Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life is short
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Life is short Reply with quote

When I turned 20, I came to the realization I was halfway to 40 and a third of the way to 60. It was a devastating feeling. Life had gone by so quickly. Soon I would be dead. That scared me a lot, because I didn't want my life to be over. My 25th birthday came with the reminder I was halfway to 50, and a third of the way to 75. With each year after this, the ratio became more frightening. Now, I am more than a third of the way to my death. Hell, I might even be halfway there. I read on the international job forums about non smokers teaching ESL in China who died of lung cancer in their fifties. Very scary stuff. There is so much I hoped to accomplish in life that didn't materialize. By knowing life goes by so fast, we can take a good hard look at how we are spending our time, and ask ourselves if we are making the right choices.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is short Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
... and ask ourselves if we are making the right choices.

Live, reproduce, die.

Biology is happy. Correct choices were made.

Task accomplished.

Cacille

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't agree with "reproduce" myself, but that's because I'm a rare Asexual.

I've never been scared of being old, getting older, dying...I just live. I do what I do now because I like it, not because I have no other choice. I'm a natural teacher...so much so that my coteachers are surprised when I ask a question, cause it's like I'm one of them. Always have done what I loved, and am comfortable with myself in at least that respect. So am I scared that I haven't done this or this and I'm already 30? Nah. I'm proud that I've been world traveling (not a lot, but more every few years), I'm proud that I'm childless and very happy without a partner, happy to be a gamer, have good friends even though we are far apart, happy to be teaching and volunteering, happy with life at the moment.

Often, I have to question myself and ask myself "am I stagnating, comfortable, or am I missing anything I should be doing?"
When the answer isn't "comfortable", I find a new dream. That's why I'm here.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saved, I'm not afraid of death - I know where I'm going. Very Happy
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live not to reproduce, but rather to expend my will.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/nu8Q0
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:

That's cute ... really.

OP, have you made a bucket list ??

When I turned 35 , I realized, damn, I better get started on things I really want to do! So , I went sky-diving ... exactly ONE week after two guys died in a tandem jump at the same spot. I figured 'What better time to do it ??? (safety-wise)

Anyways, I recently taught the bucket list lesson to my students & I was pretty happy with the things I've done in the past 6 years. (I'm 41.) I've got good relations with my family / parents & I have NO regrets. If I die tomorrow, oh well. I've gotten the most I could out of my life so far. Everyones gotta die sooner or later.

I could always travel more & I'm checking new countries off the list very year , but the only Major thing I haven't done on my list is get married & have kids ... which is kinda out of my control, since I haven't 'the one' & I don't take marriage lightly. If it happens, it happens. In the meantime, I'll live the life the best way I can.

So, if there are things you want to do, why haven't you done them ??? If you can, start checking them off your 'bucket list' one by one, before it's too late.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Life is short Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
When I turned 20, I came to the realization I was halfway to 40 and a third of the way to 60. It was a devastating feeling. Life had gone by so quickly. Soon I would be dead. ..snip.

You're just like my wife. I hate when you do that. Live in the moment. Enjoy what is happening right now.
kinship

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:

Really? Even though your attitude towards Koreans and Koreans is less than stellar?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

Really? Even though your attitude towards Koreans and Koreans is less than stellar?

What about your attitude towards non-Koreans?
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

If your claim is that born again believers of Jesus Christ should be sinless it isn't happening--not for Matthew, Luke or John, either.

Paul said in Romans:

"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do�this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it..."

That is the sinful nature that all Christians still have living alongside them even though they are saved. What I heard one time from a pastor (that I really liked) was that the object of a Christian life is to sin LESS - not to become sinless. And if you've seen how I was a long time ago until now you'd see the maturation process and would see that I am living more like Christ today than I did 10 years ago. But everyday is a struggle not to sin and many times I fall into the trap (as does everyone else in the world--no exceptions (except Jesus). The Bible says that sin will wage war against the flesh until the day you die. You don't know my personal struggles/sins/hardships so you can't judge me. A lot of my frustration being away from home, my family not being able to see my daughter, not being able to communicate perfectly in my own language, not having a car and total freedom and the racist xenophobes I deal with constantly comes out as "bashing" on this board. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings at some point before.
I'm much more pleasant in America.

Last edited by Dodge7 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
kinship wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

If your claim is that born again believers of Jesus Christ should be sinless it isn't happening--not for Matthew, Luke or John, either. Paul said in Romans that he does what he does not want to do (sin), and the things he does want want to do (not sin), he does...that is the sinful nature that all Christians still have living alongside them even though they are saved. What I heard one time from a pastor (that I really liked) was that the object of a Christian life is to sin LESS - not to become sinless. And if you've seen how I was a long time ago until now you'd see the maturation process and would see that I am living more like Christ today than I did 10 years ago. But everyday is a struggle not to sin and many times I fall into the trap (as does everyone else in the world--no exceptions (except Jesus). The Bible says that sin will wage war against the flesh until the day you die. You don't know my personal struggles/sins/hardships so you can't judge me. A lot of my frustration being away from home, my family not being able to see my daughter, not being able to communicate perfectly in my own language, not having a car and total freedom and the racist xenophobes I deal with constantly comes out as "bashing" on this board. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings at some point before.
I'm much more pleasant in America.

I'm sorry, but Dave's is not a place to get into any particular religion. That usually becomes problematic. I understand the good intentions of the person posting, but we have those rules for a reason.
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be good to your folks
have things you want to do/buy
learn at least 3 cool things

and thats good

can be better, thats for you to decide...
slothrop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a zen anecdote.

there was a very prosperous man who lived in town who had a son who also grew up to be prosperous. when the son had a healthy baby boy the new grandfather sent his servant to the local buddhist monestary to request the head monk visit his home and bless it by writing something wise in the form of calligraphy. the head monk was only too happy to do this as the new grandfather had always donated generously to the temple and had acquired many merits over the years.

the old monk and his young novice visited the house and were greeted warmly and offered green tea and biscuits. after awhile the old monk was given some paper and ink and he set to work writing his blessing. everyone waited expectantly, curious at what wisdom he could bestow on their house. the young novice looked over his masters shoulder learning so he could someday take over this task. when the old monk finished he smiled and held up what he had written...

"First grandfather dies
second son dies
lastly grandson dies."

everyone in the family was shocked and outraged that this monk could write such a horrible thing on such a joyous occasion, especially since they had given so much to the temple over the years. the old monk and his novice were thrown out on there ears and told to never come back.

while walking home the young novice asked the old monk why they were so upset by what he had written, the old monk shook his head and responded "i really don't know. i wrote the best of all possible outcomes for their family. after all, what order would they have prefered?"
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacille wrote:
don't agree with "reproduce" myself, but that's because I'm a rare Asexual.

I think there's an app for that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: