging fire, I guess we could run to the roof and hope to be saved by a fire truck. But I doubt the fire truck could even get that close with all the illegally parked cars everywhere.

So jump? I might break my knee but I bet I'd live. My wife, same. My 3 year old daughter? Not so lucky.

Life is cheap in Asia. Get used to it.

Seoul'n'Corea wrote:
eamo wrote:

Sorry but "to code" means little here. Most office-tels and apartments have no safety.

Yes, you're right it seems those guards were probably smoking and threw their cigarette into the recycle. These guys are just brilliant. How did theses munkeys get hired in the first place?
pkang0202

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul'n'Corea wrote:
eamo wrote:

In case you didn't know, that metal rung attached to the wall near the window in that officeTel? Taht's your fire escape. When I lived in my officeTel, I found the rope to climb down under the sink.

Better than nothing.
happiness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:

cant help it, country developed too fast and this is what you get. its a shame, but its understandable. you got tech saavy young high school kids and their countryside grandparents who may have a tv and maybe a phone.

as far as the wont happen to me thing...well...thats everywhere, but yeah, its bad here...
eslwriter

Location: A dot on the planet with an exaggerated sense of importance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of stories swirling about the fire.

Here's another. The glass panes are made from a special material that is highly flammable. They are also expensive, which is why the security guard didn't want the fire department to break the windows without permission from the building owner.

That delay coupled with a wind tunnel effect fueled the fire.

What I can't understand is ...

Why the fire dept needs permission to perform their public duty?

Why are buildings made with flammable windows?

Why nobody in Busan feels sorry for those apartment owners (actually I know the answer - each unit costs at least a million bucks, so I heard).
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslwriter wrote:
Lots of stories swirling about the fire.

Here's another. The glass panes are made from a special material that is highly flammable. They are also expensive, which is why the security guard didn't want the fire department to break the windows without permission from the building owner.

That delay coupled with a wind tunnel effect fueled the fire.

What I can't understand is ...

Why the fire dept needs permission to perform their public duty?

Why are buildings made with flammable windows?

Why nobody in Busan feels sorry for those apartment owners (actually I know the answer - each unit costs at least a million bucks, so I heard).

The space between the buildings acted just like a chimney and lit things up like a roman candle.

Expensive windows--that's interesting because I would think from the preponderance of windows used in Korean buildings that glass here must be cheap/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: