Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

@@ Samsung Galaxy Tab @@
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlee83

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: @@ Samsung Galaxy Tab @@ Reply with quote

Are there any Samsung Galaxy Tab users on this board?

I'm trying to decide between the Tab or the S, and leaning towards the Tab atm since I'm not a big cellphone user.

Did some price checking online and it looks like the Tab can be had for 346k upfront with a 2 year contract @ 45k/month fee for the 500MB data plan.

Is this price correct or can I get a better deal?

I did hear that the upfront cost goes down with a higher 55k-95k/month data plan, although I don't think I need more than 500MB since I'd mainly be using WIFI.

Also heard that the 3G service is slower than WIFI in Seoul. Is this correct?

Would love to hear some Tab users thoughts. Can I 'conveniently' use the Tab as my phone as well, or is it too much of a hassle to use as your main phone?
Drew10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: @@ Samsung Galaxy Tab @@ Reply with quote

jlee83 wrote:
Are there any Samsung Galaxy Tab users on this board?

I'm trying to decide between the Tab or the S, and leaning towards the Tab atm since I'm not a big cellphone user.

Did some price checking online and it looks like the Tab can be had for 346k upfront with a 2 year contract @ 45k/month fee for the 500MB data plan.

Is this price correct or can I get a better deal?

I did hear that the upfront cost goes down with a higher 55k-95k/month data plan, although I don't think I need more than 500MB since I'd mainly be using WIFI.

Also heard that the 3G service is slower than WIFI in Seoul. Is this correct?

Would love to hear some Tab users thoughts. Can I 'conveniently' use the Tab as my phone as well, or is it too much of a hassle to use as your main phone?

If you already have a contract phone SK will probably shut you down (unless you're on a F2/F5).The tab is considered a smartphone. You have to have the smartphone plan in order to use it. By upfront cost do you mean the price of the unit over 2 years? because the upfront cost is pretty expensive, but when you sign up for the 2 year plan the discounts can knock the tab down quite a bit.

Yes, if you sign up for a larger monthly plan you get a bigger discount, so in my opinion the 55,000 plan can only benefit you more (with unlimited data and a lower unit cost). I can't give you specific numbers at the moment but if you're still interested PM me and i can give you REAL numbers tomorrow when i go to work.

I'm not in Seoul so i can't give you specifics about the WiFi there either, but the 3G speeds are more than sufficient for my browsing needs.

Edited..

When i say the tab is a smartphone...it is. You can make phone calls directly from it like the S, it's a giant speaker phone until you get a bluetooth headset, then you can use it like a regular phone. Which is why it requires a smartphone plan with voice/data/text.
nobbyken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew10, I guess you work in a phone shop?

I am currently with LG, but I'm thinking about getting a tab. Problem is I'm moving to the UK in 14 months. What's the get out clause/fee if I cancel after 14 months OR can I purchase outright and take to use in the UK?
Will it work with UK networks, or are they configured to work with only Korean networks?

Sorry to hijack thread, but I think use outside Korea may also be a factor in purchasing!
Drew10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobbyken wrote:
Drew10, I guess you work in a phone shop?

I am currently with LG, but I'm thinking about getting a tab. Problem is I'm moving to the UK in 14 months. What's the get out clause/fee if I cancel after 14 months OR can I purchase outright and take to use in the UK?
Will it work with UK networks, or are they configured to work with only Korean networks?

Sorry to hijack thread, but I think use outside Korea may also be a factor in purchasing!

Sorry i'm getting back to you so late, but i've been pretty sick the past couple of days.

Yes, you can use the Tab in your home country. The thing is, you must have it unlocked before you go home. The norm in that situation is to have the customer wait 6 months to unlock their device.

As for the cancellation fees...Well...

The Tab has a base price of 1,006,500 won. If you were to buy it upfront most shops add on an extra 100,000 won. If your local shop will even open a contract for 14 months your payments would be about 25,000 (roughly) with the 55,000 won per month plan.

so 25,000 x 14 = 350,000 paid to the price of the Tab (roughly)

1,006,500 - 350,000 = 656,500 (roughly)

So 656,500 would be a rough estimate of your cancellation fee.
jlee83

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Drew, I visited a SK shop and you were spot on with the prices!

They do add an 'installment interest fee' which totals to 45,648won and a signup/registration fee (if you are new or switching carriers) of 39,600won+9,900won.

So, with a 55k/month plan, you'd be paying 73,527won/month, plus the signup/registration fee.

Also, as a heads-up, the Tab is a lot bigger than it seems in the commercials. You definitely cannot carry it around in your pocket (even in your back pocket).
jlee83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions to all the tother Tab users in Korea.

Does your Tab only have 14.82GB internal storage? Mine only has 14.82GB and I was wondering if I was the only one without a 16GB Tab.

Also, does your Tab list cellphone numbers in this format: 000-000-00000? This is rather annoying as the cellphone format in Korea is 000-0000-0000. Is there anyway to change this?

Also, did you get any other 'freebies' included with your purchase of the Tab? I've heard stories of people getting case covers, stylus, etc etc but I only got a screen protector. Crying or Very sad
tatertot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlee83 wrote:
I have a few questions to all the tother Tab users in Korea.

Does your Tab only have 14.82GB internal storage? Mine only has 14.82GB and I was wondering if I was the only one without a 16GB Tab.

Also, does your Tab list cellphone numbers in this format: 000-000-00000? This is rather annoying as the cellphone format in Korea is 000-0000-0000. Is there anyway to change this?

Also, did you get any other 'freebies' included with your purchase of the Tab? I've heard stories of people getting case covers, stylus, etc etc but I only got a screen protector. Crying or Very sad

I don't have a Galaxy Tab but I can answer your question about storage space. It is because of 1 of 2 reasons (or both).

1: Device makers consider 1 billion bytes to be a GB. However, computers (and most other electronic devices) actually consider 1 GB to be 2^30 bytes (1073741824 bytes). Therefore, if you divide 1,000,000,000 (1 million bytes) by 1,073,741,824 (2^30 bytes) then multiply by 16 GB, you get 14.9 GB (approximately).

2: Some storage space on the device is dedicated to the device OS. This space isn't usable so it takes some of the 16 GB that is advertised.

In your case, I think it is pretty much all reason number 1. That's because I'm 99% certain that the entire OS isn't living in 80 MB of space (the difference between 14.9 GB and 14.82 GB). Anyway, iPads, iPods, Galaxy Tabs, all these devices have the same way of listing storage space. So, while it is BS that our devices don't actually have the amount of storage space that is advertised (or you could argue that the amount advertised is disingenuous), don't be mad at Samsung or Google. Be upset with the entire industry.
jlee83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Tatertot! That explains it!

And I'm not mad at Samsung or Google, Very Happy . Just wanted to know if I needed to exchange mine for another Tab.

I'm a bit of a bargain-shopper and always curious if I got a good or bad deal whenever I buy an expensive product.

For example, I would love to hear from any Tab buyers who got some accessories included for free when they purchased their Tab through SK.

Did anyone get a free extra battery, 16GB external micro card, case cover, etc?

I honestly thought the Tab came with a free 16GB micro card, but apparently it doesn't.
nick70100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlee83 wrote:

This problem is related to the language setting. If your language is set to English it will think you're in the USA and display phone numbers in the North American format. If you set the language to Korean it will display Korean phone numbers correctly. All Galaxy phones in Korea have this issue.
As far as I know there's no way around it.
nobbyken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true there is a secong generation in the offing: without a phone, just wifi?
jlee83

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick70100 wrote:

This problem is related to the language setting. If your language is set to English it will think you're in the USA and display phone numbers in the North American format. If you set the language to Korean it will display Korean phone numbers correctly. All Galaxy phones in Korea have this issue.
As far as I know there's no way around it.

Wow, you're right! Thanks so much for clearing that up! Very Happy

Nobbyken, I think you can use wifi-only if you buy the Tab outright without a phone contract.

Here's another problem I noticed with my 'new' Tab.

Quote:
Just downloaded Kies for my Tab. I noticed a bunch of image files on the Photos folder of Kies. 99% of them were images created on 2011-01-09 (I got my Tab on 2011-01-0Cool. However, there was one image created on 2010-12-24 (this was the date my Tab was 'made' according to the info on the Tab). However, I also have 3 images that were created on 2009-08-31 according to Kies.

Anyone have any idea what this means? Were Galaxy Tabs even available in late 2009? Is my 'new' Tab in actuality a refurbished piece of junk?

Quote:
Nope, they aren't my pictures. Even if they were samples, I don't understand why my Tab (which was supposedly 'made' on 2010-12-24) would have image samples that were created on 2009-08-31. There are 157 image samples, mostly logo/app images with several pink blurred images.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my Tab?
nobbyken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a iTouch user who had a wifi plan for about 5,ooo원 per month. Is it possible to get this if you have a wifi Galaxy Tab?
ldh2222

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlee83 wrote:
Thanks Drew, I visited a SK shop and you were spot on with the prices!

They do add an 'installment interest fee' which totals to 45,648won and a signup/registration fee (if you are new or switching carriers) of 39,600won+9,900won.

So, with a 55k/month plan, you'd be paying 73,527won/month, plus the signup/registration fee.

Also, as a heads-up, the Tab is a lot bigger than it seems in the commercials. You definitely cannot carry it around in your pocket (even in your back pocket).

Hey OP, so is the 73k total the (55k) plan you're personally on? I'm interested in getting the Tab, and currently shopping for the right shop to get it at. So I'm wondering about the details of your purchase!
jlee83

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ldh2222, yes I'm on the 55k/month plan for 2 years.

With the 2-year contract discount included, I'm paying 13,027won/month for the Tab.

So, this is what my basic monthly cost will look like (this is assuming I don't go over my min/text limit, etc etc):

55,000-----300min/200text/unlimited data plan
13,027-----discounted Tab price (312,648won, assuming 2 years)
5,500-------tax on the data plan
______
73,527-----my monthly fee

This does not include a 'signup fee' of 39,600 for all new SK users and a 'USIM fee' (no idea what this is!) of 9,900. You can pay this upfront or have it included into your first 5 monthly payments.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I don't have to pay taxes on the monthly Tab price (13,027).

I got a free screen protector, but no other extras. Hope you do better with the freebies!

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Very Happy

PS- New question. Probably a stupid question, but forgive me, I'm totally new to smart phones. Does the unlimited data refer to 3G data?
Drew10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unlimited data means unlimited 3G.

Look into the "Mini T World" app. It allows you to keep track of your minutes/texts/data, check your bill and gives you an extra 100 free texts per month. You will probably need a Korean friend to help set it up if your Korean ability isn't so hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: