Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you afraid to eat Chinese kimchi?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goreality wrote:
Most Chinese people won't even eat things produced in China if they can afford not to....why would anyone expect Koreans to take the risk.

Because the most can't tell the difference when eating out. I don't expect them to but they eat Chinese kimchi more frequently than they think they do. Same is true for han-woo and imported beef.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:
Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
And some of you guys think the stuff I say is absurd, wow.

Not at all, you cheeky kyopo. It's established as fact that the high salt content in the majority of Korean food is the reason that stomach cancer is so high here. I'd also advise to not overindulge in red pepper paste and soju. Both of which are bad for your health.

I'm pretty sure it's the fermentation that is linked to stomach cancer, not salt, which is of course still bad for, but in other ways.

The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/21/world/fg-kimchi21

High salt foods and foods high in nitrates have been proven via massive scale studies to increase the risk of gastro intestinal cancers.

My doctor told me the reason Koreans get so much of that type of cancer is probably salt and nitrates.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:
And some of you guys think the stuff I say is absurd, wow.

Not at all, you cheeky kyopo. It's established as fact that the high salt content in the majority of Korean food is the reason that stomach cancer is so high here. I'd also advise to not overindulge in red pepper paste and soju. Both of which are bad for your health.

LOL @ "you cheeky kyopo", I don't even know what that means but it's funny. I'm a white guy, isn't kyopo a Korean Amercian?

Everyone dies of something, just use common sense, it's obviously a lot healtheir than Amercian food.

Just beware of the Chinese demon chili powder!
newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
"you cheeky kyopo", I don't even know what that means but it's funny.... I'm a white guy, isn't kyopo a Korean Amercian?

Yes, it is. You learn something new everyday, eh?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If kimchi is so dangerous then why do Koreans have one of the longest life spans of any country around the world?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
If kimchi is so dangerous then why do Koreans have one of the longest life spans of any country around the world?

I actually think Koreans are going to show much longer life spans going forward. The people dying have been oldies who lived thru wars, they had it hard, and still lived long lives. This young generation is going to live forever, as long as they don't go the way of McD/KFC of course.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
"you cheeky kyopo", I don't even know what that means but it's funny.... I'm a white guy, isn't kyopo a Korean Amercian?

Yes, it is. You learn something new everyday, eh?

That was more of a confirmation (like "what the hell you talkin' bout Willis?") than a learning. But yeah, I guess I did learn something today, but not on Dave's.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL @ "you cheeky kyopo", I don't even know what that means but it's funny. I'm a white guy, isn't kyopo a Korean Amercian?

Everyone dies of something, just use common sense, it's obviously a lot healtheir than Amercian food.

Indeed, a kyopo is a Korean American. In that case your posts are ignorant rather than rabidly nationalistic.

Quote:

Korea is 20th out of the 30 OECD countries, which is hardly the longest life span of any country in the world. Factor into that the fact that Koreans tend to look after their health more than most and have a good health care system then you find that the Korean life span is not as impressive as your question would suggest.
Most posters here stated that it is Korean food in general than is the cause for high rates of stomach cancer. While this includes kimchi it does not exclude all other Korean food. This has been proven and is available in online journals for you to peruse at your leisure.
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised that Koreans live longer than Americans on average. Especially considering the hardships that the older popation has had to survive through.

Maybe it is true what they say about kimchi after all? Smile
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

Indeed, a kyopo is a Korean American. In that case your posts are ignorant rather than rabidly nationalistic.

^ Dumb person award.

Do you guys just make this up as you go? Are you sure you have the right person? Which country would my posts favor if I am "nationalistic"? KR? US? Am I on someone's "side" do you think? Do you view life as sides? These are the questions I ask.

I'm "internationalistic", and not a part of anyone club.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you guys just make this up as you go? Are you sure you have the right person? Which country would my posts favor if I am "nationalistic"? KR? US? Am I on someone's "side" do you think? Do you view life as sides? These are the questions I ask.

I'm "internationalistic", and not a part of anyone club.

"You guys"? I'm one person, hence the singular Seoulman and not the plural Seoulmen. Try to keep up.

Your post could be construed as nationalistic due to its dismissal of the well established fact that the high level of salt in Korean food leads to higher stomach cancer rates in Korea. Stomach cancer is one of the major causes of death in Korea. Therefore, as I posted earlier, Korean food is a killer. By dismissing this as "absurd" shows either ignorance or blind nationalism. Either you are too stupid to go online and search for the papers that prove this or you can't stand to hear anything negative about Korean food. This was the reasoning behind my earlier post. Your poor grammar would also hint at either not being a native English speaker or being stupid.

Finally, I do not view life as sides. I view life as the chance to gain knowledge. I sleep well knowing that by reading this post I will have increased your knowledge about a subject you clearly know nothing about.

You're welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: