Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an apartment in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Buying an apartment in Korea Reply with quote

As usual, search is jacked up so my apologies if this has been done to death. I did try to find an existing thread before I created this thread.

The girlfriend and I are starting out 'settling down' talks and she brought up getting an apartment in the future and I'm trying to get an idea of what that entails. I've heard of key money but don't really know how that works. Do you get a loan from a bank as you would in the States? And obviously real estate prices differ wildly from place to place in Korea but what could I expect to pay for a mid-range apartment in a smallish city like Pohang? I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

If anyone has a link to an existing topic, I'll take that, too.

-S-
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're talking about renting an apartment not buying one. I don't know about Pohang or loans, but it's pretty straight forward: Find an apartment and put key money down for it. Key money is just a ridiculously large deposit you put down like you would in the US. Modest averages are usually around 5-20 million won, but key money can be EXPENSIVE, especially that Jeonsae business. Just make sure you register it. You get the money back when you leave or if you find someone to take over your lease. And then you just pay the landlord monthly rent. My ladyfriend is from Pohang she just said Pohang is certainly/obviously cheaper, but I have no clue.

I put down key money for my own apartment here and I don't regret it. I like not having my job and my residence tied together, get some space, autonomy, etc.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four main types of systems for renting/buying apartments here, and they are:

1) Rent (렌트)

This is when you pay monthly rent on your apartment with no deposit. The catch is you have pay a lot of the rent up front, usually one or two year's worth. Rent is usually for expats who live in expensive apartments, i.e. they pay 40 million won for one year's rent.

2) 월세

This is when you put down a fairly large deposit and pay monthly rent. The more deposit you put, the lower your rent will be. Typically, for every 10 million won you put for deposit, your rent will be lowered by 100,000 won a month. I don't know about Pohang specifically, but I'm guessing to get a decent sized place, say 25평, which would have 2 or 3 three bedrooms, an actual living room and separate kitchen, and bathroom with bathtub, you'd probably need to put down 10 million won deposit and pay around 700,000 a month rent. In some of the nicer parts of Seoul, a similar sized apartment would be double price: 20 million down, 1.4 million a month.

3) 전세

This is when you put down a very large deposit, typically 30 to 50 percent of the purchase price of the home. The benefit is you don't have to pay any monthly rent, though you will still need to pay 관리비 and other bills. You will get your money back when you move out, but you need to be careful in this situation. Make sure the real estate you are working with is reputable. Check the owner's financial situation. If his or her debt is more than half the value of the apartment, it would be better not to do 전세 in that case. 전세 can range from about 30 million won for an old, run down, but fairly large place to 5 billion won for 100평 penthouse apartment.

4) 매매

This is when you buy the apartment. It becomes yours. You can get a loan, but you need to have about 50 to 80 percent of the purchase price in cash. Housing is expensive in Korea. Even in Pohang, I'd wager that it would be hard to get a decent place for less than 80 million won. In Seoul, purchase prices range from about 80 million for an older 주택 style place, to 200 million to 1 billion for a decent medium rise apartment, to 10 billion won for a deluxe apartment like the one I mentioned above.

In any case, after moving into an apartment, you should register your name and address with the 동사무서 and/or the 구청. That way your deposit money will be protected and you have more legal resources available to you if there is a dispute with your landlord about the deposit money.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many locations, jeonse is more than 60-80% of the purchase price. I've seen officetels in Ilsan that go for 95%.
Jimskins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't buy an apartment in Korea. It would be madness to do so now or for the forseeable future based on the state of the market, get jonsei.
Wiltern

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the weolse option, is there a minimum amount of time you need to stay (like a typical one-year lease in the US)?
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
I think you're talking about renting an apartment not buying one. I don't know about Pohang or loans, but it's pretty straight forward: Find an apartment and put key money down for it. Key money is just a ridiculously large deposit you put down like you would in the US. Modest averages are usually around 5-20 million won, but key money can be EXPENSIVE, especially that Jeonsae business. Just make sure you register it. You get the money back when you leave or if you find someone to take over your lease. And then you just pay the landlord monthly rent. My ladyfriend is from Pohang she just said Pohang is certainly/obviously cheaper, but I have no clue.

I put down key money for my own apartment here and I don't regret it. I like not having my job and my residence tied together, get some space, autonomy, etc.

No, talking about buying. My girlfriend tells me we can get a decent place in Pohang for about 100k USD. She said she wants us to have at least half that down for the downpayment, then get a loan for the rest. So over the next 2 years or so, she expects me to be saving and she'll do the same.

I will ask my girlfriend what type of buy/rent she was expecting and hopefully get a better idea. She mentioned going to a bank for the remainder of the purchase price, so I'm thinking she meant 매매.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, you're most likely going to need more than 50% down - it's sometimes dependant on location though (speculative zones and such).

Also, be prepared that to qualify for a mortgage, your income may or may not be applicable.
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
As mentioned above, you're most likely going to need more than 50% down - it's sometimes dependant on location though (speculative zones and such).

Also, be prepared that to qualify for a mortgage, your income may or may not be applicable.

A friend of mine got a place in Daegu, total about 120 million, with only 28 million down. Wonder what he did.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 100 million? Pohang is cheap! Good for you and your soon to be wife. In nice areas of Seoul, that wouldn't cover cheonsay on a decent 2 bedroom! Cheonsay on 3 bedroom apartments where we live are at 300 million+ for about 33 Pyung.

But, yes, the system is pretty straight forward when you buy, although a bit reversed from the US system. In the US, you qualify for a mortgage (or prequalify) and THEN you can buy. Here, you agree to buy and THEN go in to qualify for a mortgage, at least in many instances. Your future better half sounds good with the coin in that by having at least 50%, you're more apt to qualify for a loan on a 100 million won purchase.

Good luck to you. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything in Seoul as prices are heading south with no end in sight, but Pohang may be different. Ask your future wife to do some serious checking before you commit to the buy; renting or cheonsay might be better. At only 100 million to begin with, there might not be much room to go lower. Find out about historical trends there as a first step, do your research, and go into the deal with both eyes wide open.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Wow, 100 million? Pohang is cheap! Good for you and your soon to be wife. In nice areas of Seoul, that wouldn't cover cheonsay on a decent 2 bedroom! Cheonsay on 3 bedroom apartments where we live are at 300 million+ for about 33 Pyung.

But, yes, the system is pretty straight forward when you buy, although a bit reversed from the US system. In the US, you qualify for a mortgage (or prequalify) and THEN you can buy. Here, you agree to buy and THEN go in to qualify for a mortgage, at least in many instances. Your future better half sounds good with the coin in that by having at least 50%, you're more apt to qualify for a loan on a 100 million won purchase.

Good luck to you. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything in Seoul as prices are heading south with no end in sight, but Pohang may be different. Ask your future wife to do some serious checking before you commit to the buy; renting or cheonsay might be better. At only 100 million to begin with, there might not be much room to go lower. Find out about historical trends there as a first step, do your research, and go into the deal with both eyes wide open.

IMO 300 million for a three bedroom is cheap for city the size of Seoul if the apartment is of good quality. That's the problem in Korea many apartments you can buy now will not be livable in twenty years. I want an apartment that will last. For 270,000 USD I could buy nothing but a studio apartment in my home town and maybe half of a studio in my wife's hometown.

Koreans spend the lowest in OCED on housing as a percentage of their income. Look it up if don't believe me. Because of this I believe the housing market in Korea has the potential for some further growth.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked it up anyway.

"households on average spend 16% of their net disposable income on keeping a roof over their heads, the lowest level in the OECD, where the average is 22%."
The housing market is not expensive in Korea compared to their income.

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/housing/
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, At least here in daejeon, jeonsei is about 3/4 of the price of the house. For example for a 200million won place we would need to put down 150 million won...

Most likely your income wont count towards a bank loan for jeonsei . Even if you make a crapload more money than your gf/wife. most banks will flat out just tell you they dont give out loans to foreigners.

If you ( as a foreigner) want to borrow money from the bank, It doesnt really matter how much money you have in the bank or how much you make. You need to have collateral ie: own an apt , own land , business ETC... Or you need to have a cosigner thats willing to put up there own collateral.

That being said, I've heard of foreigners getting mortgage loans by themselves. Not quite sure what they did though. =)
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
I looked it up anyway.

"households on average spend 16% of their net disposable income on keeping a roof over their heads, the lowest level in the OECD, where the average is 22%."

I'm sorry but.. that is bogus.

Look at the cost of an average place in Seoul. Look at the size.
Now look at the average wage in Seoul - see how your 16% doesn't totally add up.

The only way that number stays low is if people rent with Cheonsae... and get low interest rate for their deposit. But if anyone is unable to afford Cheonsae, and are stuck with monthly payments, they'll soon see the true expense of rent here.

Or, as your link notes - there are more people living in said (small) household. In Korea, we all know, that people tend to live with their parents until they are married. As well, many parents move into their children's home when they get older. This would very easily skew those number, IMO.

AbbeFaria wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

A friend of mine got a place in Daegu, total about 120 million, with only 28 million down. Wonder what he did.

Did he buy, or rent it - because you seem confused about the two from your OP. As well, is he a k-national, or a foreigner?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
I looked it up anyway.

I'm sorry but.. that is bogus.

Look at the cost of an average place in Seoul. Look at the size.
Now look at the average wage in Seoul - see how your 16% doesn't totally add up.

It makes sense if you include the whole country. Housing outside of the Seoul/Gyeonggi regions is generally pretty affordable (in that 150k-250k for a 4-room), about half the populations lives in those cheap regions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: