Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EDIT: New Info How Much To Retire at 30?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DejaVu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charriere wrote:
I imagine that the reality of retiring young to some place in SE Asia may not be all it's cracked up to be. You have to make use of your mind and energy while you can. Retirement is for people who are winding down.

The big issue when it comes to saving is raising children. Kids are expensive!

Why must we use our minds and all of our energy 40 hours each week?

Why not actually enjoy life. Use your mind elsewhere.

And having kids is a joke. Who would do that?
madoka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DejaVu wrote:

Your momma!
joelove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

[quote="ttompatz"]
$50,000 would last about 50 months (4 years) in Thailand if you were spending the capital as you go. Live like an expat and that would go down to about 2 years. IF you were particularly frugal you might stretch it out to 6 years.

That's a lot to spend in 2 years there. But 3 or 4 I could see it. Guess it has got more expensive.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
DejaVu wrote:

Your momma!

Ha! Niiice.
Charriere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says it has to be for 40 hours per week?

In my opinion if you are able to find a job, which gives you satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment, that's great. You don't have to be stuck behind a desk to achieve that. After all, isn't that why a good number of foreigners stay in Korea for a prolonged period?
ie: They enjoy what they are doing.

Those that are in Korea and don't enjoy what they are doing will obviously have a different take on it. Retirement suddenly becomes the holy grail.
Unposter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is what you want to do in your 20s and even 30s is generally different than what you want to do in your 60s, 70s and older.

So, I guess the way to go about it is to do those things you want to do in your 20s and 30s at that time, even if you don't work or work very little.

When you get older, you'll probably want to work and do other incredibly stupid things like have children and take out mortgages.

After you've raised kids and paid off a mortgage, then you will really want to retire if you know what you mean.

Don't race to be where you want to be - just do it - my apologies to the shoe company that has stolen an otherwise clever phrase.
J Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New info provided in my original post. I'm bumping this thread.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

J Rock wrote:
I cant believe its been 4 years since I originally made this post. Most things have not changed about me, I'm still the laziest man in the world, still married, still wank using the laptop after my wife has gone to sleep.

What has changed and why I'm bringing this thread back up is my father passed away about 2 months ago. I went home for the funeral, stayed with my brother and his wife for a week. He mentioned there would be an inheritance but he still had to sell our dads house and see how much money he had in his bank account before we would know how much we would be receiving.

Well he emailed 2 nights ago, he sold my dads house, car, some silver and gold coins in a safety deposit box (which neither of us knew about), and some cash in his checking and savings account, and what he had in his 401K.

It surprised both of us that we will both will be receiving a little over $200K. To some that's peanuts, but to me that's a hell of a lot of money. I understand that my previous number of $50K wouldn't last long enough for me to retire on the beach but could $200K plus whatever I could scrape together be enough?

What would you do with the money? My mind is spinning right now....
Enough? Not likely. What would I do? Buy a sailboat and live on it. 200k invested at 10% annual return is still only 20k. Monthly income of about $1650 would be nice, but just barely. Just sitting still and not burning calories to contain costs might be meditative, but in reality, the retired life will be really boring, as others have discussed. Stick with the work, the wife and kids, the wanking, enjoy life, and expire early like your forebears.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Fallacy wrote:
J Rock wrote:
I cant believe its been 4 years since I originally made this post. Most things have not changed about me, I'm still the laziest man in the world, still married, still wank using the laptop after my wife has gone to sleep.

What has changed and why I'm bringing this thread back up is my father passed away about 2 months ago. I went home for the funeral, stayed with my brother and his wife for a week. He mentioned there would be an inheritance but he still had to sell our dads house and see how much money he had in his bank account before we would know how much we would be receiving.

Well he emailed 2 nights ago, he sold my dads house, car, some silver and gold coins in a safety deposit box (which neither of us knew about), and some cash in his checking and savings account, and what he had in his 401K.

It surprised both of us that we will both will be receiving a little over $200K. To some that's peanuts, but to me that's a hell of a lot of money. I understand that my previous number of $50K wouldn't last long enough for me to retire on the beach but could $200K plus whatever I could scrape together be enough?

What would you do with the money? My mind is spinning right now....
Enough? Not likely. What would I do? Buy a sailboat and live on it. 200k invested at 10% annual return is still only 20k. Monthly income of about $1650 would be nice, but just barely. Just sitting still and not burning calories to contain costs might be meditative, but in reality, the retired life will be really boring, as others have discussed. Stick with the work, the wife and kids, the wanking, enjoy life, and expire early like your forebears.

savage /topropeelbowdrop

What I want to know is, what does wife feel about all of this? Plans for kid's future? I find the idea of working just to sit around and not be a burdensome old person just as tedious as the next fellow, but they have to accompany you on your little Kon-Tiki expedition, J-Rock.
Stain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would invest money in time. There has to be a way to live longer.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
I would invest money in time.
This. I second the assessment of Stain.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Fallacy wrote:
Stain wrote:
I would invest money in time.
This. I second the assessment of Stain.

Thank you fallacy. I have put my life savings into finding a way to have more time. Unfortunately, I didn't consider the time value of money, as in the present. I don't have any. Help!
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Spending time to earn money, then spending that earnt money to buy time is circumlocution. As I wished for time, I specifically took payment of time in lieu of money, but few regard this as a viable pursuit. Let the cry for help from Stain serve as a warning to all ye who come after.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Fallacy wrote:
Spending time to earn money, then spending that earnt money to buy time is circumlocution. As I wished for time, I specifically took payment of time in lieu of money, but few regard this as a viable pursuit. Let the cry for help from Stain serve as a warning to all ye who come after.

Yes, now I see that getting more time means I have to have more money. How foolish!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much To Retire at 30? Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Yes, now I see that getting more time means I have to have more money. How foolish!

It will be a long time yet before you can even begin to fathom the mysteries of Time Cube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: