Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The stand up thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugwall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Privateer"]
pugwall wrote:
Privateer wrote:
pugwall wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7L3D8Ndqo

Amazing comedian, Reginald D Hunter. American guy who is popular in the UK right now. I think would be big if he went back to the states.

He's a hack. I think he's one of those guys who's in the UK because he couldn't or wouldn't be able to make it in the US. Not that he's not funny, just not that great.

Bill Hicks, of course, ended up huge-er in the UK than the US. He was most definitely a legend, but The Machine got a little uncomfortable with his observations and banished him.

Nah, he has been in the UK for over ten years. He came over to study acting. I hope your insinuation is not that American comics are better than British ones. I love American comics BTW (Doug Stanhope, Louis CK etc) but the UK is just as discerning a comedy market as the US. Stand-up is big business in Blighty

I'd love you to prove me wrong, but that kind of is my insinuation. Not that there aren't some brilliant stand-ups in the UK - a few mentioned on this thread - but there seem to be more of them in the US. As far as my tastes are concerned anyway.

Just have to agree to disagree then. Probably more humor is culturally based, than any level of objective funniness. Jay Mohr, Russel Peters and Dane Cook are as funny as asbestos in my book tho, so maybe you just haven't come across any of the good British comedians. Another one who is hot right now is Russel Kanehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmvMmoamF8

Bill Burr is spectacular, thanks so much to this thread for introducing him.
Greekfreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, to this day, almost nothing else makes me laugh harder than Looney Tunes.

I grew up watching Sid Caesar, Carol Burnett, Steve Martin, SCTV, Bizarre, Four on The Floor, etc. But stand-ups are different beasts.

I still love Don Rickles--and he's still going strong! But hands down, nobody beats Richard Pryor for my money. "Is It Something I Said" is a must-own album. I've heard a lot of Lenny Bruce, and while his writing is brilliant, a lot of his bits are just too damn long (not to mention extremely dated).

I never cared for Carlin, and don't really care too much for Louis CK; he's a better dramatic actor than comedian in my opinion.

I was and still am a huge Dice Clay and Sam Kinison fan--Bill Hicks also. British comedy to me meant Frank Spencer. I have no time for Monty Python or that ilk.
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Spencer? What about Benny Hill?

Patton Oswalt is a pretty funny standup.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know this guy in the US as well? I guess he must have done something there in order to make so much money. Most people I talk to think he's a bit middle of the road and I tend to agree

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4735808/Comic-Michael-McIntyre-rakes-in-21m-from-Showtime-tour-making-him-worlds-most-successful-stand-up.html
gforce645

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who really enjoy stand up comedy, do you consider yourself funny too?

The comic who's routine is about jerking off, diarrhea, sex problems, and annoying families is all too predictable (but not relatable) to me. Its the more cerebral comics who tell clever stories and well spun anecdotes are the ones that catch me off guard and get me to laugh occasionally.
Lunar Groove Gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a few great stand up sets:
Robin Williams Live at the Met was brilliant
Dennis Leary "No Cure for Cancer" also
Some of George Carlin's complete sets are like symphonies of ideas and rhythm
and language
Daniel Tosh had some great ones on Youtube for a while
I like Bill Burr via this thread
thanks.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:
For those who really enjoy stand up comedy, do you consider yourself funny too?

The comic who's routine is about jerking off, diarrhea, sex problems, and annoying families is all too predictable (but not relatable) to me. Its the more cerebral comics who tell clever stories and well spun anecdotes are the ones that catch me off guard and get me to laugh occasionally.

Can you recommend anyone? Eddie Izzard fits that description, for starters.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With American standups, they can either be super funny or just loud and boorish. Bill Burr, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt are great, but guys like Joe Rogan and Jim Norton rely on shouting bug-eyed at the crowd and whooping "Hell yeah!" a lot.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
With American standups, they can either be super funny or just loud and boorish. Bill Burr, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt are great, but guys like Joe Rogan and Jim Norton rely on shouting bug-eyed at the crowd and whooping "Hell yeah!" a lot.

I can understand what you're saying. But, I think you should give Rogan another chance. Have you ever listened to his podcast? At times they have a bust, and it's usually around three hours long, but it's pretty mind expanding and I think you would enjoy it. I think it's the top downloaded comedy podcast, as well. And that's saying something for a three hour long podcast, but they go deep. He definitely borrows heavily from Hicks and Kinison, but give his podcast a shot if you have time, he's actually very laid back. I hate idol worship on any level so I don't want to sound like that guy, but I commute a lot, and have really gotten into Rogan's podcast in the last 5-6 months. Love it.

I also understand what you're saying about Norton (I never really liked him before). But, I heard him on Opie and Anthony a few times and have heard him on other podcasts, and his quick wit and open depravity is unmatched.

Regarding Burr, Rogan's podcast dissected this little nugget not too long ago. I thought it was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ugC8HXMzY8
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Joe Rogan doesn't seem all that funny to me, but Jim Norton is good.

I'm resurrecting this thread for Chris Turner. Clever jokes - a bit like Jimmy Carr - delivered deadpan style. And he also does freestyle rap. Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej8EaLF382c
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody mentioned Ross Noble? I saw him at the Edinburgh comedy festival years back and he tore a new one in some hecklers. Defo got a thumbs up for that! I met mark lammar in the toilets at the same festival, hes a fecking funny guy.
I also saw sean huges before he sold out. again, very funny guy. And Harry Hill, he was a a bit obscure but funny before he moved onto tv.
Not so much a fan of jimmy carr these days, he good with hecklers but seems to make too many cheap cracks about sex.

Bill hicks was a god.

Just an obsevation, but it seems to me that americans always went for observational comedy whereas brits seemed to like something a little bit abstract (unless its a classic comedian, jasper carrot, dave allen etc.).
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
gforce645 wrote:

Can you recommend anyone? Eddie Izzard fits that description, for starters.

Maybe this: Swimming to Cambodia by Spalding Gray.

I just rewatched it & its a riveting & disturbing monologue with smart humor. "Take what you've learned here and go back to Krumville." I'd call it a work of genius.

You can stream it sequentially off youtube (starting here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCGmra0eFQk ) or find it elsewhere.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks to everyone who said Bill Burr. I had never heard of him and I'm laughing my ass off here! Laughing
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You're welcome. Smile

Love Bill Burr.

And, I can't believe no one has mentioned Dylan Moran on this thread. There are some brilliant Irish stand-ups out there. Dylan is one of the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVV7e2FGpg

"this image of the weak, sensual, pleasure-loving French, you know, not going to war because they're still in bed at 2 o'clock in the afternoon..."
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this because I've been watching a lot of standup stuff recently, and am on the look out for new stuff. Here's my quick rundown:

Jimmy Carr: Laughing and Joking. Quickfire adult gags. Not for the overly PC or sensitive souls. Some very funny moments.

Aziz Ansari: Dangerously Delicious & Buried Alive. Never seen him before, but he is a seriously funny guy.

Eddie Izzard: Madison Square & Force Majeure. One of the best standups out there, IMO. Very intelligent and often surreal. Brilliant.

Donald Glover. I like him in Community, but he just doesn't have the chops for an extended solo set. A few chuckles here and there.

JB Smoove. Awful. He is great in Curb, but this was terrible from the beginning. Lots of shouting and grandstanding with very little finesse. Also, why do so many black American comics fixate on how black people and white people allegedly do things differently? White people go like this, but black folk go like THIS!

So, any new stuff you can recommend? I heard Dave Chappelle is back..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: