Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Severaly disrupted lives because of the CBC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:
Quote:
Do Koreans who apply for permanent residency in another country have to supply a CBC?

My wife had to submit a criminal record check from every country she had spent more than 3 months since she's been over the age of 16 (for her it was 3 countries). Also required was a medical check, financial disclosure, a letter detailing her plans for living in Canada, evidence of our marriage (photo's, joint bank accounts, plane tickets, child's birth certificate, marriage certificates, bills etc.) We had to do 2 interviews (one together and one separate) and about 60 pages of applications.

As her sponsor I was also required to provide my work history over the past 5 years, a CRC, and finances/tax returns and much more..

My wife must also live in Canada for at least 70% (?) of each year. Her PR is good for 5 years and took between 10-14 months to process.

I got my F visa in 5 minutes here in Korea..I had to submit our marriage certificate. There was no interview..

You just walked in, threw your marriage certificate on the table and said gimmie an F5. Yea right. Didn't have to talk to anyone, yea sure buddy. 5 minutes, yea I believe you.

Everyone else should believe your story too.
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Visa in Korea, her ID card, our marriage certificate, family registry, my passport and a one page application... I didn't need a CRC. Pretty sure it was free (maybe 20 bucks?).. Her Canadian PR cost around 1300 CAD not including documents and things.

For her Canadian PR everything I mentioned before (plus a lot more). Literally hundreds of hours of work to obtain everything. For us from start to finish it was a 20 month process. We heard if we went through a lawyer it could be done from beginning to end in 10 months, but it would have cost us an extra 3-4 grande.

Having gone through the process in both Canada and Korea, I can't even begin to explain how much easier it was for me in Korea than for my wife in Canada.

I always laugh when I hear people complain about having to get a medical check or CRC in order to live in Korea.
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not believe me? Ok.. I have an F6 not an F5 but anyways, that was how it was for me. You don't have to believe me.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
OP you mispelled severely in the title.

This is an English teacher's message board and your grammar should be correct.

His grammar is correct. It's his spelllingg that's in question.

Wink
michpottier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough Korea is pretty tame when it comes to minor criminal incidents. They are quite over zealous when it comes to drugs, but many countries are like that. The worst country in the western world when it comes to visas and admissibly is CANADA. I always thought it would be the US, but in Canada if you have so much as careless driving on your criminal or even DRIVING record, you are banned from Canada for 5-10 years, even as a TOURIST, let alone any kind of residence/spousal visa. Even after the 5-10 years are up you have to apply for rehabilitation, and pay 200-1000$, with no guarantees of success. Therefore the next time any Canadian wants to marry a foreigner, make sure you ask for their full history, or you may find your Canadian wedding will missing the bride or groom. Korea actually has a heart when it comes to spousal sponsorship. Who knew?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn.... I thought this thread was going to be interesting. Time for some beer and soup.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:

My wife had to submit a criminal record check from every country she had spent more than 3 months since she's been over the age of 16 (for her it was 3 countries). Also required was a medical check, financial disclosure, a letter detailing her plans for living in Canada, evidence of our marriage (photo's, joint bank accounts, plane tickets, child's birth certificate, marriage certificates, bills etc.) We had to do 2 interviews (one together and one separate) and about 60 pages of applications.

As her sponsor I was also required to provide my work history over the past 5 years, a CRC, and finances/tax returns and much more..

My wife must also live in Canada for at least 70% (?) of each year. Her PR is good for 5 years and took between 10-14 months to process.

I got my F visa in 5 minutes here in Korea..I had to submit our marriage certificate. There was no interview..

Yep we had a professor at my University from Canada. He just crossed the border every 3 months rather than face U.S. Immigration to get permanent residency.

Try getting citizenship for a Korean cutie in the U.S.A. I won't even discuss it.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there might be some differences in status between a F-visa and a permanent residency in Canada. I could be wrong however.
jimmyjames1982

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently denied a E2 visa because I have an arrest record for driving without a motorcycle license on my FBI check from 2006. It is a non moving driving traffic violation and it was dismissed in court. It clearly states dismissed on the FBI paper. I have already worked in Korea for 4 years with references and no problems with Korean authorities. What a crock of chit
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
I think that there might be some differences in status between a F-visa and a permanent residency in Canada. I could be wrong however.

Isn't a F5 here basically the same as PR in Canada? They seem pretty similar to me.
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Isn't a F5 here basically the same as PR in Canada? They seem pretty similar to me.

Do they have the right to vote? (F5)
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differences between my F6 and my wife's Canadian PR that we have noticed so far...

1) Her PR is good for 5 years, my F6 is good for 3.

2) She has limits on how long she can be outside of Canada (I believe it is no more than 30% of any given year). It doesn't matter how much time I spend in Korea on my F6.

3) If either of us apply for Wellfare in Canada I must (as her sponser) pay it back to the Canadian gov. within x amount of years and it is almost certain that her PR will be denied when she tries to renew it (clearly states this on the application). If we claim Wellfare in Korea we do not have to pay it back to the Korean gov. Not sure about being denied a renewal if this were to happen.

Neither of us can vote in national elections, but we can work and do anything else within the laws of the country.

These are the differences that we have noticed. There may be other things as well, but they are likely minor.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^F6 is not permanent residency, F5 is.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bourque wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Do they have the right to vote? (F5)

In local elections, yes.

My wife has PR in Canada, and I have an F5 here - seems odd to have both, I know.
mscoop1085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, CBC for certain misdemeanors are okay. I know that, I'm living proof and they renewed my visa this past year. Felonies of course are a big no no in any part of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: