Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A more rational organization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

States don't have rights. People do. But federalism helps to preserve peoples' rights.

Ya-Ta, I looked at some of those 38 States, and actually they make more sense than many of the current divisions. I also loved the names. Seriously, the names themselves are half of the charm.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
States don't have rights. People do. But federalism helps to preserve peoples' rights.

Ya-Ta, I looked at some of those 38 States, and actually they make more sense than many of the current divisions. I also loved the names. Seriously, the names themselves are half of the charm.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Sounds to me like States have rights.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That map seems even more irrational than the current system. Seward is completely lacking in population, while Biscayne is Florida on steroids. Mohawk takes all the money out of New York, while lumping the city in with a whole bunch of affluence (Connecticut and the Berkshires). It actually strikes me as going even further to separate the haves and the have nots.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

I agree with your second paragraph. Governmental units ought to have something to do with actual reality, not some historical accident.

Your first sentence is just splitting hairs and you know it.

Your second sentence is partially right. Federalism does help protect and preserve peoples' rights when it isn't even busier taking those same rights away. It is an empty concept that is used just as often for evil as it is for good: Why can't Adam and Steve get married in Kentucky and live the life they wish? The country [people] will be better off when we give up our romantic attachments to the past and organize ourselves on more rational, flexible terms for efficient government. [Yes, I know 'rational, flexible' are not terms conservatives are interested in. It's only SIZE that matters. I do dearly wish Freud were not dead.]

On top of that, why do states get rights but counties do not? And if counties should get equal rights someday, why shouldn't precincts? It's a slippery slippery slope.
comm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:

On top of that, why do states get rights but counties do not? And if counties should get equal rights someday, why shouldn't precincts? It's a slippery slippery slope.

That's only if you ignore the Constitution, which it seems you have no difficulty doing.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How the States Got Their Shapes Too: The People Behind the Border-Lines"

Mark Stein examines the many people who shaped state boundaries. The author's profiles range from Brigham Young's influence in Utah, Nevada and Arizona to Jeremiah Dixon and Charles Mason, the British surveyors noted for their lines that separated Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Mark Stein speaks at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

http://www.booktv.org/Program/12658/How+the+States+Got+Their+Shapes+Too+The+People+Behind+the+BorderLines.aspx

This is a revealing talk that shows just how absurd the state boundaries are and how they came about.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Kuros wrote:

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Sounds to me like States have rights.

Read it again. Powers are reserved to the States. That means that the States have the police power, but the Federal government does not. The States do not have rights, they have full police power, and the Federal government is limited by its enumerated powers.

Ya-Ta Boy wrote:
Your second sentence is partially right. Federalism does help protect and preserve peoples' rights when it isn't even busier taking those same rights away. It is an empty concept that is used just as often for evil as it is for good: Why can't Adam and Steve get married in Kentucky and live the life they wish? The country [people] will be better off when we give up our romantic attachments to the past and organize ourselves on more rational, flexible terms for efficient government. [Yes, I know 'rational, flexible' are not terms conservatives are interested in. It's only SIZE that matters. I do dearly wish Freud were not dead.]

Just like a right-winger, you ignore the 14th Amendment. I'm not going to bother with you any longer. I've explained this to you again and again and you still don't understand it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: