Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student took my phone number from my phone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyblue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what's the big deal? Just wait till she's eighteen.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's a different culture and they're not as strict as in our home countries. However, on the other side of the coin we're being made to jump through hoops when trying to get our E2 visas because some teacher touched some student inappropriately.

"Sure take the kids home with you. Give them your number. Let them sit on your lap."

"Pee in the cup, give us your blood, get a criminal check in triplicate with some weird stamp on it that even we don't know the meaning of, bring us originals of every degree or certificate you've ever received every time you want a new visa."

Either we're all paedophiles that need to be scrutinised within an inch of our lives or we have close personal contact with the students who are often pushed onto us by family or other teachers. But they can't have it both ways.

I too never gave out my number to students, but the admin staff was handing out my personal info left and right. I was upset but like the other posters realised it wasn't so bad and sometimes necessary in certain instances. I got over it.

However, I can understand how the OP would and should be cautious. Isn't it better to be extra cautious rather than to get caught up in something that could have been avoided. It's easy for students (yes especially girls) to misconstrue things or develop a crush, and it snowballs from there.

Sure it rarely happens but why give the OP a hard time about just trying to keep his nose clean. I wouldn't change my number but calls can be easily ignored.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpiocandy wrote:
Sure, it's a different culture and they're not as strict as in our home countries. However, on the other side of the coin we're being made to jump through hoops when trying to get our E2 visas because some teacher touched some student inappropriately.

"Sure take the kids home with you. Give them your number. Let them sit on your lap."

"Pee in the cup, give us your blood, get a criminal check in triplicate with some weird stamp on it that even we don't know the meaning of, bring us originals of every degree or certificate you've ever received every time you want a new visa."

Either we're all paedophiles that need to be scrutinised within an inch of our lives or we have close personal contact with the students who are often pushed onto us by family or other teachers. But they can't have it both ways.

Playing devil's advocate, perhaps they do all the second paragraph things because they expect to be able to trust us to do all the first paragraph stuff once we get here.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP you are right to be concerned about students having your phone number. Sure this is Korea and its pretty normal for this to happen...but times are changing folks!

Changing your number might not be necessary but you should at least tell your administrator/handler about it. Also, ask your co-teacher to have a one minute discussion before class starts with each class and tell her you want to tell the kids it is inappropriate to call you. If they have questions, visit you between classes, at lunch or during your office hours where you are more than happy to free talk and discuss questions/homework with them.

You will have CedYA and made it clear that you don't want your students calling you. Problem solved.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too hard to resolve this issue, just ignore any unsolicited texts or phone numbers. Unless someone spam bombs you it's that simple.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morticae wrote:
northway wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:
OP you are WAY too paranoid. Seriously. There is no witch hunt in Korea like there is in the West against people who communicate with students outside school.

Seriously. Remember that this is a place where it's tacitly encouraged to have your entire kinder class sitting in your lap at any given time. They're not going to worry about some girl having your number.

Day 1 of my middle school:
Head Co-Teacher: "Some students want to see where you live. Please take them home with you after school today."

Things are a bit different here, definitely cultural.

Been there! My first or second year in Korea there was a girl who would follow the foreign teachers home to see where they lived. It was all innocent etc...but I remember when the other staff told me it would happen cause she was weird in wanting to know where all the foreign teachers lived.

Once I stopped being Mr. Nice Guy and grew a pair, that type of stuff stopped over the course of my career. My personal life is just that, personal. Funny enough, parents always knew where I lived. I once had a parent come to my house and ask me to privately tutor her child..I had to politely decline that offer due to conflicts of interest.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always made sure to not give my number and address to my students. If they ask where I lived, I just pointed in the vicinity of my apartment and said "Over there".

But Korea is totally different with teacher/student relations. My Korean co-workers did everything they could to stay away from their students. They couldn't stand them. But it's different for foreigners I guess.

Some students wanted my e-mail address. So, I gave that to them. No big deal there since they wouldn't be harassing me or anything.

The only time I had substantial contact with my students outside of school beyond saying hello to them and asking some questions was when one of my students (who lived in the same apartment building) was thrown out by her parents for the night. It was the dead of winter and it was freezing out. A few minutes after she was thrown out, it started raining lightly outside. She had no coat and was just wearing short sleeves. So, I got her some tea to keep her warm and lent her my coat. However, she was still very cold. I told her to ask her parents to let her in, but they refused. Since she had no place to sleep, I laid out a mat on her floor with some spare blankets and offered a place to stay for the night. She stayed, woke up around the same time as me and left.

I'm not sure I would have done that if it wasn't the last day of my contract because of the fear of getting too close to my students. But it felt like the right thing to do to help a student in an abusive family.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisXX wrote:
Yeah, I always made sure to not give my number and address to my students. If they ask where I lived, I just pointed in the vicinity of my apartment and said "Over there".

But Korea is totally different with teacher/student relations. My Korean co-workers did everything they could to stay away from their students. They couldn't stand them. But it's different for foreigners I guess.

Some students wanted my e-mail address. So, I gave that to them. No big deal there since they wouldn't be harassing me or anything.

The only time I had substantial contact with my students outside of school beyond saying hello to them and asking some questions was when one of my students (who lived in the same apartment building) was thrown out by her parents for the night. It was the dead of winter and it was freezing out. A few minutes after she was thrown out, it started raining lightly outside. She had no coat and was just wearing short sleeves. So, I got her some tea to keep her warm and lent her my coat. However, she was still very cold. I told her to ask her parents to let her in, but they refused. Since she had no place to sleep, I laid out a mat on her floor with some spare blankets and offered a place to stay for the night. She stayed, woke up around the same time as me and left.

I'm not sure I would have done that if it wasn't the last day of my contract because of the fear of getting too close to my students. But it felt like the right thing to do to help a student in an abusive family.

I'd have taken her to the nearest yogwan and given her enough money to stay there a couple of days and for food.

As for the student above hopefully it was a one off thing and things worked out for her.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
DosEquisXX wrote:

I'd have taken her to the nearest yogwan and given her enough money to stay there a couple of days and for food.

As for the student above hopefully it was a one off thing and things worked out for her.

Heh, I didn't even know what a yogwan was until now. Wish I did back then.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisXX wrote:

Something like that would get me fired and de-certified in Canada. That could be a reason I am not in Canada anymore, too much zeal to go after teachers. No one can do a good deed anymore.

I would be willing to bet that girl will never forget your generosity and the help you gave her. That is what decent human beings do, not just teachers.
gillod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: f Reply with quote

My little kids took my nunber once and entered theirs into my phone, but they never caled. Weird dudes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: