Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANXIETY - looking for advice...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
In the US city I lived walking outside your condo entered you into a twisted world of insane unpredictable dangerous bizarre maniacs; clucking like chickens on street corners, banging their heads against brick buildings, or some other random odd thing. You can look into the eyes of these people and see the insanity deep inside.

Aside from Itaewon you never really see that in Seoul.

Dear KimchiNinja: Please come visit my neighbourhood someday. In fact, you don't even have to leave the station. Take Line 1 to Yeongdeongpo Station, go up the stairs to the KTX ticketing booths, walk towards Exit 1...preferably between 10pm and 12am.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
comm wrote:

I like that you're opinionated, but you're also clearly very new.

Thank you but I don't really think much about opinions actually, I'm an observer.

I'm actually not new to Korea. What I am new to is this forum, and what I don't understand is why are a bunch of people who hate Korea in Korea? If there was any place I would rather be I would be there right now.

None of this has anything to do with the topic of course, I think the original poster should take advantage of living in this great society and maybe try to learn something. They've been here for like 2000 years, perhaps they know something.

Ah, another Korean propagandist. Yes and Europeans/Africans etc have been in their countries for 2,000 years and more. Nothing new there sunshine.

You also gave it away from the beginning when you talked about how 'centred' and 'peaceful' or whatever people in Seoul are. Now while Seoul lacks the aggression you find in cities like Mokpo, Busan and Daegu, it certainly suffers from the high intensity of an incredibly competitive, cut-throat society without the saving grace of making individuality a lifestyle.

Koreans suffer from comparing themselves constantly with other people more than any other people I have lived among - and I have lived in a number of other countries in Europe, Asia and Australasia. I'm a Brit and although we had the class system bearing down for centuries (though East Asians certainly are very classist despite the stereotype of even income distribution that some people like to perpetuate), we also are the home of the Beatles, music and youth movements for good reason - there is also a definitie individuality in our culture that encourages people to do their own thing.

The usual reference to fat American and western people by you and one or two others here conveniently ignores that up until now the USA was THE country that provided opportunities people such as Koreans and other Asians could never find in their home countries precisely because of the suffocating presence of others who make it their business to keep you in line. It still is the country that most of the world's immigrants want to live in. That says a lot. Alternative lifestyles are not really alternative in the US, UK, Europe and Australia etc. There are defacto marriages recognised in law, gays can mostly be open, there are ways and means you can be an individual and not have to repress this.

The aggression in Korea which has been noted by non apologists has a lot to do with the repressed hostility many Koreans feel at being boxed in but it is still off limits to admit this openly as well as acknowledge the obvious mental illnesses present in a good many Koreans. What a joke talking about mental illnesses in the US etc - at least schizophrenics, depressives etc are usually on medication in western countries, there are many health campaigns re mental illness and the stigma to a large extent has gone. In Korea there is still the widespread notion that if it's ignored it will go away. Just like the HIV infected Koreans.

The lack of counselling in schools etc is appalling as is the cold blooded treatment of students at university who have to sit tests very soon after there is a death in their family. For more than 50 years universities in the UK have had special compassionate provisions for these kinds of situations. Denial does not equate to 'happy', 'peaceful', 'centred' people and only the most ridiculous apologists here and elsewhere would describe Seoulites or other Koreans generally in these ways. The lack of public health campaigns regarding alcohol also says everything about the denial here of both alcoholism and the mental health issues attached to its abuse in Korea.

As a norm, the majority of Koreans are still entangled in ways that are more for the approval of others - getting married and working in an approved profession, going out during the week on alcohol binges with co-workers, and sending their middle school/high school age children to hagwons in their spare hours thereby bypassing a lot of familial duties in terms of raising their children and having them home for meals, for activities on the weekend etc.

I agree with Julius that Korea is not really a suitable environment for a foreigner with anxiety issues on a significant scale.
comm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap, good post earthquakez
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, and now a mini-thesis about the deficiencies of a entire culture.

I'm not sure the OP is going to cure any anxiety issues by reading the responses here.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Koreans and healthier than Americans,

Man people have been lying to me again with their statistics about highest suicides and colon cancer / stomach cancer in the oecd.

Why do they lie to me like that?

I need to eat more kimchi, clearly.

WHO- stop telling me porkies okay? korena is most healthy nation - eveybodies knowing that one!
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Buspar okay for a drug test? I take Lorazepam, but I know that won't fly in a drug test, so I am curious. TY
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballerina2012 wrote:
Is Buspar okay for a drug test? I take Lorazepam, but I know that won't fly in a drug test, so I am curious. TY

It all depends on what they are screening for. If they are not screening for it, then it will not be detected.

A friend of mine recently had his medical for his China teaching visa. He stupidly smoked half a joint of marijuana two days before in a very silly oversight. He was worried as hell, going to saunas twice a day, drinking lots of water etc. But on the test they only tested for opiods and stimualnts I believe, so even though (despite his sauna efforts) he most likely still had thc in his system - it wasn't flagged as they simply were not looking for it.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquakez wrote:
[ What a joke talking about mental illnesses in the US etc - at least schizophrenics, depressives etc are usually on medication in western countries.

Usually? Is that so?

http://www.schizophrenia.com/newsletter/997/997noncom.htm

Many patients discontinue their medication at some point.

http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/medical/medication-noncompliance.html

According to the second article about half may be not getting the medication they need

Quote:
A growing body of evidence points to the fact that for many people with serious mental illness, lack of insight is a medically based condition. About half of the people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder may not be getting the treatment they need because of a brain deficit that renders them unable to perceive that they are ill, according to one expert.

Quote:
Intrigued by a 1986 study by William H. Wilson, M.D., and colleagues that found that 89 percent of patients with schizophrenia denied having an illness, Amador conducted his own investigation of the issue. Amador and his colleagues found in a 1994 study that nearly 60 percent of a sample of 221 patients with schizophrenia did not believe they were ill.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen Kimchininja's thread on Diablo 3?
Proof that he's a Korean!

northway wrote:

Right, because Itaewon is the only place in Korea where people drink themselves into oblivion.

Stumbling in the street and barfing is an ancient Korean method of finding inner peace. That's how you treat your depression.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you seen Kimchininja's thread on Diablo 3?
Proof that he's a Korean!

Him, 12x7, a few others seem to me to have come over here recently from koreansentry.
falco

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: I've suffered from anxiety and depression most of my life, largely due to being brought up by a bi-polar mother but thats beside the point. At some points in my life its been almost unbearable, like after my father died. The sinking feelings have been so intense its almost indescribable. The nearest thing I can liken it to is falling into a black hole slowly, for days on end. Anyway, I can sympathise with your predicament and can tell you anxiety/depression needn't hinder your career here as an English teacher.

As far as meds go, Dr Parks clinic in Kangnam is a good place to aquire some meds if thats what u really feel you need. He generally pretty helpful and if you insist on any particular medication he will prescribe what u want. I currently take Paroxetine and Seoquel which has made a big difference to me, particularly with sleeping. He charges like a wounded bull though, so if u have have medical insurance make sure you take it with you!

Another great alternative which I discovered on my searches for anxiety/depression relief is Buddhist meditation. Really cant praise this enough although its a long haul, ie. several years (at least in my case), before you really start to reap the benefits. From starting off doing 5 minutes every day, I now do 30+ mins every day. One aspect of Buddhism that is hugely helpful is the realization that your thoughts and mind sets that cause all the problems arent really real, they're just products of an unfettered mind. Theres an American monk who I started off training with who currently has meditation classes at the Buddhist library near Anguk station every Sunday. Hes a great guy who will put you on the right track. Other possibilities are the international Soen centres of which there are several in Seoul (cant remember the addresses! but check the internet if your interested).
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco,

How did you pass the drug test?
falco

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed it ok. I'm not sure but I believe they're only looking for cannabis etc.
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, what about If you know.. Lorazepam? TY!
falco

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Lorazepam a xanax type anti-depressent? Even so, should be ok. As I said they're not looking for anti-depressents, just 'hard' drugs.....lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: