Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomstar86 wrote:
I'm a Brit - hence my reluctance to have kept on top of the pension in the first place, as I'll never see this money again and will receive no benefit from it!

I didn't think immi worked too closely with the pension office (otherwise I doubt they'd have renewed my visa in August with the amount I had outstanding then).

Thanks for all your help and advice, it's really appreciated.

Actually, you DO get the pension money back - when you retire.
tomstar86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, essentially, NEVER. Can you imagine calling pension services in the UK FORTY YEARS FROM NOW saying, "hey I worked in Korea for a few years when I was in my twenties, can I claim my pension back?" It's not going to happen LOL.
tomstar86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question - I'll be applying for another E2 visa, but this time under a different passport (I'll renew my passport in the UK in a couple of weeks).

Do you think there'd be any problems getting a new E2 visa if I have unpaid pension in Korea?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomstar86 wrote:
Another question - I'll be applying for another E2 visa, but this time under a different passport (I'll renew my passport in the UK in a couple of weeks).

Do you think there'd be any problems getting a new E2 visa if I have unpaid pension in Korea?

a) unpaid as in the pension office was chasing after you for unpaid contributions?
b) unpaid as in you had a job but didn't pay into pension and no-one cared?
c) unpaid as in you didn't claim a refund when you left and there is still money in your pension account?

If <a> then you may have problems but I really doubt it.
If <b> or <c> then no worry.

tomstar86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpaid as in...I guess a).

Basically, the pension office sends me a letter say every three months, if I happen to have missed a recent payment. The letter is non-threatening in tone, and is more "please pay" than "pay or we're going to take legal action". There have been no phone calls made or visits etc.

I'm going to pay a little more into it before I leave, but there'll be definitely still an amount of roughly 700k outstanding.
imagicaxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to personal family issues at home, I have to leave Korea even though I just arrived. I have not yet received or even applied for an ARC. I do plan on finding another hagwon position later in the year when things clear up. Will they automatically cancel my E2 when I leave or will the school cancel it because I broke my contract? I'm worried I'll have problems getting a new E2 or I'll have to wait for it to expire next year.
jenilyn8705

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking Contract Reply with quote

genaureliano wrote:
I am breaking my contract after 8 months in October. I had been planning on giving the two months notice required by my contract, but I have recently heard horror stories of teachers giving notice and being terminated on the spot. Does anyone have experience with breaking contracts? How did you go about it? How did your boss handle it? Thanks.

Basically, be sure you look at the contract but also expect them to not follow the rules. My contract stated a 60 day notice, but my director tried to hold me illegally for 90 days and the only reason she had me stuck to hold it out was because she wouldn't release my documents otherwise.

Also, you have to be sure you get it straight as to how much money you will be losing... and expect to get more taken away than what is agreed upon.

I was honest and tried to keep it as fair as could be, but of course they tried their best to manipulate. I did get lucky that they found a replacement in good time so then I could leave and find a much better job without being held longer illegally though.

I will say this though based on what I've observed with others: You get what you give -- I know a few people who were being treated badly and then were working illegally and then got caught and fired for it so they ended up in a much worse situation. So even if you are in a bad situation, go about it as ethically as possible and watch who you talk to about it because it might come back and bite you.
kain243

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: breaking contract and switching Reply with quote

I took a teaching job two months ago at a technical high school without knowing what I was getting into and my life has been incredibly stressful and difficult ever since. Id like to resign and switch to a different school. I have most of the documents for a new visa handy except for the crc which I'm getting in about three weeks. I'd like some advice...
First off, how likely is it things will work out and how difficult would it be to pull off?
Secondly, how would I explain to the recruiter wanting to wait until august because of the 30 day notice requirement?
And thirdly, assuming the first two go well, how do I explain having a bank account and internet/phone account with a different arc? If I cancel them and then try to make a new account won't they probably find it strange or mention the fact that I already had an account with a different arc to my next school?[/list]
miwi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm breaking my contract 4 months early..

I was wondering about the visa, I wanted to travel in Korea before I go home. But it seems like we only have two weeks before we need to leave?

Is there no way to extend the visa or change it without leaving the country beforehand? :S
basilofbst

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my contract says, "a.In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing six (6) months period of the contract term, the teacher must reimburse the employer the cost of the ticket to Korea."

Does that mean I shouldn't resign until I've been here for six months, or can I resign on month 5 and continuing working until month 7 since my contract says I have to give two months notice to get the LOR?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basilofbst wrote:
So, my contract says, "a.In either case of dismissal or resignation before completing six (6) months period of the contract term, the teacher must reimburse the employer the cost of the ticket to Korea."

Does that mean I shouldn't resign until I've been here for six months, or can I resign on month 5 and continuing working until month 7 since my contract says I have to give two months notice to get the LOR?

Do you want to stay and fight over it at a labor tribunal?

Give notice and kiss it goodbye along with any other wages you may have accrued in your last 4-6 weeks.

If your hagwon is even slightly dodgy then just leave (MNR).

Joe Bradley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I've always been curious about regarding teachers here who break their contracts and leave without telling their employers: are there ever any legal repercussions? For example, does anyone know if the Korean tax department/Health Service ever pursues these people for outstanding payments? I'm thinking primarily of people who return to the US or Canada---countries that possibly have an agreement with Korea regarding these sorts of things.

And would a university teacher who pays into a private pension scheme here automatically forfeit his/her contributions if they break their contracts and do a runner? I imagine that for some people their contributions would represent a fair amount of money.

Thanks,
Joe
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking Contract Reply with quote

genaureliano wrote:
I am breaking my contract after 8 months in October. I had been planning on giving the two months notice required by my contract, but I have recently heard horror stories of teachers giving notice and being terminated on the spot. Does anyone have experience with breaking contracts? How did you go about it? How did your boss handle it? Thanks.

I broke my first contract in Korea. I was seven months in and my hogwon was a nightmare. I wanted to stay in Korea and I was involved in a relationship (now married), so I worked hard to find a new job. A friend of mine got me in touch with someone who gave me a job. The rest is history.

I was a afraid at the time. There were many uncertainties. I didn't know if anyone would hire me, but it all worked out in the end. Do what you need to do. Don't look back.
Marquis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this question posed a few times and answered differently. If a person breaks their contract, yet files for new paperwork can they obtain a new job if its before the end of the first scheduled contract?
bermanator1989

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: BREAKING CONTRACT -> REFUND AIRFARE Reply with quote

I am considering leaving my Hagwon before my contract is up. I have been here 3 months.

My contract doesn't say anything about having to refund the airfare to korea...but I have heard that this happens all the time. If it is not in my contract, can they make me pay?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: