Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner Teacher, just got rejected by EPIK, what now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxh1985

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Beginner Teacher, just got rejected by EPIK, what now? Reply with quote

Hello everyone Very Happy

I have been looking for teaching jobs in S.Korea for some time now and havnt been making much progress. I was wondering if any of you out there could give me some advice.

I am from the UK, have a BA degree in a non teaching subject, 140 hour TEFL cert, not really any teaching experience and have all my documents ready to go.

I just spent the last few weeks applying to EPIK, which took a crazy amount of time and effort. I had the Skype interview. Then a week later i had an email from my recruiter, saying basically 'its a no, and theres no feedback from EPIK because they're so busy. They had a huge number of applicants and not as many posts to fill this year'.

Im just getting worried this isnt a great time to be looking for work in Korea as a beginner teacher - due to how competitive everything is getting now.

Ive had a look at GEPIK, but not too keen on the thought of being somewhere quite remote, with an hour journey to Seoul as my only option to go out and socialse.

As a beginner teacher should I not be getting my hopes up in terms of getting a public school job in a semi decent area or an ok hagwon job in a semi decent area?

This has been my dream for so many years now and I want to do it right. Starting to think I might have to start looking at other countries.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

thank you for your time.

Last edited by maxh1985 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you write a cover letter?

Did you do a YouTube introduction video?

Are your CV pictures professional looking?

Are you youthful/good looking?

Did you have anyone with some TESL experience look at your practice lesson plan?

If you said NO to any of these, you might have your answer right there. It could also be that they had already staffed most of the positions before they got to you, or that a local teacher walked into their office shortly after your interview. The later seems more likely than the former.
maxh1985

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I did everything I was told to by my agency. I had to write a 500-800 word essay on my educational philosophy (guess thats a pretty extensive cover letter?) I wasnt told to produce a youtube cover video, My picture looks professional (shaved, shirt, tie) Im 28 (im no oil painting but nothing too grotesque in my apearance im hoping!) My agency looked over my lesson plan and said it was fine.

Maybe I was quite late in applying, just wish my agency told me it was a long shot before I went through that much hassle and stress.

Thanks for the suggestions Smile any more advice about the job climate in general these days?
Charlie Bourque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxh1985 wrote:
Basically I did everything I was told to by my agency. I had to write a 500-800 word essay on my educational philosophy (guess thats a pretty extensive cover letter?) I wasnt told to produce a youtube cover video, My picture looks professional (shaved, shirt, tie) Im 28 (im no oil painting but nothing too grotesque in my apearance im hoping!) My agency looked over my lesson plan and said it was fine.

Maybe I was quite late in applying, just wish my agency told me it was a long shot before I went through that much hassle and stress.

Thanks for the suggestions Smile any more advice about the job climate in general these days?

From my understanding, a YouTube introduction can go pretty far with schools, because it gives them an idea of what you would look like in front of a class. It also gives you a chance to sell yourself even further than an essay and an often restrictive interview.

I would say that your best bet is to try for the September 2013 intake. Applications will be starting up in a few months. Most recruiters like to start in April or so, interviews in late June, documents sent in July, visa in August, orientation a couple weeks later.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at ESL teaching in Korea becoming fierce competition.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner Teacher, just got rejected by EPIK, what now? Reply with quote

maxh1985 wrote:

Ive had a look at GEPIK, but not too keen on the thought of being somewhere quite remote, with an hour journey to Seoul as my only option to go out and socialse.

As a beginner teacher should I not be getting my hopes up in terms of getting a public school job in a semi decent area or an ok hagwon job in a semi decent area?

A large number of jobs in Gyeonggi (GEPIK) are closer (in terms of commute time) to the night-spots in Seoul than many places that are actually IN Seoul.

You'd be far better off focusing on the job and getting to Korea than worrying about being "an hour" from Seoul in a country with one of the best public transit systems on the planet.

With that said, keep looking (at everything) and not just with your one recruiter.

Any PS positions that will be found now will be done by schools that didn't get their "NET" through the teacher assignment lottery from EPIK/GEPIK and will be done through their own privately hired recruiter.

With the tight job market in Korea it will take a bit of luck to land a decently located PS position. There are always the "run-of-the-mill" hagwon jobs but quitting to change jobs isn't easy so you may have to just work through your year then try again next winter for a spring EPIK position.

Thailand will hit their peak hiring season in March/April for May starts but you will need to get there on your own. 1st year newbies usually don't make much and have little in the way of savings potential.

China is picking up now but the bulk of the decent jobs won't start till late summer or Sept.

Japan is looking now for eikiwa (hagwon) jobs. JET is a much better choice but recruitment starts about a year in advance.

There are always buxiban jobs in Taiwan but again, it is a "boots on the ground" affair.

Good luck to you.

maxh1985

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Bourque wrote:
maxh1985 wrote:

From my understanding, a YouTube introduction can go pretty far with schools, because it gives them an idea of what you would look like in front of a class. It also gives you a chance to sell yourself even further than an essay and an often restrictive interview.

I would say that your best bet is to try for the September 2013 intake. Applications will be starting up in a few months. Most recruiters like to start in April or so, interviews in late June, documents sent in July, visa in August, orientation a couple weeks later.

Yeah I know GEPIK definately ask for a youtube video, might try and make one now and go for GEPIK then, see what happens. Not sure I can wait until September to get out there. Dont want to get tied down to living in the UK! thanks for the advice Smile
maxh1985

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner Teacher, just got rejected by EPIK, what now? Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the info tom. I know your right, the security and quality of the job does have to come first and foremost. I might just go for GEPIK anyway and see what happens.

Im signed up with a few agencies, but they seem to have gone very quiet now.

As you say, will just have to keep the search as broad as possible and see what comes up.

Thanks again
watergirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The only thing you've done wrong is too apply late. The public schools, from what I understand, are quite bureaucratic and they hire or start getting the applications in before you started applying. Check with others, but it's much earlier I think.
There are some last minute schools I see (I've been looking at ads lately too but I'm in Korea) but they seem to all ask for people in Korea.
The semester starts in 3 weeks.
Have you considered the big recruiters, because schools will need people throughout the year.
By the way, recruiters are HOrrible to deal with. They really will not tell the truth, but I've seen KORVIA and FOOTPRINTS both put ads up posting that there were still positions.
By the way, as another poster said, being in the 'suburb's of Seoul, is often nicer, easier to meet outher expats, less crowded, nicer and bigger apts, cheaper. REally, Korean suburbs, even an hour out, are not the country by any means. Even the top of ski hills here have a convenience store.
They don't really have 'suburubs' like we do back in our countries.
That said, try to get close to a subway.
maxh1985

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks watergirl, that makes me feel a bit better! Been starting to feel like I havnt got much hope as a beginner, but ill keep trying. i know what you mean about dealing with recruiters, it can be fustrating at times. Thats reassuring to hear about the surrounding area of Seoul, might be too late for GEPIK now, but could be worth a try
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks watergirl, that makes me feel a bit better! Been starting to feel like I havnt got much hope as a beginner, but ill keep trying. i know what you mean about dealing with recruiters, it can be fustrating at times. Thats reassuring to hear about the surrounding area of Seoul, might be too late for GEPIK now, but could be worth a try

Where in the UK are you from?

Bear in mind that how you speak in future interviews is very important!

If you have a strong (dirty) 'accent' try and hide it! Very Happy

If you have to wait until Aug/next march to come over here do something to better yourself in the meantime. Have an exit strategy for when you leave Korea!

Volunteer/get a job working with children in the meantime - local primary school, reading with the kids ect.... Is not a bad idea if you have no experience with kids.

A good one would be to maybe volunteer

here: http://www.gypsy-association.co.uk/ or your local councils educations dept.

Really working in any way, shape or form with kids before coming to Korea will help your application. Working with more 'difficult' children is also quite good on many different levels too Razz
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get licensed in your own country to teach K-12 schools and see how responsive the Taiwan public schools recruiters become to your applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: