Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking Bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radcon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who will be the first character killed off on Breaking Bad?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Jr.

I hate to say it, but Mike might get unexpectedly whacked for shock value.

Marie is another choice.
wintermute

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot I like about the show, but Jesse's character just doesn't do it for me. His language and behaviour seem forced. He is more like a caricature than a real person. Unfortunately most of the recent plot developments have hinged on his actions, so I have lost interest a bit, and don't really care what happens to them. I thought the most recent episode was a bit lame.

It didn't help that I had started watching "Damages". Now that is a good show.
radcon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
There's a lot I like about the show, but Jesse's character just doesn't do it for me. His language and behaviour seem forced. He is more like a caricature than a real person. Unfortunately most of the recent plot developments have hinged on his actions, so I have lost interest a bit, and don't really care what happens to them. I thought the most recent episode was a bit lame.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people just like Jesse in the US. I have known some. Meth is nasty.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:

I don't know how many young, white, middle class drug addicts you've known. Having known quite a few myself, I can testify that they'll often adopt the speech patterns and mannerisms that make Jesse appear to be a caricature, as often they are caricatures: spoiled kids playing tough. It would be out of character for his tough guy talk to come across as his natural manner of speech.
Skipperoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started watching this recently, was skeptical at first as the first half of the pilot episode was pretty dull - but now I'm completely hooked! Brilliant.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
wintermute wrote:

I don't know how many young, white, middle class drug addicts you've known. Having known quite a few myself, I can testify that they'll often adopt the speech patterns and mannerisms that make Jesse appear to be a caricature, as often they are caricatures: spoiled kids playing tough. It would be out of character for his tough guy talk to come across as his natural manner of speech.

Agreed. Jesse seems "authentic" to me..
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
northway wrote:
wintermute wrote:

+1. I've met probably 20 Jesses in my lifetime. Breaking Bad is kinda like Trailer Park Boys in that whenever I watch the show, people from real life I recognize are on it.
wintermute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
northway wrote:
wintermute wrote:

+1. I've met probably 20 Jesses in my lifetime. Breaking Bad is kinda like Trailer Park Boys in that whenever I watch the show, people from real life I recognize are on it.

Fair enough.

I just think the writers are relying too much on his flakiness to drive the plot forward in this season.

Is he really not going to understand how good a position they are in - state of the art lab, and under the wing of the most powerful distributor in the south west? Half a mil per month guaranteed? An equal partnership despite him bringing almost nothing to the deal? Is he not going to have even an inkling of how dangerous it is to mess with these guys, and just pull his head in for a few months?

Instead he goes from ice cold manipulator to unhinged vigilante, bites the hand that feeds him, and totally screws everything up.

Sure, meth addicts are unpredictable and self destructive - but it just feels to me like some cheap deus ex machina trick by the writers, but instead of a god fixing everthing up, they have a moron messing everything up to create drama that would otherwise be absent.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was really excited at the end of last season, and now I've lost interest somewhat.
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:

"Bright and sharp law school graduate Ellen Parsons becomes the prot�g�e of the successful and hard-hitting high stakes litigator Patricia Hewes. But nothing is what it seems."

sold! Smile...Lawyer shows always do it for me
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
Fair enough.

I just think the writers are relying too much on his flakiness to drive the plot forward in this season.

Sure, meth addicts are unpredictable and self destructive - but it just feels to me like some cheap deus ex machina trick by the writers, but instead of a god fixing everthing up, they have a moron messing everything up to create drama that would otherwise be absent.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was really excited at the end of last season, and now I've lost interest somewhat.

your expecting TOO much from the Show

the writers have done a fantastic job of capturing what all drug addicts are: unreliable, that's what Jesse is at the core and that can bring about drama

what i really disliked is the "Luck factor" i.e. Tuco, skinny Jesse somehow manages to overpower some dude who was portrayed as one big bad dude...one of Tuco's guys dying by Tuco and then the other guy dying by a random act of god (Tuco's two bodyguards who probably could have been a lot of help to him if they didn't die)

the way the show is going, there WILL be a faceoff between Walt & Jesse and don't forget, if Jesse were the only one who knew Walt's formula, he would get ALL of Walt's and his profits too...kinda tempting for a normal person let alone a meth addict
wintermute

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2i2dk1ny2i3 wrote:
wintermute wrote:
Fair enough.

your expecting TOO much from the Show

the writers have done a fantastic job of capturing what all drug addicts are: unreliable, that's what Jesse is at the core and that can bring about drama

Ok, I hear what you are saying about unpredictable junkie loose cannons - Jesse is a major character, so it's reasonable that he would provide the drama.

But in order to make what he did plausible, the writers really had to play up his dangerous unpredictability and sheer obnoxiousness, which works against the other plot event that their current predicament rest on, that Walt would risk it all and seriously jeopardize his family to save this junkie loser from his own comeuppance.

He doesn't need him, and sure, Walt sees him as his own junkie screw up son, but he essentially puts him before his own flesh and blood family. Why would he do that? Is Walt secretly gay for Jesse? I think it would be more consistent with what we have seen so far for Walt to harden his heart again, and let Jesse die to protect his own family.

I just don't buy it, so I find their whole current predicament a bit contrived, and so not very interesting.

I don't think I'm expecting too much from the writers, just trying to identify why I'm not enjoying this season as much as the previous ones.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CAST:

5 Killers
2 wives who cheat and steal
1 handicapped boy
1 smoking-in-the-womb infant
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
He doesn't need him, and sure, Walt sees him as his own junkie screw up son, but he essentially puts him before his own flesh and blood family. Why would he do that? Is Walt secretly gay for Jesse? I think it would be more consistent with what we have seen so far for Walt to harden his heart again, and let Jesse die to protect his own family.

Loyalty when Gus said that about Jesse, its fairly true...i mean there's been a lot of times where Walt needed Jesse, and vice versa when they were "coming up"

now, they don't have to take the same risks they did in the prior seasons and it looks like everything pointing to a bigger changes
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find that the show is too slow?

BB frequently has time wasting scenes. Off the top of my head, Walt and Skylar discussing their story to tell Hank and Marie. That scene was entirely way too long, so much filler. Plenty of other scenes that are similar. Honestly, they could make these 45 minute shows in a solid 35 minutes.

That's my only complaint about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20

Jump to: