Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANXIETY - looking for advice...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is like a Xanax.. I have a prescription for it, but not sure what to do.. argh.. Seems like there are a million answers to this question.. lol

Thank you..
falco

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about it. If you have a prescription thats fine! They're not looking for prescription meds!!
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!

P.S. ARE YOU SURE!!!! lol
falco

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=3764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I decided to go to Dr Kim at the International Clinic in Itaewon. I was in full anxiety mode when I met with him, which just goes to show how the simplest of interactions affects me lately. I was a tad embarrassed, but on the plus side, I was able to show him exactly what the worst of my symptoms are: extremely shaky hands and watery eyes (an odd symptom, which I didn't mention before).

He was very kind and sympathetic and listened intently while I explained my problems. In the end, he prescribed Rivotril; 0.5mg in the morning and another 0.5 at night. I asked about other medications (like Buspar and Beta Blockers) that I'd read about online, but he said Rivotril is the standard medication he provides for cases like mine.

I've been on it for a few days now, and there's definitely been an improvement. I've been taking the first dose at approx. 9:00 a.m. and the next at 9:00 p.m. I have noticed that, in the afternoon - about halfway between doses - some symptoms (mainly my shakiness) reappear, but mildly, compared to before.

From what I've read online, the dosage I'm taking is small. If the slight mid-afternoon resurgence I've experienced continues, I'll bring it to his attention during my next visit and see about going up to a slightly higher dosage, since I'm not experiencing any side-effects so far, except for a little grogginess (but only in the evening, which I assume is based on the fact that it's close my usual bedtime).

The only thing I'm curious about is that I was given the medication in his office. I ended up having some bloodwork done, to check on my overall health and to rule out the possibility that something else is going on to cause my symptoms, other than just anxiety. While the nurse was taking my blood, I asked about pharmacies in the area where I could go to get my prescription filled. She said she'd point me in the right direction, but then, when it came time to pay, she gave me the bottle of pills then and there.

The visit itself was just under 35,000, but in total I paid just under 77,000. So, I'm looking at 42,000 for 2 weeks worth of medication. That's not terrible, but I'm wondering if, in the future, I should ask for a script that I can take to a pharmacy to get filled. Would it be cheaper to do that? Is there a higher markup when I get the pills in his office?

To be honest, after some time, once I'm on something with a dosage that is right for me, I'll most likely go to Ajou University Hospital instead, since it's closer to my home. But for the time being, I'll continue with Dr Kim. He also referred me to Adaptable Human Solutions, which Sultan also recommended, so I'll be looking into that sometime soon.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll wind up paying a lot more at any international clinic, I believe. A few people have told me that the Dr. you're referring to is one of the biggest quacks in town when it comes to xanax or similar anxiety drugs. He apparently pimps that stuff out but you'll end up paying a pretty penny for it. I went there once and I'll never go back, too expensive. I didn't read this thread and I don't really have anxiety issues, but I have taken xanax for years due to sleeping problems (sleeping pills never worked). 77k for two weeks of anxiety medication is exorbitant here, considering one can get three weeks of Z bars for 10k including both the doctor visit and prescription cost. They hand that stuff out like candy in the US and I always got three month prescriptions continually because I didn't abuse it and it took me five months to go through it.

Korea, on the other hand, gives out poon doses and most MD's here only throw you three week prescriptions, so you have to keep coming back, and it's highly regulated. Though crunking out on soju night after night might be seen as perfectly acceptable, many prescription medications, which can be very beneficial to certain people, seem to come with a lot of taboo. A former girlfriend of mine had crazy anxiety problems but refused to see a doctor about it out of fear that it would wind up shaming her in some way. I guess confidentiality works differently here.

Anyway, I've asked a few doctors how to go about getting some kind of regular prescription for xanax and they told me that visiting a psychiatric clinic once, explaining the issue, then getting a consistent script you can take to pharmacies on a regular basis, is the best way to go. I don't take xanax very regularly in the first place so I haven't bothered with it, but that might be the best way to go about finding the consistency you're looking for. It sounds like general anxiety to me, just need something to calm the nerves.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I'm sure there was a charge for the blood work, too. And I also asked them to test for my blood type, since I'm 31 and don't know what it is. Embarassed That, I know, was 10,000.

So I guess the meds themselves were less than 42,000, but still... I wish I could actually read the breakdown of costs, but since the whole receipt is written in Korean, it's a bit difficult to understand; I find it a little odd that it would be that way at an international clinic, but maybe there's an English option? Another question for my next visit, I guess, after which I'll probably go to Ajou anyway.

jfromtheway wrote:
A former girlfriend of mine had crazy anxiety problems but refused to see a doctor about it out of fear that it would wind up shaming her in some way. I guess confidentiality works differently here.

Along with hoping my anxiety was a phase and doing things on my own in hopes of getting rid of it, that's a big part of the reason I waited so long to seek professional help here. I brought it up to Dr Kim, and he said it's absolutely not something I should ever have to worry about. Hopefully he's right.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean co-worker with to see a Phychiatrist. They advised her to pay in cash, and that most patients do, to avoid it showing up on their national health file. This file is referenced when trying to get certain jobs.

"Based on the country�s Medical Act and State Public Officials Act, patients suffering from 77 of the 400 illnesses are prevented from obtaining state licenses and qualification certificates such as a doctor�s certificate."

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2952724
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfromtheway wrote:
You'll wind up paying a lot more at any international clinic, I believe.

absolutely this. you are doing yourself a huge disservice by going to a foreigner clinic as the foreigner tax at most of them are not insignificant.
falco

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashcard Queen.....just out of interest, how did the medical test go ?
jenilyn8705

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep a good supply of any past medication with you and perhaps have a friend or family member mail some more to you as needed (if possible).

That Adaptable Solutions place in Seoul is a good choice. One another thought is to possibly find a therapist in the states or Canada that would be willing to do Skype sessions with you to help manage. That's honestly what I've done because, unfortunately, Korea isn't really a place that really offers much support in this sort of thing. It's quite sad really, because this is a place that probably needs it the most.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider Xanax an anti-depressant. It's an anti-anxiety drug, a benzodiazepine, there is a difference. Now I noticed someone here is taking Seroquel...big difference between the two. I know, I used to sell Seroquel before I came to Korea.

Now, if you're taking a benzo I believe you'll be OK if you get tested in Korea...if you're worried just stop taking it for a day or so if you can, a drug like lorazepam has a very short half life if I'm not mistaken.

Best of luck, you'll be fine.
Flashcard_Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco wrote:
Flashcard Queen.....just out of interest, how did the medical test go ?

Before I renewed my contract in February, I had a full medical check done at Ajou. It was at my school's request (for their files, apparently), although nobody ever asked me for it in the end, and it wasn't needed at immigration either.

Everything was fine, but I wasn't taking any medications then, so as to whether or not they'd show up and cause problems, I can't say for sure. I know it's a concern for a lot of people, but the general consensus in this thread seems to be that prescription meds for anxiety/depression are a non-issue, and that they're only screening for hard drugs, so as long as you don't mention you're taking something when the doctor asks, you're good to go.

As for the blood work I had done last week in Itaewon, I got an email from the doctor two days ago saying that I'm suffering from "vitamin D insufficiency", which is "associated with weak bones, low immunity, fatigue, weight gain and mood fluctuation" and that I "need further evaluation and treatment".

The results are interesting because this year, for the first time, I started taking Vitamin D3 (1000 IU) during the winter months. I'd heard it's something people tend to do, and since my aunt works at a pharmacy in my hometown, and I'm able to use her discount, I got it when I stocked up on other things, like vitamin c, echinacea, cold medications, etc.

I took it every day from the beginning of January until the beginning of May. Whether it's a coincidence or not, my anxiety become much worse around the time I stopped taking it. So, I'm back on it now, and we'll see if that makes a difference with any further blood work/tests I have done when I visit the clinic in Itaewon again.
Ballerina2012

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie,

Can I pass the test on Lorazepam??
falco

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I may have mentioned before, if your interested in a real long term solution to depression and anxiety, you should consider meditation. I've been meditating for over two years now and I wish I'd started when I was much younger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: