Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBI check if you are British but spent 2 years in U.S.??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mineybhoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: FBI check if you are British but spent 2 years in U.S.?? Reply with quote

I am worried as I am in the U.K. but due to start a position in February and the recruiter has just said the Visa application has been held up as although I am British I spent 1999-2001 in the U.S. and they cant verify I had no crimes commited while in America. Besides the fact that it may take too long to send my complete fingerprints to America and get this certified it seems the FBI only do this check for American citizens. Anyone Help?

A worried prospective teacher.
Setaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-apply to a different recruiter but this time neglect to write that you spent 2 years in the USA? That would be an easy solution.
mineybhoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setaro wrote:
Re-apply to a different recruiter but this time neglect to write that you spent 2 years in the USA? That would be an easy solution.

Thanks for your advice. I was hardly in the U.S. Even if I could get the document the British government here would not apostillise it as they only apostillise U.K. documents. Bit of a mess really.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A know a number of Americans who attended my university in Canada (myself included) and were able to get visas without issue. This is usually a recruiter issue, and occasionally you'll get an overzealous recruiter who thinks that you need two background checks. It's possible that immigration has made this a hard and fast rule since I and my friends last applied, but I'm doubtful.
Benjamino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FBI check if you are British but spent 2 years in U.S.?? Reply with quote

mineybhoy wrote:
I am worried as I am in the U.K. but due to start a position in February and the recruiter has just said the Visa application has been held up as although I am British I spent 1999-2001 in the U.S. and they cant verify I had no crimes commited while in America. Besides the fact that it may take too long to send my complete fingerprints to America and get this certified it seems the FBI only do this check for American citizens. Anyone Help?

A worried prospective teacher.

Interesting. I wasn't in the UK for all of 2011 but still only needed a CRB check from the UK not the country where I was living in. I did this via the web and supplied scans of bank statements as proof that I was still technically a UK resident, even though working abroad.

I wasn't ever asked by the recruiter to provide a police check from country I lived in during 2011.

I thought Korea only needed a police check from your home country?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: