Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs...Fukuoka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen_the_great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cangel wrote:
If you are going to try fugu, Fukuoka is not too bad of a choice. However, if you want to get the best fugu, jump on the JR train from Hakata and venture up to Shimonoseki, about an hour from Fukuoka. This place is the home of fugu in Japan.

I know it's not really the season for it, but I might not go back to Japan again (I already did a visa run once and did a big trip last summer), so it would be an experience. Thanks for the tip. Any specific places though?
cangel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific places that I would recommend. The beauty of Shimonoseki is that you can go high end or not. That is to say, in Fukuoka you just have expensive fugu restaurants but in Shimonoseki you have small shops that sell fugu too. You could pop in and order a fugu donburi (rice bowl topped with fried fugu) or anything in between. Typically they start with fugu sashimi, then some fried fugu, followed by some fugu soup at the more expensive restaurants.
Rumple

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cangel wrote:
I often go to Fukuoka (lived there for 6 years) and the last time I went the ticket from Busan was more expensive. Go figure.The JR Kyushu Beetle English website offers a book of 6 tickets (3RT) for Y20,000 (KW 150,466).

I just checked on that, and apparently you can only buy the book at Hakata Port in Fukuoka...maybe I'll hop a one-way over, then buy the book there for the return.

Anybody know if they sell something like this on the Busan side of the water?
JerBear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip to Fukuoka and Hiroshima. My ferry (hydrofoil) leaves Busan @ 3pm on 8/2 (Saturday) and I return the following Friday. I've successfully made my ferry reservation but am having difficulty with my KTX reservation.

When I go on KTX's website, I can call up a train schedule, but when I go to make my reservation, I get an error message saying I can only make the reservation on 8/1 or later. I'm afraid that if I wait that long, all the seats will already be taken (by Koreans who were able to navigate the system) and then I won't be able to make it to Busan in time.

Has anyone had success in making online reservations with KTX? How did you do it?
Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone recommend a cheap hotel near the harbour or conveniently reachable from the harbour?

Thanks Smile
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the wellbeing capusle hotel. Just off canal street. 3900 yen for good quality B&B.

My main problem is with finding flights, I'm going in two weeks, but not for a visa run. I've found a job there. I don't want to lug all my worldly possessions on and off a ferry and shoestring has quoted me 57000 for flights which I'd rather not pay, if anyone knows of cheaper tickets, please let me know.
Sir Percival the Gallant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here�s a question about immigration and such: do you need to have registered with the immigration office in Korea and an alien-residency card to do the visa run? I�ve been at my current job for about two months and my employers haven�t taken me to get it. I�m worried I�ll be denied the visa or even entry into Japan without it. There�d be also the issue of if I did get into the country and was denied the visa: my present visa isn�t multi-entry. I�ve heard, though, that I need to get something from Korean immigration for this whole process, so I guess they�ll find out about my residency status then. I may very well have overstayed in the two months that I�ve been here.

I have to do the visa run in the near future, since I�m being replaced at my current job. Otherwise, I�ll just go home, which wouldn�t actually be too bad, since I haven�t had a great time over here, and the new job wouldn't be much better than what I've got now.
glimmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumple wrote:
Maybe I'll hop a one-way over, then buy the book there for the return.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but will Japanese immigration make a fuss if you enter Japan on a one-way ticket (ferry or plane)?
yogakelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: ok I still don't get it Reply with quote

I am an American still in NJ..
I recently was offered a position with GEPIK for 6 months. The recruiter is saying I can go to Korea and do a visa run in Fukoka. I don't know if I should believe him. I called the Korean Consulate they said it was ok. I went to the Korean Consulate the man behind the visa counter said it was ok but then the lady at the information desk (I came during lunch hours then came back when she was there) tells me I cannot apply for E-2 over in Japan.
What is the verdict on this? I don't want to get deported at my own expense especially since the recruiter initially said do not tell them I'm a teacher since I do not have my teaching visa yet. I also tried to board the plane here at Newark on a one way to Seoul and could not board the plane. Technically I see if you have a ticket with transit to Japan booked a couple of weeks later that is ok. But it seems I cannot get a straight answer from anyone and the recruiter is insisting that it is ok to get a visa in Japan. Please advise urgently.
Neil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immigration rules change a lot and there's a lot of inconsistancy so don't take this as gospel.....BUT....

as far as I know if you have had an E2 visa before you can get processed in Japan.

If this is your first time applying for an E2 or you have a black mark in your immigration file then you have to get everything sorted out in the States.
CPT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a visa run to Fukuoka and there were no problems at all. I have had an E-2 before though.

Several other people were doing the same, and I assume they had the same result.
Bearach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to Fukuoka on the ferry on Thursday (December 4th). Anyone else around? I'm thinking I'll stay one or two nights, see whatever there is to see, and chill out a bit.
Coodge7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Visa run as of July 2008 Reply with quote

You can no longer do visa runs unless you have previously held an E-2 visa. They did them prior to a bunch of rule changes in July. Hagwons are, unfortunately rarely up to date on these changes as they just take everything on faith and what they have done before. I would not recommend coming to Korea from the US on a traveler's visa since a visa run to Japan will only get you turned down or an offer of short renewal of your traveler's. Also- if they find out you have been working on a traveler's they will not allow you to return to Korea. They are getting much stricter on these rules.
cruton1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent information here, thanks guys!

I am going to Fukuoka for a visa run (C-3 to a D-1, which no one at the consulate had ever heard of when I called them). It could take one or two days if I am lucky. The flights I am finding are 400,000 Won on Jal and 385 dollars on KAL.
Kangsan travel quoted me 240,000 roundtrip on the ferry plus hotel. But I am in Seoul, so I would have to add on KTX to that and perhaps a hotel room in Busan.

My only concern with the Kangsan package is that I am going with my husband, but we have to pay the same price each. So that means we will be paying double the price of a single room for one double room. Does that sound right? Should I have Kangsan book the ferry and then we find our own hostel? Or is it a huge savings on the hassle to have them book the room for us?

Also, does anyone know the latest on visa turn over times? The ferry gets in at 12:50 and leaves the next day at 2:30. I am thinking of doing this on Tuesday January 20th.

If anyone has any tips or advice, that would be great! Or if you are going there too, even better.

thanks,
Erica
Rapture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can no longer do visa runs unless you have previously held an E-2 visa. They did them prior to a bunch of rule changes in July. Hagwons are, unfortunately rarely up to date on these changes as they just take everything on faith and what they have done before. I would not recommend coming to Korea from the US on a traveler's visa since a visa run to Japan will only get you turned down or an offer of short renewal of your traveler's. Also- if they find out you have been working on a traveler's they will not allow you to return to Korea. They are getting much stricter on these rules.

My school are sending both me and my girlfriend to Japan on Visa runs next Thursday. We had our degree certificates verified by the KCUE so we did not have to return home to get our visa's issued. Is anyone up to date on the what the legal situation is with visa runs at the moment as this previous comment has worried me slightly... It would be good if any UK citizens who have recently done a visa run could help me out as I belive it is sometimes different rules for UK and US Nationals?

Also if anyone who has been recently could recommend any good and cheap places to stay/eat in Fukouka that would be great, the won is pretty shit against the yen at the moment and I don't want to be eating a hole in my wallet

Thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: