Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Teacher (31) Commits Suicide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goniff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think there would need to be a formal inquest before the cause of death was officially determined in any case like this

but about "suicide"

i prefer the english description of the cause of death in these situations which is:

"he/she took their own life while the balance of their mind was disturbed"
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeepingItReal wrote:
Sorry, but are they sure it was suicide? Did he leave a note? What would be the purpose of taking off one's pants before jumping...? Strange.

When you read the story, you notice that this poor soul was in a bad mental state. He was clearly on a drinking binge that seems to have lasted a while.

So he may have jumped or he may have fallen down. The pants thing could have happened before he jumped as he was hammered.

Poor man.
TECO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what has been written so far about this unfortunate young man, it sounds similar to what happened Shawner88. Booze, depression and being thousands of miles away from home where family and friends are can be a very powerful mix.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:
Based on what has been written so far about this unfortunate young man, it sounds similar to what happened Shawner88. Booze, depression and being thousands of miles away from home where family and friends are can be a very powerful mix.

The similarities are indeed striking.

Add to the fact that Shawner was hounded by people online in the months prior to his death and his situation must have been pretty dark indeed!
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this the article that JFP2020 was talking about writing on the last page?

It's a well-written article. But I'm gonna stand by my earlier view that a lot of mental-health issues would be best addressed by returning home.

Quote:
For people with addictions, there may be an emergency situation, or they may need detox treatment to minimize symptoms of withdrawal.

Seriously. If your substance abuse issues are to the point where you require detox treatment, you really shouldn't have left your homeland in the first place.
ESL Milk "Everyday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is probably one of the worst places you could possibly go if you're a not-so-recovered alcoholic/addict.

But the newspaper story that makes it all about 'keeping hagwons safe' is one of the most tasteless things I have ever read-- and at the same time, not a bit surprising. It pretty much exemplifies everything that has ever made me hate this country and the people in it (I'm currently love-hate)... and the worst part is that it's not completely unexpected either.

Maybe one of the reasons that foreigners do things like this is that Koreans seem to show no concern over showing just how little non-Koreans mean to them, and how Korean lives are infinitely more important to them than non-Korean lives, which are basically on the same level as their children losing a goldfish... a scary goldfish.

So yeah, I have to agree-- if you're THAT depressed and that isolated and you think you can't take it anymore, GO HOME... or reach out to non-Koreans somehow-- but to be honest, some of the expats can be super-cold as well-- if you're the 'odd one out' or 'that creepy guy' (which really isn't so unlikely if you're awkward or over 35), then definitely see if you can move on or get out or just somehow find someone who will listen to you... go somewhere where the people are more likely to talk to you.
ZIFA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL Milk "Everyday wrote:
Maybe one of the reasons that foreigners do things like this is that Koreans seem to show no concern over showing just how little non-Koreans mean to them, and how Korean lives are infinitely more important to them than non-Korean lives,

Some Koreans lost their compassion because the perception is they were being used as a dumping ground for unemployable western misfits.

This is not a flattering feeling for any country.

Koreas expat community is not that bad though. If you think otherwise, go spend some time in Bangkok or Phnom Penh.
desertdust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add my little bit by saying that 'soju' can be fun to drink in appropiate portions (not to much). However, even for the majority of us who are mentally stable. Drinking it in large portions can be quite de-stabilising in the moment. One does strange things and everything in the world becomes wishy washy, blurry and not really...well...real. The hangover the next day is just so much worse compared to a 'too much beer' hangover and I am speaking from personal experience.

The point is anyone who is prone to depression or suicidal thoughts may be pushed over the brink when drinking soju or any alcohol when here; especially in large quantities.
ESL Milk "Everyday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZIFA wrote:
Koreas expat community is not that bad though. If you think otherwise, go spend some time in Bangkok or Phnom Penh.

So it's not that bad compared to the worst expat community in the world.
Hmmmm...

You're right though... I don't think it's completely irredeemably awful, but it could be a lot better. It's more like people in general are a lot colder and more easily creeped out than they were 15 years ago... I blame the Internet.
Lost500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeepingItReal wrote:
Sorry, but are they sure it was suicide? Did he leave a note? What would be the purpose of taking off one's pants before jumping...? Strange.

Aero dynamics, I calculate it would have been a freefall of 1.11003 seconds. Considering wind & that he did not, I presume, perform a perfect dive.

Given the coefficient of drag of underpants to be 0.0000325, he would have been alive for 0.00000023 seconds.

He wanted out, clearly planned & researched well.

His shirt was on? Answer is obvious, its cold! Erect nipples look awful on any drunk.

Hope this answers your questions.

Phenom Penh expat community is the worst? I presume you have tried all communities. Cambodia was fine but theres not much of a community, more a bunch of *beep* ups who think they are amazing due to living in Cambodia.

In Korea, there is a common trait of being miserable or annoyed. I would take Cambo anytime but the heat is a killer. Korea has absolutely nothing & I eagerly await the day I have saved enough won to leave for good.
TECO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertdust wrote:
I'll just add my little bit by saying that 'soju' can be fun to drink in appropiate portions (not to much). However, even for the majority of us who are mentally stable. Drinking it in large portions can be quite de-stabilising in the moment. One does strange things and everything in the world becomes wishy washy, blurry and not really...well...real. The hangover the next day is just so much worse compared to a 'too much beer' hangover and I am speaking from personal experience.

The point is anyone who is prone to depression or suicidal thoughts may be pushed over the brink when drinking soju or any alcohol when here; especially in large quantities.

Good point. Beer buzzes come on nice and even but be careful with the hard liquor. It can really mess with your brain in the following days if one imbibes too much.
Menino80

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZIFA wrote:

Some Koreans lost their compassion because the perception is they were being used as a dumping ground for unemployable western misfits.

What information do you have to support this claim?

Also, what information do you have that would support the position that were it to be the case, a loss of compassion over a suicide is an acceptable ethical response?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: