Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Cellphones now allowed without testing and fees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4yunkim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six wrote:
I have a question about bringing a 3G iPad back to Korea. I can get it whitelisted and functional here, but if I already have an existing unlimited data plan through my Galaxy S, can I get the iPad on that data plan or do I have to buy a separate data plan just for it?

If you are on KT, you can get a 3,000 won/month service added to your account called "Data Sharing". You will be able to have a 2nd USIM card for data only, and the data usage will be subtracted from the line you add the service too. So if you have unlimited data on your current cell phone, you can just pay 3,000 extra per month to have a USIM in your iPad. No need for tethering. ^^

Chris Kim
Manager, Expat Marketing Team
Korea Telecom
s4yunkim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, as much as I try to browse the forums whenever I can, questions like this can be answered MUCH more quickly and accurately by calling our foreign language customer service center: 1583 (toll free from a KT mobile phone) or (02) 2190-1180 from any landline.

There's also our twitter, if for some reason you cant get it sorted out through the CS center: @olleh_expats

^^

Chris Kim
Korea Telecom
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4yunkim wrote:
six wrote:
I have a question about bringing a 3G iPad back to Korea. I can get it whitelisted and functional here, but if I already have an existing unlimited data plan through my Galaxy S, can I get the iPad on that data plan or do I have to buy a separate data plan just for it?

If you are on KT, you can get a 3,000 won/month service added to your account called "Data Sharing". You will be able to have a 2nd USIM card for data only, and the data usage will be subtracted from the line you add the service too. So if you have unlimited data on your current cell phone, you can just pay 3,000 extra per month to have a USIM in your iPad. No need for tethering. ^^

Chris Kim
Korea Telecom

Thanks for the info. Is there a note in Korean on KT's website that I can print out and show to my local SHOW store?
s4yunkim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
s4yunkim wrote:
six wrote:

Chris Kim
Korea Telecom

Thanks for the info. Is there a note in Korean on KT's website that I can print out and show to my local SHOW store?

Yep,
I'm still working on an English version for the Expat Blog, but here is the full Korean version that you can point to. Until I have the English page up, make sure to have a Korean speaker explain everything on the page to you so you know what you're getting into (although there really isn't much to it aside from what I've written above).

Hope that helps!

Chris Kim
Korea Telecom
Niku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody personally used foreign phones on the KT network using the new free registration process? Thinking about buying a nice phone in Canada before I leave for SK but want to verify people are able to use their external phones. (if you havn't used a foreign phone your self please don't reply to this)
freddy teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately my foreign blackberry that i registered with SK Telecom got stolen today. i heard that since i registered a phone, i will have to pay about 300,000w if i wanted to register another one...is this correct?
gqsupersport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freddy teacher wrote:
unfortunately my foreign blackberry that i registered with SK Telecom got stolen today. i heard that since i registered a phone, i will have to pay about 300,000w if i wanted to register another one...is this correct?

Unfortunately this is correct. However for that much you could just buy a domestic berry which isn't different in any way once you've installed your preferred region OS.
freddy teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gqsupersport wrote:
freddy teacher wrote:

Unfortunately this is correct. However for that much you could just buy a domestic berry which isn't different in any way once you've installed your preferred region OS.

i was hoping this wasnt the case. is there any way to have a friend register it in their name, then just sell it to me?
gqsupersport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freddy teacher wrote:
gqsupersport wrote:
freddy teacher wrote:

i was hoping this wasnt the case. is there any way to have a friend register it in their name, then just sell it to me?

When they register it under their name the account it's used on will have to be under their name as well.
Niku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was stolen... if the person that steals it uses it... couldn't it be easily traced and them caught if it's registered? Isn't that the whole purpose of whitelisting EMEI numbers? Police report maybe?
stansfu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: help with registering foreign phone to SK Telecom Reply with quote

freddy teacher wrote:

Hi,

I bought a HTC Panache from Canada. It did get register with KCC for approval to be used in S. Korea. Then i took it to the local SKT store in a small town, the staff had no idea what to do with it.
May i ask which store did you take your blackberry to have it registered with SKT? or Can i even do this online with SKT??
Thanks
pkang0202

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4yunkim wrote:
six wrote:

Chris Kim
Korea Telecom

THAT IS AWESOME. I wish I had gotten a 3G Ipad 2...
freddy teacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: help with registering foreign phone to SK Telecom Reply with quote

stansfu wrote:
freddy teacher wrote:

Hi,

I bought a HTC Panache from Canada. It did get register with KCC for approval to be used in S. Korea. Then i took it to the local SKT store in a small town, the staff had no idea what to do with it.
May i ask which store did you take your blackberry to have it registered with SKT? or Can i even do this online with SKT??
Thanks

you cant take it to a store, you have to take it a service center. dont talk to the people in the store, they are useless. well, the people in customer service are useless as well, but they are less useless.
Elbow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the OllehKT website it says that phone have to be unlocked by the carrier from whom they were purchased.

does anyone have any experience to the contrary?
freddy teacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is unlocked, that's all that matters. My blackberry wasn't unlocked by my provider, it was done by a 3rd party and everything went ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: