Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

poisonous snakes in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just assume that they are all poisonous and that they can kill you. Works for me.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakes are fine, most of them will run a mile (slither a mile?) when they see you, but do tell, are there scorpions in Korea? Those little #$&*ers really give me the creeps. Specially about six months ago when my daughter asked me come and look at the cockroach with a big tail on her bedroom wall.
Falstaff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the US Navy for servicemen in Korea.

Quote:
(b) Snakes: Four species of poisonous snakes exist in South Korea. Avoid any snakes. If snakebite does occur, use standard first aid for snakebites and seek medical attention immediately. First aid for snake bites:

Still trying to find what snakes those are, though.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only poisonous snake I've seen in Korea stands about 5'7" tall and wears a cheap light green suit to the office in the summer.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this spring, I've come across about thirty snakes, most of them are the same species and are not aggressive. They have a reddish hood that they can flex like a small wannabe cobra when they stand up. They have greenish and brown markings on the body.

The information about the viper species posted about is correct, the only thing needed now is some identification details.

I've come across some snakes that I wasn't familiar with yet approached them anyhow with leather gloves and a poker stick. You just have to look for that triangular-wedge shaped head--those are the vipers.
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]wbkenglish.com[/url] sometimes features photos of Korean snakes on the Seosan link...

I've always been fascinated with snakes, and used to be in the snake club at my school, where we captured and kept a few African species.
Generally its pretty hard to tell which are venomous and which aren't, if you don't know them properly.
Much hysteria and irrational persecution surrounds snakes, but most are harmless and will avoid you at all costs. But be careful out walking on cold mornings, when they often are sluggish and sit bask on paths and roads to warm up. Also, tread carefully around their usual hangouts under rocks or rocky areas in the woods, and try not to brush against overhanging branches where tree snakes live.
The most spectacular snakes are the African ones..also I saw a few Australian snakes, the "dugite" springs to memory as a large and aggressive beast.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had a lifelong admiration for snakes. i tried to catch a small viper that i saw in the bush near suwon a couple of years ago but he was a bit fast for me. have looked for a good book in korean reptiles to no avail. have found books on every other aspect of fauna and flora but no reptiles...... (even found a fascinating text on freshwater algae!)

anyone know of one.... "what the book" - can yu help me here?

rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
i've had a lifelong admiration for snakes. i tried to catch a small viper that i saw in the bush near suwon a couple of years ago but he was a bit fast for me. have looked for a good book in korean reptiles to no avail. have found books on every other aspect of fauna and flora but no reptiles...... (even found a fascinating text on freshwater algae!)

anyone know of one.... "what the book" - can yu help me here?

Its a case of there not being enough species resident in Korea to warrant the publication of a single field guide...similar to England, for example, that hosts only 6 reptile species. I believe the number of snake species alone, never mind other reptiles in my home country, Zimbabwe, is 67, by contrast.
Interest in wildlife and ecology in Korea has never been high...It took years for the one and only guide to birds to come out..and even then it is lacking much information.
You may need to order a guidebook to the reptiles/amphibians of China, for example, which would include any species found in Korea.
Google it..if no joy, go to the wbkenglish website and click on one of the sponsoring links, such as "seabirds"...keep going and you will find a wildlife booklist for the world..
dogshed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: wikipedia Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_in_Korea

I created this. If you know any more about these snakes please post.
-Jeff
Col.Brandon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot of a snake I took when I was hiking near Pohang. It's roadkill, so don't follow the link if you're squeamish.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/fltlt_hardball/Avatars/ExoticRoadKill.jpg
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a snake near my school last week. (in the countryside) It's the first time I have seen one wild in Korea. It was very similar to the snake in the roadkill shot.
bombenhagen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty dirty snakes, global warming means that those crazy things will be all over the world in 50-75 years. Tell me, any crazy spiders in Korea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: