Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Teacher (31) Commits Suicide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally oppose articles about suicides on principle. I don't want a bunch of attention given to people who choose to do that. All that should be written is Man, age X, committed suicide (when) at (general vicinity).

No mention of method or motives or identity. No attention, no story to tell, none of that.

I will say that plenty of us seem to enjoy using the same fails of logic and standards as the abysmal article, and even though we're not journalists, its pretty hard to claim some sort of high and mighty/victim status.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Expat mental health Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

In light of what apparently happened, I have been thinking about doing a piece on mental health services for expats here for the Korea Herald. I was hoping to speak with someone who has experience of the services here and hear what their experience was/is. Of course, it would be anonymously done if the person so wishes.

If anyone has personal experience, or knows of anyone who may wish to talk and wishes to ask them, please get in contact.

Thanks
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was simply a tragedy.

If people would like to express their condolences fine. Otherwise people, Korean or foreign should keep their opinions about these terrible events to themselves.

Let a tragedy be just that. A tragedy.

RIP
caniff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Expat mental health Reply with quote

JFP2020 wrote:
In light of what apparently happened, I have been thinking about doing a piece on mental health services for expats here for the Korea Herald.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but in all honesty I think broadcasting the dire need for increased expat mental health resources in a Korean nation-wide publication (sucky as it may be) is a very...umm.....let's just say it's a terrible idea.

Sorry.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Expat mental health Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
JFP2020 wrote:
In light of what apparently happened, I have been thinking about doing a piece on mental health services for expats here for the Korea Herald.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but in all honesty I think broadcasting the dire need for increased expat mental health resources in a Korean nation-wide publication (sucky as it may be) is a very...umm.....let's just say it's a terrible idea.

Sorry.

I would tend to agree.

Plus, not to sound cold or anything, but if you're an expat with serious mental health issues, the best resource you could probably be given is a plane ticket home.

I personally haven't consulted a psychologist since middle school, about thirty years ago. But it seems to me that psychological counselling requires certain "connections" being made between the doctor and the patient, connections which are going to be dependant on shared culture and labguage. And I'm a bit doubtful that there are too many Korean psychologists who are gonna have the background to really understand where a typical expat is "coming from".
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Expat mental health Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
caniff wrote:
JFP2020 wrote:

Sorry.

I would tend to agree.

Plus, not to sound cold or anything, but if you're an expat with serious mental health issues, the best resource you could probably be given is a plane ticket home.

I personally haven't consulted a psychologist since middle school, about thirty years ago. But it seems to me that psychological counselling requires certain "connections" being made between the doctor and the patient, connections which are going to be dependant on shared culture and labguage. And I'm a bit doubtful that there are too many Korean psychologists who are gonna have the background to really understand where a typical expat is "coming from".

Which is why the guy was looking for info on services that would be helpful for expats, not your standard Korean psychologist.

Check this link:

http://www.korea4expats.com/Counselling,+Coaching,+EAP,+Therapy,+etc.+-service.html
caniff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Westerner and you sincerely need mental counseling then wouldn't you figure that Korea is probably not the best place for you?

I'm not claiming to be the most sane person on the planet but this should be obvious.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know if being away from your home country increases or decreases the risk of suicide. I could probably think of a few reasons why not being in your home country might be very helpful. (Being in a toxic relationship back home, having a job here as to being unemployed back home, etc...)

There are services here in Korea. I hope those that might need them take advantage of it. Suicide is never the right answer.
caniff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrwhite82 wrote:
I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know if being away from your home country increases or decreases the risk of suicide.

You're jumping all over the place here (are you okay?). I don't know about increased risk of suicide, but it seems a no-brainer that if you have something to get off your chest you might want to talk to someone that can understand what the hell you're talking about.

edit: Listen, I have no ax to grind here (even though the Earth has clearly failed in its obligation to give me a warm fuzzy area at all times). If people are messed up (even just a little?) they should go to where they can get better. That's all I'm saying.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
jrwhite82 wrote:
I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know if being away from your home country increases or decreases the risk of suicide.

You're jumping all over the place here (are you okay?). I don't know about increased risk of suicide, but it seems a no-brainer that if you have something to get off your chest you might want to talk to someone that can understand what the hell you're talking about.

edit: Listen, I have no ax to grind here (even though the Earth has clearly failed in its obligation to give me a warm fuzzy area at all times). If people are messed up (even just a little?) they should go to where they can get better. That's all I'm saying.

Where am I "jumping all over the place"? I'm saying the same thing as you. Go where you can get help. The link I provided has places people can go for help....immediately....in English....by doctors trained in the West.

I wasn't even speaking to you to begin with. I was quoting the guy that said the best answer was a plane ticket home. Which, in fact, might make things worse for some people. I know a lot of people that have come here to escape problems back home, so running back to their home country could make it a lot worse. So yeah, put the axe away. Rolling Eyes
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Expat mental health Reply with quote

jrwhite82 wrote:
On the other hand wrote:
caniff wrote:
JFP2020 wrote:

Sorry.

I would tend to agree.

Which is why the guy was looking for info on services that would be helpful for expats, not your standard Korean psychologist.

Check this link:

http://www.korea4expats.com/Counselling,+Coaching,+EAP,+Therapy,+etc.+-service.html

And I commend the people who are offering these services. But let's face it. We are not likely to see much increase in the number of practitioners providing psychological counselling in an English speaking environment. So, it's highly debatable what is going to be accomplished by publicizing expat mental-health issues in the Korean media. Apart from conjoining the words "mental problems" and "foreigners" in a lot of Koreans' minds.

Oh, and as I recall, one of the immigration forms asks if you've ever been treated for mental-health problems. I don't think the Korean government is asking this because they wanna kinow how many English speaking shrinks to hire. I think they're asking it because they don't want people with psychological problems coming here.

Quote:
I wasn't even speaking to you to begin with. I was quoting the guy that said the best answer was a plane ticket home. Which, in fact, might make things worse for some people. I know a lot of people that have come here to escape problems back home, so running back to their home country could make it a lot worse

Yes, but if the problems back home were such that would compel you to see a psychologist, then you should probably have relocated to a country where psychological treatment in your own language, and from a practitioner who can relate to your cultural background, will be readily avaibable. I'm just not sure if Korea is really that place.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While suicide is tragic, it remains a person's choice right?

Can it be prevented? Yes it can but in order for that to happen the person needs to make the decision to seek help.

At some point, you can provide all the hotlines you want, if a person has gone far enough down the line in their own mind, no amount of available help will change the course they have chosen.

It is very sad what happened to the person who killed himself in Busan but from the description of the events, I do not think he would have called that hotline had it existed. If he wanted help, perhaps he could have called a friend or family back home even if he was estranged from his family, surely there was someone left back there.

My sympathies extend to his friends and family.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying either that Korea is this amazing refuge of professional help either. I agree with you. But, there are services available if you need them. And I hope that if someone needs them, they make the choice to get help instead of choosing a different harmful option.
Lost500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

As someone pointed out, this guy would clearly not have reached out for help. If, & I wonder about the validity of any thing reported, he had alcohol issues then clearly he was not thinking logically. Alcohol is the number 1 contributor in suicides.

It a depressant, yet a relaese that is often a comfort for teachers here. It is also a huge part of Korean life as a whole. I often see Koreans smashed on soju at 10am on my way to work.

I feel awful for this guy but I think the soju killed off all reasoning & he would not have gotten help. I can see no benefit in making help lines or anything, could draw more attention to us. I believe once your mind is set on it, a few bottles of soju will be enough to make you jump.

I will also say & realise that I will face backlash is that there seems to be paranoia amongst us about the press & treatment as a whole. If its such an issue for oneself, go home!

I do believe if a Korean did this in England, possibly Canada or anywhere else. It would be stated he was drunk & took his pants off 7 ofcourse they would mention his ethnicity & job. It is rather messed up to remove ones pants, but I do not know - not in that mind set.

Furthermore to go to the airport & demand to be flown home with no ticket is ummm illogical! I hope one day we see an article in an American newspaper, possibly a family statement. I feel he was beyond intoxicated but we will never know.

Anyway, rest in peace MR X. My condolences to your family, friends & all those you affected. Amazing how your act has stemmed huge debate here, none of which will change anything but it will cause false panic & true sorrow.
KeepingItReal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but are they sure it was suicide? Did he leave a note? What would be the purpose of taking off one's pants before jumping...? Strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: