Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your take on the current secession thingie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
A southerners views on the people talking about secession. I thought he made some good points in relation to the state he lives in. The language is strong so you might want to watch the volume depending on where you're at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YdkxUK-UJA&list=UUtlfyd1Xs9CtxfBNP9_IgAw&index=3

What a waste of a few minutes I'll never get back.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Are conservatives just traitors?

Yes. When conservatives speak of secession, they're being traitorous. When liberals speak of secession, they're being rational.

Rolling Eyes
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: the use of "thingie".

I've noticed that mainstream liberal or left writing in the United States is increasingly using the linguistic characteristics of teenage female gossip talk. Sites like Gawker, Slate and Jezebel are written as if a 15 year old girl at Forever21 was dictating into her mobile phone.

Here's an example:

http://jezebel.com/5964754/the-32-biggest-wtfs-about-the-32-things-every-man-should-do

That style is fine for a low-brow piss and moan site like Jezebel, but the style has seeped into the mainstream. I even caught myself doing it recently and I don't read those sites.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Hartford Convention was an event in 1814�1815 in the United States in which New England Federalists met to discuss their grievances concerning the ongoing War of 1812 and the political problems arising from the federal government's increasing power. Despite radical outcries among Federalists for New England secession and a separate peace with Great Britain, moderates outnumbered them and extreme proposals were not a major focus of the debate."

The end result was the self-destruction of the Federalist Party.

I don't know how much attention this got on the MSM, and I'm 154% certain that Fox didn't give it any attention, but it almost certainly got enough attention that the general public heard that the conservative/libertarian [there is no objective difference] segment of the population has brought the concept of secession back to the mainstream, after 150 years.

The Hartford Convention happened in late 1814, mid-way in Madison's administration. It was followed by two terms of Monroe (same party) and then JQ Adams.

If past is prologue, maybe this means Obama is followed by 8 years of H. Clinton, and then...Cuomo? Maybe conservatives will have a shot at the White House in 2032? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: