Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone else noticed this, three.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Has anyone else noticed this, three. Reply with quote

I've been watching a bit of tv recently. I like to watch the football on espn and the movie channels. When it comes to the adverts I've noticed that females are depicted in ways that some may consider old fashioned, or antiquated. I've yet to see an advert that shows an empowered woman. Related to this, why does Korea insist on infantilizing females, particularly young woman? And why do Korean woman encourage this behaviour but playing along with the charade?

Has anyone else noticed this, or do I just have too much time on my hands?
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone else noticed this, three. Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
I've been watching a bit of tv recently. I like to watch the football on espn and the movie channels. When it comes to the adverts I've noticed that females are depicted in ways that some may consider old fashioned, or antiquated. I've yet to see an advert that shows an empowered woman. Related to this, why does Korea insist on infantilizing females, particularly young woman? And why do Korean woman encourage this behaviour but playing along with the charade?

Because a very large portion of the money control/market is still controlled by men that secretly wish they had a young submissive lady at their feet, bowing and serving them.
sligo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snickers advert shows a group of women in evening style dress with high heeled shoes making a hash of playing basketball, and then moaning that they are shit. After a bite of a snickers bar, they turn into strong men who are fairly competent at putting a spherical object through a ring. It seems that only men can excel in sports, even with a chocolate bar.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sligo wrote:
The snickers advert shows a group of women in evening style dress with high heeled shoes making a hash of playing basketball, and then moaning that they are shit. After a bite of a snickers bar, they turn into strong men who are fairly competent at putting a spherical object through a ring. It seems that only men can excel in sports, even with a chocolate bar.

I thought the commercial was hilarious. It's like that Betty White commercial playing football.
3DR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sligo wrote:

I also thought it was hilarious, but I knew there would be people like you that would needlessly make it into an overblown feminist issue.

Fact...men are better than women at basketball on average. This shows in how poorly the WNBA does in comparison to the NBA.

There was nothing in the commercial about women not being able to excel in sports. Women can and do excel in sports, but on average, men are better. Nothing sexist about it at all. Take a chill pill.
3DR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone else noticed this, three. Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:

What do you mean by infantilizing? Give examples.
Julius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone else noticed this, three. Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
why does Korea insist on infantilizing females, particularly young woman? And why do Korean woman encourage this behaviour but playing along with the charade?

Its not a charade, its the reality of how young agashis are supposed to be polite to older men.

Many young korean women I've worked with do the whole bow, cutesy small talk and offer tea to whichever honcho walks into the school. The ajoshi doesn't even have to be high status- it could be the repairman.

Its kind of sick to see because they would never do the same courtesy to foreigners, even if you hold a PhD.
rollo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westerners wory about the strangest things. Relax!!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait are we seriously wondering why commercials during sporting events are directed at the juvenile male mind?

Sorry, this isn't a Korean only phenomenon. Did we not watch sports at home? Every other ad is a beer or car ad.

Heck there's the whole annual GoDaddy.com Super Bowl kerfuffle? The Brent Musberger BCS hooplah?

I mean, sports have cheerleaders and swimsuit editions. Heck, men will turn off the TV if there are women play-by-play announcers or color commentators, sideline reporters are fine though.

What's next, wondering why WWE always has ads for Mountain Dew, Pizza, Video Games, and Doritos during its broadcast?
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean advertising is as sophisticated as any other. You pitch to who ever will spend the money by making them feel good. In the case of Snickers Bar is 20-30 male. Watch shopping chanels and you'll see some emasculating ads.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a man I'm not that bothered about this issue. It was just something I noticed. However, for the sake of continuing the discussion I will play devil's advocate.

Quote:
I also thought it was hilarious, but I knew there would be people like you that would needlessly make it into an overblown feminist issue.

Fact...men are better than women at basketball on average. This shows in how poorly the WNBA does in comparison to the NBA.

Professional women basketball players are better than most men. Why didn't the snickers ad use them instead of other guys? Why didn't they start with glass wearing, bowl hair cut dweebs instead of women? Why did they use women at all? This advert just reinforces the belief in peoples heads that women aren't good at sports. The advert is not a professional game so there is a good chance that an all female team could beat the other team. Why did the ad makers feel the need to start with females? It just reinforces the Korean belief that women should stay within the boundaries of femininity imposed by Korean society.

Quote:
What do you mean by infantilizing?

Infantilize - treat (someone) as a child or in a way that denies their maturity

Quote:
Wait are we seriously wondering why commercials during sporting events are directed at the juvenile male mind?

No. I specified that I also watched the movie channels.
Lazio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Why didn't they start with glass wearing, bowl hair cut dweebs instead of women? Why did they use women at all?

Because they are celebrities. Those girls in that Snickers ad are the K-pop group: Sistar. Maybe it puts your theiry into a new perspective.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex has long been used in advertising.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QiMw1Q65d4
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that Snickers ad, I thought it was funny. My gf told me the girls were singers.

I think it's pretty obvious that the majority of women in Korea don't seem to enjoy working out or playing sports. At least from what I've seen. At my gym, women just jump on the treadmill or bike or yoga. I've only seen two women lift.
3DR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
As a man I'm not that bothered about this issue. It was just something I noticed. However, for the sake of continuing the discussion I will play devil's advocate.

Quote:

Professional women basketball players are better than most men. Why didn't the snickers ad use them instead of other guys? Why didn't they start with glass wearing, bowl hair cut dweebs instead of women? Why did they use women at all? This advert just reinforces the belief in peoples heads that women aren't good at sports. The advert is not a professional game so there is a good chance that an all female team could beat the other team. Why did the ad makers feel the need to start with females? It just reinforces the Korean belief that women should stay within the boundaries of femininity imposed by Korean society.

Quote:
What do you mean by infantilizing?

Infantilize - treat (someone) as a child or in a way that denies their maturity

Quote:

No. I specified that I also watched the movie channels.

Hmmm...most women aren't good at sports.

Could an all pro female team beat an average male team at basketball? Of course.

Key word here is PRO. Do you really think you can take the average woman who dresses in heels and skirts everyday, pit them against grown men who have played sports all their lives, and they will win?

I mean it's not even a sexist issue to me. There are differences between men and women physically which allow more men to excel at sports than women.

Again, not saying there are no women who aren't good at sports, because I have a lot of favorite women athletes. But there is a reason why there are men's and women's divisions at the high school, college, and pro level.

People are offended by everything nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: