Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishconor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

As above, same question!

I'm thinking about going to korea to teach but what exactly happens if I wish to leave after say 6 months into a 12 month contract.
Do I have to pay for my flight home?
BStaff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishconor wrote:
Hey guys,

As above, same question!

I'm thinking about going to korea to teach but what exactly happens if I wish to leave after say 6 months into a 12 month contract.
Do I have to pay for my flight home?

Yes. Your contract will be structured so that you only receive your flight home if you complete the contract.

I took a job in Incheon and started about 3 weeks ago, and I'm really regretting my immediate area. I live in Wondang which is essentially a farming community and it's really boring. It's costly to go into Seoul everyday for jiu jitsu classes and if I want to go out to Hongdae I either have to leave by midnight to get the bus home or stay out until 6 am when the buses start again.

My pay at this hagwon has been delayed as the owner has had to pay employees at another business of his using our money. We're supposed to be paid tomorrow but I don't have a bank account yet because my passport is at Immigration for my alien registration card. They also still have my diploma too from when I sent it here about 2 months ago.

For those reasons I want to get a new job in a better location. I know a lot more about what I want out of this place now that I've been here and learned about the areas, the transport, which student age I like best. If I could get the money that I am owed and leave for Seoul tomorrow morning I would do it.

But I have a bunch of questions concerning getting a new job after breaking a contract. From skimming this thread I saw the mention of a release letter. What is that and is it necessary? Also, what happens with my visa? Do I have to leave the country and get the new school to sort it out?

I also feel a little bad about leaving my coworkers too, especially when the school is having the problems it's having at the moment. I realize I should look out for myself first, but I don't see it as fair to just drop them after they pay my airfare over here, the recruiter fee, etc.

Anyway, knowing about the process is my main concern right now. Can someone tell me how to go about this?
Carla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStaff wrote:

Yes. Your contract will be structured so that you only receive your flight home if you complete the contract.

I took a job in Incheon and started about 3 weeks ago, and I'm really regretting my immediate area. I live in Wondang which is essentially a farming community and it's really boring. It's costly to go into Seoul everyday for jiu jitsu classes and if I want to go out to Hongdae I either have to leave by midnight to get the bus home or stay out until 6 am when the buses start again.

My pay at this hagwon has been delayed as the owner has had to pay employees at another business of his using our money. We're supposed to be paid tomorrow but I don't have a bank account yet because my passport is at Immigration for my alien registration card. They also still have my diploma too from when I sent it here about 2 months ago.

For those reasons I want to get a new job in a better location. I know a lot more about what I want out of this place now that I've been here and learned about the areas, the transport, which student age I like best. If I could get the money that I am owed and leave for Seoul tomorrow morning I would do it.

But I have a bunch of questions concerning getting a new job after breaking a contract. From skimming this thread I saw the mention of a release letter. What is that and is it necessary? Also, what happens with my visa? Do I have to leave the country and get the new school to sort it out?

I also feel a little bad about leaving my coworkers too, especially when the school is having the problems it's having at the moment. I realize I should look out for myself first, but I don't see it as fair to just drop them after they pay my airfare over here, the recruiter fee, etc.

Anyway, knowing about the process is my main concern right now. Can someone tell me how to go about this?

Wow, sorry about your situation, but for now you're kinda screwed.

Letter of Release is something you get if you want to quit before the end of your contract. It basically says your are off the hook for the remainder of your contract. You need this to transfer your visa to a new school. If your boss wouldn't give you this, then you would have to wait until your visa expired at the end of the year.

But here is your problem. Assumming that your school would be nice enough to let you out of your contract AND give you a LOR, immigration has a new rule that says you cannot get out of your 1st visa unless it is at least 9 months old. If you stayed at your current place and started a new contract, the second time at the same school you would only have to work 3 months before you could transfer your visa.

So, you really are stuck for the first 9 months.
BStaff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blerg,

Oh well maybe this experience will build character.

Edit: The school may be in financial trouble since it lost a bunch of students sometime before I came. I've heard that it may be operating at a loss right now. If the school were to shut down would I still have to wait 9 months for a new visa?
KuroBara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help me. I have decided I need to leave. I am ashamed enough, please don't add to it. I know I am a failure. I have been here just over six months and work at a Public School. I want to know how to deal with my cell phone and cable services. I will pay my utilities before I leave, and the cell and cable bill for the month I leave, but what happens after that?

Also, when should I transfer my money from my KB account to my KEB account? I don't want to close the KEB account, because I have not ruled out coming back to Korea, just under a different job.

Honestly, I want to ride my contract out, I really do, but I'm tired of crying almost everyday. I know I am meant for ESL, I've spent too much time and money on this subject and I love what I learned. I like what I observed in America. I know I can teach, but not elementary children, maybe not in Korea. I never wanted elementary children, but like an idiot, on the GEPIK app I said "Will teach any grade!!" to make myself seem more employable. I like most of my students most of the time, but they don't respect me and probably think I'm mean (I try not to be, but I yell out of frustration. My class room management techniques were geared to secondary students and adults), and I just don't trust my co-workers. They either ignore me (which is preferable), want to be my second mother and are too pushy (VP), or hot and cold at the drop of a hat (my co-teacher). It sucks because the school seemed like it would be fine, but it's just not for me. I would honestly recommend it to anyone else who like elementary children. I have no friends here, am shy and ugly, so I'm not going to make friends, and no family, and a lot of things have happened at home and I feel like an outsider to my own family.

Despite that, I still hope another job at a high school or in Japan comes through. I don't want to go home this soon. Everyone will know I failed, and I can't deal with that.

I know many people will say I am whining. I'm not debating that, but I'm at my end. I want to give proper notice, but am afraid of being stiffed on pay. I don't want anything except my last month's pay. I don't want to leave bills for the next person.

Can someone alos recommend the best way to ship things home? Thanks for any help.
cutiepie354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not give notice! If its bad enough that you want to leave they will probably screw you over in the end. We did them a favor and gave notice and we didn't get made...until we went to the labour board and settled with us 4 months later.
macattack123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a school right now where i don't pay health insurance, i don't pay pension and i pay 3.8% tax. Two teachers have just been sacked and one other teacher who has been at the school 4 months needs an operation and the school refuses to pay. The director just emailed her recruiter to tell him the school will never pay. This is because nobody is covered by health insurance, which is illegal.

I would like to tell them to shove their contract up their butts but i don't know how to go about anything.

*Ive been at the school 5 months.
*I would like to give 2 months notice as my boss is okay, just the main director whos an idiot. So i'll of been at the school 7 months including notice.
*I am on really good terms with most of the staff and I'm pretty sure they would sign my letter of release. If they didnt they could be in for some problems.
*Can i get another job and just do a japan visa run or what?

HELP!!!!!!!!
Carla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macattack123 wrote:

*Ive been at the school 5 months.
*I would like to give 2 months notice as my boss is okay, just the main director whos an idiot. So i'll of been at the school 7 months including notice.
*I am on really good terms with most of the staff and I'm pretty sure they would sign my letter of release. If they didnt they could be in for some problems.
*Can i get another job and just do a japan visa run or what?

HELP!!!!!!!!

You're school has already proven they can't be trusted. So, if you give you're two weeks notice, I'm willing to bet a lot of money they will fire you immediately and keep your plane ticket out of your last pay (assuming you get that).

You're safest bet is to work the next month, and then give your notice.

Oh, and you're not free and clear. If your next school actually follows the law and signs you up for insurances, etc, then you will be forced to pay back fees from the time you entered Korea on your first work visa.

Good luck.
macattack123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everything so complicated eh? Shocked

So if i managed to get out of my contract and got my letter of release, could i safely go to another school?? I read something about having to work at your school 9 months before you can undertake a new contract with another school? Is this right?

I wondered if I'd have to pay back what i should of been paying so far. To be fair, i dont care. As long as i get health insurance i'm find with that.

It's a really crud situation. My actual day to day work is okay, not GREAT, but managable. It's just all the backstabbing, firing, lack of decency....

Urgh!!!

So if i quit, they signed my letter of release and i got told to bugger off in like 2 weeks. Could i go into another job if i did a japan visa run?

I just dont know all the details??????

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
Carla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macattack123 wrote:
Why is everything so complicated eh? Shocked

So if i managed to get out of my contract and got my letter of release, could i safely go to another school?? I read something about having to work at your school 9 months before you can undertake a new contract with another school? Is this right?

Yes, 9 months to transfer your visa, if your old school agrees. Forget about it. That's not going to happen. You will just need to get a new contract and a new visa. Basically, the same way if you finished your contract. There are people who can help you more on these boards about that.

macattack123 wrote:
I wondered if I'd have to pay back what i should of been paying so far. To be fair, i dont care. As long as i get health insurance i'm find with that.

It's a really crud situation. My actual day to day work is okay, not GREAT, but managable. It's just all the backstabbing, firing, lack of decency....

Urgh!!!

So if i quit, they signed my letter of release and i got told to bugger off in like 2 weeks. Could i go into another job if i did a japan visa run?

I just dont know all the details??????

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

If you quit, yes, you can get another job with a visa run to Japan, as long as you have all your paper work.
macattack123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKYOU!!!!

Very helpful.

What documents do i need?

Do i need another criminal record check, etc etc etc

I don't plan to return to Britain and i havent left Korea since getting here. I just want to cover all my bases so that i know exactly what im letting myself in for.

If my boss fires me on the spot, how long do i have to find another job before i get kicked out of here??

Thanks again. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Carla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macattack123 wrote:
THANKYOU!!!!

Very helpful.

What documents do i need?

Do i need another criminal record check, etc etc etc

I don't plan to return to Britain and i havent left Korea since getting here. I just want to cover all my bases so that i know exactly what im letting myself in for.

If my boss fires me on the spot, how long do i have to find another job before i get kicked out of here??

Thanks again. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Paperwork depends on the mood of the immigration officer, so have everything just in case.

You have to leave right after your work visa is cancelled. If you don't have an immediate job lined up, you can take the plane/ferry to Japan or China and come back on a tourist visa.
pikachun1

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't the schools/hakwons sue you for anything?
klis

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Visa

Last edited by klis on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
CPFC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Breaking a contract Reply with quote

I was in Korea back in '07. Basically I'd worked in the same job for 2.5 years but due to unforeseen circumstances I had to bolt. I still feel bad about it. Nothing illegal obviously or I wouldn't be thinking of returning next year.

My question is: Because I did a runner from my job in '07 will I encounter any difficulties (visa or otherwise) if I try to return next year?? I don't plan on going back to the same city.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: