Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get an E2 Visa with a petty conviction on my record?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swilson91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Can I get an E2 Visa with a petty conviction on my record? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Please can you help me - I have just been offered a job to teach in Gwangju, Korea but I am afraid to go through the lengthy visa procedure if by the end of it my visa is declined. Almost 5 years ago (December 2013) I got the only blemish on my background check and it's a petty one at that - "travelling on railway without paying fare". Apart from this ridiculous conviction, my record is clean.
Do you think that the immigration office or school would decline me the position/visa for such a petty incident? Could it be waivered by them? The school I have been working at this year here in Spain (I am from the UK) turned a blind eye to it when they found out about it, but from research I am aware Korea is stricter. Please, anyone, give me some advice and whether or not you have managed to get your visa accepted and are working in Korea with something similar on your record.

Many thanks,

Sam
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I get an E2 Visa with a petty conviction on my recor Reply with quote

swilson91 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Please can you help me - I have just been offered a job to teach in Gwangju, Korea but I am afraid to go through the lengthy visa procedure if by the end of it my visa is declined. Almost 5 years ago (December 2013) I got the only blemish on my background check and it's a petty one at that - "travelling on railway without paying fare". Apart from this ridiculous conviction, my record is clean.
Do you think that the immigration office or school would decline me the position/visa for such a petty incident? Could it be waivered by them? The school I have been working at this year here in Spain (I am from the UK) turned a blind eye to it when they found out about it, but from research I am aware Korea is stricter. Please, anyone, give me some advice and whether or not you have managed to get your visa accepted and are working in Korea with something similar on your record.

Many thanks,

Sam

You can try to have it expunged from your record. But I would have done that well before getting offered a job. But, check and see how long it takes.
swilson91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to get it expunged in the UK. I have to wait 11 years, so six more years in total before it can be wiped off my record.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swilson91 wrote:
Impossible to get it expunged in the UK. I have to wait 11 years, so six more years in total before it can be wiped off my record.

I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. Maybe SE Asia...
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most countries in East Asia now require a clear police check as part of the visa application process for teachers. This includes Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Cambodia and Myanmar are the 2 exceptions to the rule.

S3raph1m

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be fine. I got into Korea with a misdemeanor assault charge on my record and have an E-2 visa. Although the assault charge was from when I was 14 years old and it’s been over 10 years. Not sure if Korea is more lenient if you were a minor when you were charged, but it was on my record when I appliedz
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're SOL I'm afraid... the Korean government has been cracking down lately on Hobos who ride freight trains for free. There's a zero tolerance policy now.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get a criminal record for travelling on a train for free?

You just tell the guard you lost your ticket and pay the fine don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: