Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to "understand" Korean culture? (serious)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
War Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
How is criticizing xenophobia a misunderstanding of culture? There are Koreans who are against Korean xenophobia. Do those people don't understand Korean culture?

Criticizing xenophobia is not misunderstand culture. No one ever said that. Please reread. What was said is that characterizing Korea as unique due to certain qualities was misunderstanding world culture.
augustine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is stubborn. He keeps not making any points, no one quite understands exactly what he's trying to say, every single poster in the last four or five pages has disagreed with him, yet he keeps trucking on. Confused
War Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
This guy is stubborn. He keeps not making any points, no one quite understands exactly what he's trying to say, every single poster in the last four or five pages has disagreed with him, yet he keeps trucking on. Confused

The ONLY thing I'm am trying to say was in the OP. All of the points are there, clearly labeled. As I said before, the rest is just banter. You obviously want something more out of this thread than I am willing to provide, when in reality the concept is simple: arm yourself with the tools necessary to have an informed, rational discussion rather than blindly ranting.

Besides, I told you, I was bored. As long as others keep trucking on, I'll continue to deposit my 2 cents Very Happy
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to "understand" Korean culture? (serious) Reply with quote

War Eagle wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
Ok, can you give us some examples of which judgements you believe are uninformed?

I read the examples you posted about alcohol, prostitution, and suicide.

You have answered your own question to an extent. I'm not going to go through the posts on Dave's to find examples where people have started ranting about issues they weren't fully knowledgeable of. I am sure everyone will agree that not every poster on Dave's makes well-informed judgements.

hiamnotcool wrote:
The issue I have with those is that Korean society is very aware of them. The way you are approaching this subject it seems you don't think Korean people are capable of fixing them so they shouldn't be judged negatively because of them. I personally think Korean people are capable of fixing them, and that is why I have no problem negatively judging those aspects of their society.

I'm not sure what your overall opinion is on Korean culture, but from what you have posted it seems to be pretty bleak. It's like you are telling us to give up on Korea improving. I think every culture can change without foreign influence for the better. Korea doesn't have to move toward Western culture to improve, it can focus on it's internal problems and manage them in a way that is true to collectivism or whatever you want to call it.

Quite the opposite. I have praised Korea for its relatively quick cultural progression over the last 50 years. I have also expressed my optimism that it will continue to do so. If you choose to judge Korean society negatively, then great. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions and the right to speak them. What bothers me, as stated in the OP, is when people express those opinions without first attempting to understand why things in Korea are different from their home countries.

Yeah, everyone everywhere makes ill informed judgements. I think if you provide some examples, like specific complaints it will be easier to see what you are getting at here.

"praised Korea for its relatively quick cultural progression" - ok explain to me how a culture progresses. What exactly should Korean culture be heading towards? A country being considered fully developed doesn't necessarily mean that it's culture has changed. I think you are looking at Korea as if it has to change it's culture to be more like the west, when that really isn't the case. Whether an eastern country becoming more westernized is real progress is a matter of opinion really.

I think you are taking the books and articles you read too seriously. I think you are taking them so seriously you are denying what might be staring you in the eyes in real life every day. I would argue that anyone that has lived in Korea for a few months is qualified to give their impression of what they think Korean culture is like. What you see is what you get. How do foreigners feel when dealing with Korean culture? What is it like to live as a foreigner in Korea? Ask a foreigner and you will get a first hand account. How do foreigners perceive Koreans? Ask a foreigner and you will get a first hand account. Any culture anywhere can't expect everyone that visits to be well read on it's history and development. I think the way a country handles people that are totally ignorant of it's culture is an aspect of that country's culture in and of itself. It's not all about being well read on the subject.

I'm not judging Korean society negatively. I actually have a really positive view of Korean society in general. I just don't consider alcoholism, prostitution, and a high rate of suicide positive aspects of Korean culture. I also think Koreans don't always go about explaining their culture in the best way to visitors. This often leads to misunderstandings. I don't think collectivism or cultural identity is an excuse for any of these things. Do you?
War Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to "understand" Korean culture? (serious) Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
Yeah, everyone everywhere makes ill informed judgements. I think if you provide some examples, like specific complaints it will be easier to see what you are getting at here.

"praised Korea for its relatively quick cultural progression" - ok explain to me how a culture progresses. What exactly should Korean culture be heading towards? A country being considered fully developed doesn't necessarily mean that it's culture has changed. I think you are looking at Korea as if it has to change it's culture to be more like the west, when that really isn't the case. Whether an eastern country becoming more westernized is real progress is a matter of opinion really.

I think you are taking the books and articles you read too seriously. I think you are taking them so seriously you are denying what might be staring you in the eyes in real life every day. I would argue that anyone that has lived in Korea for a few months is qualified to give their impression of what they think Korean culture is like. What you see is what you get. How do foreigners feel when dealing with Korean culture? What is it like to live as a foreigner in Korea? Ask a foreigner and you will get a first hand account. How do foreigners perceive Koreans? Ask a foreigner and you will get a first hand account. Any culture anywhere can't expect everyone that visits to be well read on it's history and development. I think the way a country handles people that are totally ignorant of it's culture is an aspect of that country's culture in and of itself. It's not all about being well read on the subject.

I'm not judging Korean society negatively. I actually have a really positive view of Korean society in general. I just don't consider alcoholism, prostitution, and a high rate of suicide positive aspects of Korean culture. I also think Koreans don't always go about explaining their culture in the best way to visitors. This often leads to misunderstandings. I don't think collectivism or cultural identity is an excuse for any of these things. Do you?

I am sorry. I do not feel like sifting through posts to find specific examples of people's complaints. The main point, which maybe I should have bolded in the OP, was that Korea is not unique, and many of the things people find "wrong" about Korean culture is actually the norm rather than the exception when looked at from a global scale. Whether those things are in fact a "problem" or "wrong" was never ment to be put into question.

I praised Korea for it's relatively quick progression down the path towards individualism. Sorry fixed that.

And, I am not in any way naive when it comes to the actual situation here in Korea. I have seen it all (figuare of speech, not literally). I have had women refuse to take the same elevator as me in my old officetel, and I am a decent looking guy who dresses nicely; I have been told many, many negative remarks regarding my country and other Western countries that boarderline on insane; etc.

People assume my desire to understand Korea is an acceptance of the culture and all of its ways and as an attempt to make excuses for what it has done. This is other people attempting to draw conclusions while ignoring the main idea of the OP, which may be my fault for not making it clearer. Some people read what they want to and comment on what suits their mindset.

I am glad to hear you have a positive view of Korean society. I wish more did.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to "understand" Korean culture? (serious) Reply with quote

War Eagle wrote:
atwood wrote:
How do you know that they don't understand?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. But, I guess there's no way for certain to know that they haven't studied the subject, but choose to ignore what they have learned.

If I ask the question "what's 2 plus 2" and someone tells me 5, is it safe to say they don't know how to do math, or should I consider the fact they do, but choose to ignore it?

When people talk about this "unique place" called Korea because of its xenophobic ways or its adult children who live with their family until they are married or its......., is it safe to say they don't have an accurate understanding of world culture or should I consider the fact they do, but choose to ignore it?

You've repeatedly claimed that your post was objective in nature, that you were not making any claims for Korean culture, yet here you are implying that anyone critical of Korean culture doesn't understand it. Using your 2 + 2 analogy, I'd say that adds up to you defending Korean culture.

I also find it odd that you would criticize a description of Korea as "unique." It certainly shares much, maybe most, of its culture with China, but it's not China.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
One look at the North tells you what naturally happens to koreans when left to their own devices. Abject misery.

Exactly. North Korea is closer to the real Korea. What makes the South different is its political and economic alliance with the US. Sure South Korea is still seriously messed up (to put it mildly), but that's a product of having the same base culture as the North. Unlike the negatives, the positive things about South Korea do not come intrinsically from 'within' Korean culture, they are imported from the West. Why are North and South Korea so different? Answer: one embraced many aspects of Western culture, the other opted to stick with the Korean path. The results are telling. Having said that, there's still enough Koreaness in the South that culturally, underneath the facade of modernity, it's not really all that different from the North.Confused

And that's sad.
War Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Want to "understand" Korean culture? (serious) Reply with quote

EDIT: I deleted this post answering atwoods comments because I now choose to disregard what he writes until he starts attempting to add something constructive and non-critical to the conversation. Also, his comments have already been addressed.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Julius wrote:
One look at the North tells you what naturally happens to koreans when left to their own devices. Abject misery.

Exactly. North Korea is closer to the real Korea. What makes the South different is its political and economic alliance with the US. Sure South Korea is still seriously messed up (to put it mildly), but that's a product of having the same base culture as the North. Unlike the negatives, the positive things about South Korea do not come intrinsically from 'within' Korean culture, they are imported from the West. Why are North and South Korea so different? Answer: one embraced many aspects of Western culture, the other opted to stick with the Korean path. The results are telling. Having said that, there's still enough Koreaness in the South that culturally, underneath the facade of modernity, it's not really all that different from the North.Confused

And that's sad.

Your post cuts to the heart of the matter.

Judge collectivism by its fruits--Soviet Russia, Maoist China, NK. What do all have in common? Famine that drove some parts of the population to cannibalism, concentration camps and mass torture, inhumane authoritarianism, siege mentality leading to uber-nationalism.

So now that we understand collectivism, which the OP said is his only agenda, we should be able to put this thread to bed.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Julius wrote:

And that's sad.

Judge collectivism by its fruits--Soviet Russia, Maoist China, NK. What do all have in common? Famine that drove some parts of the population to cannibalism, concentration camps and mass torture, inhumane authoritarianism, siege mentality leading to uber-nationalism.

So now that we understand collectivism, which the OP said is his only agenda, we should be able to put this thread to bed.

Nice to see you conveniently left Japan out of the "bundle". It is a highly collectivist society yet it prospered. It is not as cut and dry as collectivism is flawed. It is far more complex than that and context matters so much.

As for famine, poverty and oppression, Russia has been free from Soviet Communism for a couple of decades now and things sure are not all that rosy yet they have worked towards individualism....

France is far more collectivist in its social contract (public healthcare, public retirement funds, free schooling) than North American countries, yet it does well. Scandinavia is highly collectivist in how it runs its societies, the social contrat there is very collective-oriented. Yet, it thrives.

By comparison, many countries focused on individualism struggle and have abysmal poverty issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Want to understand Korean culture? I want to understand the centrality of 'phlegm' in Korean culture. Honestly, it's omnipresent. No act is complete without a phlegm-related sound or act. I've travelled the world and I've yet to encounter another culture that places phlegm-related acts at the center of all social interaction.

Unpleasant...and primitive.

UAE.

Seriously. They love it there.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
atwood wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Julius wrote:

And that's sad.

Nice to see you conveniently left Japan out of the "bundle". It is a highly collectivist society yet it prospered. It is not as cut and dry as collectivism is flawed. It is far more complex than that and context matters so much.

As for famine, poverty and oppression, Russia has been free from Soviet Communism for a couple of decades now and things sure are not all that rosy yet they have worked towards individualism....

France is far more collectivist in its social contract (public healthcare, public retirement funds, free schooling) than North American countries, yet it does well. Scandinavia is highly collectivist in how it runs its societies, the social contrat there is very collective-oriented. Yet, it thrives.

By comparison, many countries focused on individualism struggle and have abysmal poverty issues.

Japan modernized with the help of England, accepted international law and ended up dominating Asia. It's not collectivism that accounts for its success.

Think of all the eccentrics in Japan. Think of what made Honda and Sony great--innovation from creative individuals. Think of the emphasis on quality workmanship from the individual. Those do not fit into the collectivism the OP is talking about.

European socialism is an agreed upon system, for the most part. It is unlike Asian collectivism which is based on filial piety, a concept which controls, to a degree enslaves, the populace. One person (one man in reality) whose word is law, no matter how flawed those words may be. That's far different from the governments of France and Scandinavia.

Look at the difference in the safety net those societies provide. Asian collectivism does almost nothing of the sort.

Modern Russia hasn't really advanced beyond collectivism. Centuries of it have left the populace unprepared for it. So they look for a strong man to lead them and they end up with Putin.

You said context matters so much. It certainly does, so I have provided some for your examples. And remember, the OP was written about Korean collectivism, which is an offspring of Chinese thought.

I'm interested in the countries you have implied have failed to prosper due to an emphasis on individuality. You could you name a few so I can see exactly how you're making this judgment? Thanks.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
1) confirm not English teacher, 2) similarlly confirm owning a school (not "claiming"), but 3) no to "parents bought me a Kia". That part is absurd, because I don't drive.

4) a troll who also posts under the name Zackback.

So pathetic.

You guys actually believe his stories about making six figures a year working in IT for a multinational company?

If he's not in ESL, why is he posting on this board?

Even (noted apologist) Cosmic Hum called Kimchi Ninja a troll.

God, Kimchi Ninja (and Zackback) makes so many terrible posts. It really sucks because it is dragging down the quality of the forum.

KimchiNinja wrote:
Yeah, I thought her little essay was pretty good.

Actually I thought there was something very important buried in her thinking; a growing realization by people around the world that the USA is finished and that nations should start to alley-up / trade with the future powers (China, etc) and start cutting the USA out of the picture.

There's going to be some big global shifts this century, and this chick is onto it bigtime. If she's got hots as well as brains I want her phone number.
Unposter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Patrick on this one.

All cultures have aspects of individualism and communalism. You will find both in Korea both historically and currently and you will find both in our home cultures as well.

Family units (whether nuclear or extended), churches, businesses, clubs and organizations, public (as in outside the family unit) schooling, fraternities and sororities, even going to night clubs and discos are all examples of communal behavior.

I think we should be careful of black/white dualism in any discussion of culture.

What we are really talking about is degrees of individualism.

I think we can find many aspects of heard behavior in Korea, as well as in our home countries. I also think we can find many examples of in-group loyalty in Korea but I certainly think we can find that in our home countries, such as preferences for people who share the same political party, religion, church, disco, musical artist as us.

There is nothing unique about in-group/out-group relations.

On the other hand, I do think there is a stronger tendency to criticize these relationships in most Western countries than it is in Korea. It has much to do with Western history and Western education as much of the ("subtle") differences of culture between our home countries and Korea.

It is easy to understand that we need to understand where a person has been (walk in his shoes) before we can understand him or her. The same can be true about (the admittedly abstract notion) of a group of people or culture.

When people (individually and collectively in culture) understand that we understand where they have come from, there is a tendency to be more accepting of any discussion of his/her/collective behavior/culture.

There is also more of a chance that visitors to that culture will be more accepting and more relaxed around different behaviors of their own.

I would also like to add that while language is a part of culture, language is not culture itself. Understanding a language may help someone understand a culture but learning a language is not the same as understanding a culture and can be mutually exclusive.

I personally think there are advantages to learning Korean culture, seperate from the advantages of learning the Korean language if one wants to live and work in Korea.

I would also like to add, despite TJ's protests, that from my experience and perspective, there is considerably less oversight of the English-language education industry than the rules on the book suggest. And, while I do think this lack of oversight both helps and hinders FTs in Korea, usually when FTs complain about the English-language education industry, it is because of this lack of over-sight.

Now, I find this interesting because my home country, the U.S., seems to be moving more and more in this direction. And, I find it amusing that in some ways the U.S. is copying Korea (and other developing countries which generally have less over-sight and regulation than developed countries). I guess this is really a two-way street.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Nice to see you conveniently left Japan out of the "bundle". It is a highly collectivist society yet it prospered.

I think Japan certainly has collectivist tendencies in aspects of their society, but at the same time I think they have faded away a lot in the post war years.
In addition, having lived in both Japan and Korea, I found Japanese people in general to have a much more individualistic outlook and behaviour than Koreans. There is a lot more counter culture, underground movements and sub cultures in Japan. I was shocked the first time I was in Seoul, just how similar people dressed and their interests.

In my neighbourhood in northern Tokyo, every second Sunday, most people would go outside and sweep the streets and pick up trash. No one really wanted to do it, and I certainly never joined in, but nevertheless the streets were spotless. That was one "collectivist" thing I liked. Pride in their communities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: