Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help! Board of Education needs new E-2 visa documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IncognitoHFX2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Need help! Board of Education needs new E-2 visa documents Reply with quote

I wanted to be more clear in the title but there is a short character limit.

Anyway, my hagwon boss told me that the Board of Education up and decided it wants a notarized degree (approved by the Montreal Consulate), two official transcripts from my university, a new and notarized CRC and a new medical check.

Not only that, they want it by next week or I could lose my job.

I already did all this six months ago for my E-2 Visa and don't understand why I should have to do it again. My boss is really on my case about this but there is really nothing I can do to speed it up. The CRC takes time and I have to get my parents in Canada to drive about four hours to pick up my university transcripts for about the fourth time since I've been over here (and they're getting sick of it as am I).

I tried to use my old documents but they said that nothing could be more than one month old.

I called immigration and they said they can't help me as they aren't connected to the Board of Education. The Board of Education won't accept a photocopy from immigration either, they want only originals.

Is there any way around this? Does anyone have any ideas? It's rather stressful as I might lose my job. My boss says if the Board of Education sends people over and my documents aren't ready, our hagwon will lose it's license or something (I work for an adult hagwon and the government pays for some of our students).

Anyone?
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=217864

ttompatz wrote:
E2 = originals go to immigration.

The MOE WILL accept copies of those originals made by immigration (300 won per copy) after your arrival in Korea.

As an alternative you can also use another set of originals (if you have the time and money to pizz with it).

OTHER visa class (F2/4/5/6) you need originals for the MOE.

Unless this is changing and ttom isn�t up to date on this, then the MOE will accept copies (made by kimmi) for an E-2.

Quote:
...did all this six months ago for my E-2 Visa...

Are you not on an E-2 now? If so, might be a problem for you.

Last edited by isitts on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
broonie30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let your hagwon boss stress you out. This has been discussed here on a few other threads including this one:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2764181

Yes the MOE wants your documents but apparently they will accept kimmi made copies if you are on an E-2. Originals from my understanding are for those on an F visa who are teaching.

I'm not sure when this law takes effect but have heard July 2012 a few times. ANYONE CAN CHIME IN IF THEY KNOW FOR SURE!!

I don't know if your boss is trying to stress you out or if the MOE are stressing him out but don't let it. Tell your parents to get back in their car and not to get transcripts as even immigtration doesn't require them anymore. You will not be the one to get hammered for this if your documents aren't in check in time, but your hagwon will receive a fine and not lose their licence.

Again, there is a definite lack of communication between the MOE offices and different stories of what offices are accepting copies. For now, don't stress about your job and read these other threads which might shed some more light onto things.
Good luck
IncognitoHFX2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to my boss again. He said that in Seoul, photocopies are okay but the Gyeonggi-do Board of Education requires applicants to have original documents. He isn't budging on it nor is the BoE apparently. It doesn't matter if the applicant is on an E-2 Visa or if they just submitted documents one month ago or whatever.

I called the Consulate in Montreal and Immigration here and neither of them had any idea what I was talking about but I still have to do it.

I also called my local RCMP department and the secretary was pretty insistent that "we aren't doing that for people overseas anymore, if you want it you have to come back and get it yourself."

If someone could find *proof* of this for Gyeonggi-do on the internet it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

What a pain in the...
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncognitoHFX2 wrote:
Talked to my boss again. He said that in Seoul, photocopies are okay but the Gyeonggi-do Board of Education requires applicants to have original documents. He isn't budging on it nor is the BoE apparently. It doesn't matter if the applicant is on an E-2 Visa or if they just submitted documents one month ago or whatever.

If someone could find *proof* of this for Gyeonggi-do on the internet it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

What a pain in the...

Nonsense. The MOE is National and NOT provincial (POE).

Kimmi issued copies (not ones you make yourself) are perfectly acceptable for anyone on an E2.

It will NOT affect your E2 (not an immigration issue).

The law was enacted LAST July (2011) and came into effect at the end of Feb 2012.

IncognitoHFX2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
IncognitoHFX2 wrote:

What a pain in the...

Nonsense. The MOE is National and NOT provincial (POE).

Kimmi issued copies (not ones you make yourself) are perfectly acceptable for anyone on an E2.

It will NOT affect your E2 (not an immigration issue).

The law was enacted LAST July (2011) and came into effect at the end of Feb 2012.

My boss is being rather stubborn about it. I thought this too and ran it by him and he told me that the BoE was provincial, that they called him and told him this.

I then told him that the Consulate in Montreal had no idea what I was talking about (they didn't) and he told me that he called them and they were fully on board (insinuating that I was lying). Then he said the whole process was so easy that he didn't understand why I was even complaining about it.

I'm complaining because I actually don't think it's possible. The RCMP might or might not give me a check, my parents might or might not jump through these stupid hoops another time and my university stopped releasing transcripts to people that weren't the person requesting them so I might not even be able to get those. That and the Consulate of Montreal thought my inquiry was extremely strange.

Then I have my boss saying I'm being ridiculous and not knowing what I'm talking about.

I'd really like to see this written down officially somewhere or know the phone number for the BoE so I could just call them and give them the what's what. I don't know if my boss is just being a dick (he's been known to be) or if some incompetent schmuck at the BoE is pressuring him.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell him that you will apply for them. No problem. If you get printed tomorrow and send them off by EMS they should be at the RCMP headquarters in Canada in about a week.

They should be returned by the RCMP in about 4-6 months (120 days minimum for an off-shore application) . You should have then back and ready to mail off to the consulate in Canada for certification 10 days or so after that. Certification by the consulate shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks more. You should have them in his hand by mid October 2012.

If he thinks he can do it faster he is welcome to try.

His other option is to take you to Kimmi and get them to issue a copy of the ones already on file (perfectly acceptable by the MOE and the local board of education.

There is no place your boss's requirements (originals only) are written down since they don't exist and people are making it up as they go along since they don't know what they are doing - welcome to Korea.

sojusucks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help! Board of Education needs new E-2 visa documen Reply with quote

IncognitoHFX2 wrote:
I wanted to be more clear in the title but there is a short character limit.

Anyway, my hagwon boss told me that the Board of Education up and decided it wants a notarized degree (approved by the Montreal Consulate), two official transcripts from my university, a new and notarized CRC and a new medical check.

Not only that, they want it by next week or I could lose my job.

I already did all this six months ago for my E-2 Visa and don't understand why I should have to do it again. My boss is really on my case about this but there is really nothing I can do to speed it up. The CRC takes time and I have to get my parents in Canada to drive about four hours to pick up my university transcripts for about the fourth time since I've been over here (and they're getting sick of it as am I).

I tried to use my old documents but they said that nothing could be more than one month old.

I called immigration and they said they can't help me as they aren't connected to the Board of Education. The Board of Education won't accept a photocopy from immigration either, they want only originals.

Is there any way around this? Does anyone have any ideas? It's rather stressful as I might lose my job. My boss says if the Board of Education sends people over and my documents aren't ready, our hagwon will lose it's license or something (I work for an adult hagwon and the government pays for some of our students).

Anyone?

Do what the experience here do: stock up on university transcripts Very Happy Order 10 or 20. As for the other stuff, it sounds like they want to paint you as an "unqualified" teacher. Whatever. There are plenty of jobs (you may have to go to China) so do not stress out to much.
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because this is a relatively new round of requirements odds are that Immigration workers are barely aware of it, and a hogwan owner is completely clueless.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylies99 wrote:
Because this is a relatively new round of requirements odds are that Immigration workers are barely aware of it, and a hogwan owner is completely clueless.

Where have you been hiding since last summer.

It is NOT an immigration issue. This one is the MOE (ministry of education or more properly now, "Ministry of Education, Science and Technology").

Of course immigration doesn't know or care. It is not for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: