Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EPIK renewal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKsimon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: EPIK renewal. Reply with quote

When you sign a renewal with EPIK, will you have any choice in staying at your school or does the POE have the final say?

I would like to stay on for a second year, but would not want to move schools.

Thanks.
oldfatfarang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your principal says whether you are staying (on your co-teachers' recommendations).

Re-signing with the same school is a tough decision.

Somethings to think about:
You may get a new principal/VP/co-teachers next year - and find that your school isn't much fun anymore (happens all the time).

You may find that your honeymoon is over - and that the kids have habituated to you - and they're harder to teach next year.

Also, if you stay at the same school - you may have to make another year's lesson plans - whereas if you transfer - you can just use this year's lessons.

However, if you transfer - you may be transferred into a nightmare new school/accommodation scenario.

Yep, re-signing - or transferring - it's a risky business.

Good luck.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resigning and staying at the same school is easy. I believe most of the people who renew end up at the same school. It's resigning and wanting to change schools that's a bit tricky. Letting your school know you want to keep working in public schools so long as it's not with them is a little awkward, I would imagine.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Resigning and staying at the same school is easy. I believe most of the people who renew end up at the same school. It's resigning and wanting to change schools that's a bit tricky. Letting your school know you want to keep working in public schools so long as it's not with them is a little awkward, I would imagine.

Not tricky at all. I've transferred twice and in both cases it went well without any hard feelings. Of course it helps that I worked in smaller cities and teachers totally understand if I want to go to a slightly larger city.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Fox wrote:

Not tricky at all. I've transferred twice and in both cases it went well without any hard feelings. Of course it helps that I worked in smaller cities and teachers totally understand if I want to go to a slightly larger city.

That's a good point. Enough Korean teachers want to move on from smaller cities to bigger ones that even a somewhat possessive co-teacher might be able to rationalize away any potential offense they felt. My co-teacher on the other hand wasn't very happy when my previous fellow foreign teacher opted not to stick around, which is what caused my initial over-generalization.
oldfatfarang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transferring is no big deal for K teachers - so it shouldn't be for GET's either. The K teachers at my school are so unhappy, that there's a limit (Cool on how many can transfer out per year.
JBomb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Busan K-teachers have to transfer every 5 years. They stay with in the same district but they hop around a lot. I did two years at the same school and am thinking about switching just for a change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: