Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be there next weekend.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger beer, youre coming to Fukuoka?! When? Shoot me a pm to let me know and we can meet up if ya want.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatthefunk wrote:
Tiger beer, youre coming to Fukuoka?! When? Shoot me a pm to let me know and we can meet up if ya want.

Good plan, PM on the way!

So far it seems I'll be arriving Thursday, February 24th.

Which brings the next question.. if I arrive at 12:35pm.. will I be able to get my work visa submitted in time on Thursday, to pick up Friday and be on the plane out on Saturday?
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Which brings the next question.. if I arrive at 12:35pm.. will I be able to get my work visa submitted in time on Thursday, to pick up Friday and be on the plane out on Saturday?

Yes. In fact, you can drop it off on Friday morning and pick it up at 4:30 same day. Make sure you get there early in the morning though. I`m not sure when the cutoff is, but if you get there between, say, 9-10 you should definately be fine. Or you can drop it off Thursday before 5.

I`m actually in Fukuoka right now. The weather here in Kyushu has been crappy pretty much all week, but it`s been fun. I`ll post some more details about the Fukuoka run on this sticky when I get back.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in Fukuoka this Wednesday, Feb. 23rd...staying till Saturday for sightseeing purposes. Taking the ferry...I'm a little concerned about the ferry...is the weather alright? Have there been any cancellations due to heavy rain or wind?
just because

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolyChronicTimeGirl wrote:
Taking the ferry...I'm a little concerned about the ferry...is the weather alright? Have there been any cancellations due to heavy rain or wind?

Seriously don't be concerned. I took it back from Fukuoka one time in near typoon conditions in the blinding rain and big seas(actually that should have been cancelled).
Weather for Wednesday in Busan party cloudy, min 1/max 9 so no problems.
www.kweather.co.kr
Joe Bradley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question: I'm taking the Beetle over from Busan to Fukuoka, and will not be getting to the Korean Embassy till just after lunch. Is there any possibility that my visa might *not* be ready the following morning? I have to return on the 2:30 crossing that day.

Thanks
Joe
AJRimmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Bradley wrote:
Just a quick question: I'm taking the Beetle over from Busan to Fukuoka, and will not be getting to the Korean Embassy till just after lunch. Is there any possibility that my visa might *not* be ready the following morning? I have to return on the 2:30 crossing that day.

Thanks
Joe

Can't answer you're question, but a certainly hope so....think we're on the same ferry. At pusan Station now in a pc bang with some Russian chicks.

Did you find a hotel name for your entry card,
I'm using the Toyo Hotel

Doubt it'll be as cheap as the love hotel I spent last night in Crying or Very sad
Might try somewhere cheaper Smile Speak a little bit hotel,
ichi ban yasai hotel ikitai......I want to go to the cheapest hotel

Think thats right, a little rusty
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more information about the Fukuoka run:

Flying to Fukuoka from Seoul

These flights are cheaper than the flights to Osaka. I paid 190,000 won (about 235,000 including tax) for a round trip in February.

Also, the train trip to Osaka from Kansai airport is long and expensive, but Fukuoka Airport is right on the subway line, and getting to the Korean Consulate is a piece of cake.

Arriving at the Airport and Getting Around

Upon arriving in Fukuoka Airport, the first thing you'll want to do is catch the free shuttle bus to the Domestic Terminal, which is where the subway station is located. Fukuoka Airport's subway station is at the east end of the line, so you'll be heading west.

All of these stations are on the same line:

Hakata Station (train station) is two stops away. This is where a lot of convenient and relatively inexpensive accomodation is located. I stayed at the Accord Hotel, which is an 8-minute walk from Hakata Station. It's a business hotel and the rooms are very small, but very clean, modern, and comfortable. It costs 5,000 yen (50,000 won) a night and has free croissants and coffee for breakfast as well as other more delux breakfasts available for very cheap prices. They also have several computers in the lobby cafe you can use for free.

Tenjin Station is 5 stops from the airport. This is the lively heart of Fukuoka. you'll find lots of restaurants, shopping, and nightlife here.

Tojin-machi station is 8 stops from the airport. This is where the Korean Consulate is located. To get there, take the exit from the subway labelled as the Korean Consulate, and follow that main street west until you come to the first main street cutting across, which is 7 blocks away. Cross that street and start heading north. After about another 7 blocks you'll come to another main street the Consulate is on the northwest corner of that intersection. I guess it's about a 10 minute walk from the subway.

The cost of the subway depends on how far you go. It's 250 yen from the airport to Hakata station. It's also 250 yen from Hakata station to Tojin-machin, but only 200 to Tenjin. You buy your ticket in the machine, and some machines will give you change for any bill, even a 10,000 yen note. Be careful though! Every subway ticket is date-stamped upon purchase, and must be used the same day. Do not buy a subway ticket to the airport the evening before your flight thinking that it will save you time and hassle. That ticket will be useless at the end of that day.

Getting Your Visa

You will need your passport, your Blue Paper (Certificate of Visa Issuance), and one photo to attach to the application. You will also have to pay some money. At this time, it is either 5,200 or 5,300 yen, I can't remember which. That's about 52,000 won. Interestingly enough, they don't take Korean money! The Korean government operating on it's own sovereign soil (consulate grounds are deemed as such by international law) will not accept its own money. Surprised That's priceless. So make sure you have enough yen.

If you get there in the morning, you'll come back at 4:30pm to pick up your newly-stamped passport. I'm not sure when the deadline is -- I've heard maybe lunchtime. I'm also not sure when you can get it if you drop your stuff off in the afternoon.

Things to Do While You Wait

The Korean Consulate is right across the street from the Hawks Town Mall. It's not a very exciting mall, but it does have a pretty cool Hard Rock Cafe that makes a mean Chimichanga.

Fukuoka Tower, the second largest tower in Japan, is a short walk away. It has some great views of the city as well as the harbor and coast.

One subway stop away (in the direction back to Hakata Station) is Ohori-koen Station, which has a very interesting sites (as well as the American Consulate, if you're in a jam). The Ohori-koen gardens and pond is a nice place to take a stroll. Just behind it is the Fukuoka City Art Museum, which is very small, but has a few interesting works, including works by Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Salvador Dali, Jean Miro, and Marc Chagall (although I'm not sure if these are part of the permanent collection). There are also some old Japanese exibits on the first floor. Behind the musem are the ruins of Fukuoka Castle, which also makes for a nice little stroll.

And of course, there's Tenjin, which is a pretty happening place to hang around.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN I DO THE VISA IN ONE DAY IN FUKUOKA?

Everyday I call my employer, the paperwork isn't ready. So looks like I might have to leave Saturday and process it all on Monday (in one day). Its possible?
verschiedenes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people with university jobs will be doing the visa run to Fukuoka this weekend, hoping to get their visas done on Monday, since Tuesday the consulate will be closed.
I know I have to go for the same reason as you (employer just gave me the blue paper, and all seats for Thursday/Friday were sold out), and at least one other person at my school will be doing the same thing.
Donghae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJRimmer wrote:

ichi ban yasai hotel ikitai......I want to go to the cheapest hotel

Think thats right, a little rusty

Er....not too far off but you might find a few taxi drivers giggling at you as that actually translates as

"I want to go to the no. 1 vegetable hotel"

ichiban yasui (ya-soo-ee) hoteru ikitai might (I cannot stress the "might" strongly enough as lots of Japanese taxi drivers don't even have a clue where they're going) serve you better.

As someone who lives in Japan let me recommend this hotel chain. I reckon EASILY the best budget hotel accommodation in most Japanese cities - cheap, clean, well-equipped, the lot. You can usually get a single for around 5000yen or less and the price includes breakfast and free high speed internet access in your room (need to bring your own laptop & LAN cable). In Fukuoka they have about 3 or 4 hotels all in the Hakata (main JR) station area. Their website has all the info you need in English (& Korean!) and they really put most Japanese hotels to shame.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/

Incidentally, from the international terminal you don't necessarily have to take the shuttle bus to the domestic terminal plus the subway to get down town. If you want the station area, there is a Nishi tetsu (one word but censor wouldn't allow it!)run bus which goes from the international terminal to the Hakata Bus Center next to Hakata stn for 190yen. However, you can be unlucky if you've just missed one as they're not all that frequent (1 or 2 an hour) and if you're subsequently going anywhere else by subway then you are better off just getting on it at the airport.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the number one vegetable hotel!!!!!

You should say....

ichi ban yasui hoteru ikitai desu. Gotta say 'desu'. Politeness is everything in japan. Or you could say..

yasui hoteru shite imasuka? Do you know a cheap hotel?
Cymro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flying to Fukuoka tomorrow (wed) afternoon to do the visa on Thursday.

How's the nightlife there Wednesdays? Do I recall correctly that it's a cheap night at the bars?

Also, 190,000won for a return flight from Seoul? How? I had to pay almost double that!
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, go to the happy cock in Daimyo...the one on the ninth floor i think. 200 yen beers and its quiz night. decent crowd. ill be there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: