Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A belated birthday gift in the form of a cashier's check...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoylaMBPolymath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: A belated birthday gift in the form of a cashier's check... Reply with quote

A dear friend of mine sent me a birthday present (my birthday was the first week of June), and it just arrived. She's older (in her 60's) and not the most technologically adept of individuals. Because she is an angel, she sent me a book, a beautiful card, and a cashier's check for $100USD. My question is as follows: Can I take this check to my bank (KEB) and deposit it without any hassle? I have no problem with waiting. If anything it will be like a welcome surprise to check my balance and see a little extra money.

Does anyone else have any experience depositing a U.S. Cashier's check into their Korean KEB account?

Thank you in advance.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did recently deposit a US personal check into my account at Shinhan, so a cashier's check should be possible as well. Expect them to charge you a fee for the service (I think I lost about $15 on the transaction) and it might take as long as 2 weeks for it to clear, but I'd be surprised if KEB couldn't do it at all.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a bank account in your home country? Simply mail the cashier's check to that bank with a deposit slip.
SoylaMBPolymath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Do you have a bank account in your home country? Simply mail the cashier's check to that bank with a deposit slip.

I do have an account back home. BofA, but I don't think I have a deposit slip with me and would just as soon try my luck with KEB. Also, in addition to lacking tech savvy, my friend is also a bit of a procrastinator. She sent the cashier's check last week even though it is dated for the 7th of June. But I don't blame her. She was on vacation. The check expires 90 days from the date it was issued. I'd rather avoid the rigmarole of sending it back to the States.

Thank you for your input!
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran out of deposit slips for my bank while I was overseas, I simply included a letter with the check. I've never had a problem with that. Send the letter, including in the body of the letter your bank account number and, of course, your name, along with the endorsed check via express mail. Even first class mail for a letter shouldn't take but a week to get to the addressee. Just make sure you don't tell the folks at the Korean post office there's a check in the envelope. Korean checks are basically "pay to anyone" money orders and thus the post office won't send them. Write on the customs form "business document."

ETA: I bet if you called the bank or used the online banking message service, you could get someone to send you a scan of a deposit slip.
davai!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no customs form necessary for a letter. make sure to address your bank as "BofA" not written out , for the same reasons above.
SoylaMBPolymath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all again.

A lot of useful information has been imparted.

I may have to weigh the costs and benefits of sending the check back to my bank versus the potential fees incurred if I am able to deposit the check here with my Korean bank. If worse comes to worst and I am unable to deposit the check I shall just send it back to my friend so that she can get some of her money back.

Again, many thanks for your advice.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: