Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the job prospects for a career in journalism?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C00LAS1CE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: What are the job prospects for a career in journalism? Reply with quote

I'm considering moving to NYC next year to start a career in journalism. I have no idea what the job field looks like for this career path, or what is required to be successful in it. I would imagine this is a difficult career to break into but really have no idea, which is why I'm posting this thread. Basically my long-term goal would be to end up being a foreign correspondent, being shipped off to wherever in the world something is going on, like Anderson Cooper or Richard Engel, as unrealistic as that sounds. Where is a good place to start?

Background: 24 years old. Currently working as an ESL teacher in Korea, will have 1.5 years experience when I leave to go back to the US in December. BA in political science/minor in history from a relatively prestigious university in CA. Did internships for a Congresswoman as well as the Governor when I was in college (graduated 2009). Prior to that mostly sales experience.
kenglish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know anything about the subject but if it's anything like the movie devil wears prada, it probably involves you getting hired at a fashion magazine, working your way up to become the boss's pet, then subsequently resign only to receive a kick ass letter of recommendation at your next gig. in fact i'm sure that's how it exactly works out.
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about writing for 'Groove' in the interim?
Some of the Mothers Said

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be a Foreign Correspondent, learn the languages of where you'd like to work. You should familiarize yourself with ALL platforms of communication, and apply for internships. I have a feeling your in for a lot of hard work and competition, but stick with it, you never know where your going to head up. Good luck.
rumdiary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very hard field to get into. My girlfriend got a journalism degree from U.C.I and has worked under two Pulitzer Prize winning writers. Don't expect to make much (if any) money for the first few years.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty hard. I had to start as an administrative assistant and wait for an opening at my magazine. Then I was promoted a bunch of times. Still, the printed word job market is undergoing a rewrite, as things change to electronic format. It is possible, but the pay isn't very good, and you'd likely need a second (or third) job to pay the rent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: